Purdue

Last night, I was diligently adding to a massive spreadsheet of data about the schools to which I applied when I realized that of all the programs, Purdue is the one I just don't have a full grasp of. Perhaps because of their size and diverse offerings, I'm having a hard time pinning down their identity or its fit with my interests. Any insight on this front? I've heard from Purdue grads that they don't do much with digital work or science rhetoric, and if I had to pin down my  work, I'd describe it as happening at the meeting point of digital rhetoric, science rhetoric, and remembrance rhetoric. Still, I've always thought of it as a very well-respected school, but it looks like many of their grads take jobs in the Midwest, South, or West, and I'm definitely looking on going East, East, East. :) Any thoughts? I really want to give the program a full consideration.

Edited by driftlake

I contacted their DGS, Paul Schneider, and I received a reply back this morning that was very thorough and compassionate. It might help to illuminate what's going on at Purdue right now. I applied as American lit in the Theory and Critical Studies emphasis:

Thanks for the info. At least you know now.

I hope you get in elsewhere!

I'm glad that Professor Schneider gave you that information. It's almost worth posting elsewhere-- it demonstrates more of what people are talking about when they talk about fit and departmental need. It also goes to show how much chance there really is in this process; there are so many things that are out of your control.

So I'm not sure if I'm the best person to assess such things, driftlake, but I'll try. Part of the reason that we have less of a specific character is that we're the oldest PhD program in rhet/comp (depending, a bit-- Carnegie Mellon could also make that claim) and one of the largest. A lot of programs focus in more specific areas because they have a smaller faculty and smaller number of grad students, so they try to define their areas more narrowly. That isn't better or worse; it's just different. That said, I'm surprised that you don't think we have a strong digital focus-- Pat Sullivan came initially from computer science, Sam Blackmon does a lot of games and interface research and minority rhetorics, Nate Johnson does informatics and databases. But yeah-- we have a broad set of interests so people look at many different things. Rick Johnson-Sheehan does both classical rhetoric and science communication, Michael Salvo does digital rhet and professional/technical writing, Pat does feminism, the modern period, and research methodology, Jenny Bay does a lot of theory and feminism, Thomas Rickert is a big theory and philosophy guy, etc. 

We do graduate a ton of WPAs who go on to work in that capacity; it's something of our bread and butter. Sadly, Linda Bergmann passed away this winter, but we're conducting a hire right now to fill her position in the Writing Lab, OWL, and in WPA theory. Many of our graduates go into technical communication and business writing. Actually, empirical might be traditionally an area we haven't done quite as much with, but that's changed a lot, and with Pat having written Opening Spaces, we have a good background there. I'm in quantitative research and computerized textual processing myself, which is rare both here and in the field generally.

As far as the Midwest phenomenon goes, I think that is more of a rhet/comp phenomenon than a Purdue specific thing. This is slowly changing, but the field is still dominantly found in the Midwest, with some exceptions. Part of the reason that we're focused more in the Midwest is because we put a lot of people in separate rhet/comp programs. At many schools, people are joining English departments to be the sole compositionist in the department. Finally, recognize that while there are lots of jobs in the East because of the huge number of colleges in the east, in terms of percentages, there's still far fewer rhet/comp jobs per college in the Northeast than there are in the Midwest. Many of the colleges back east are private schools with much more traditional, literature-focused English departments, and by and large they don't hire compositionists. Hope this makes sense.

As far as the Midwest phenomenon goes, I think that is more of a rhet/comp phenomenon than a Purdue specific thing. This is slowly changing, but the field is still dominantly found in the Midwest, with some exceptions. Part of the reason that we're focused more in the Midwest is because we put a lot of people in separate rhet/comp programs. At many schools, people are joining English departments to be the sole compositionist in the department. Finally, recognize that while there are lots of jobs in the East because of the huge number of colleges in the east, in terms of percentages, there's still far fewer rhet/comp jobs per college in the Northeast than there are in the Midwest. Many of the colleges back east are private schools with much more traditional, literature-focused English departments, and by and large they don't hire compositionists. Hope this makes sense.

To piggy back off of this. Some of the midwest phenomenon may be tied to the Morrill Act as well as GI bill - a lot of land grant colleges started putting out lots of people in tech roles. So was born "Engineering English - English for Engineers"  - perhaps this has causal relation to the critical examination of composition pedagogy. So here we have a bunch of new students who need to learn to write but don't respond well to the classics.

There are certainly pockets of strong rhet focus elsewhere but the midwest is sort of our American Manger.

I'm glad that Professor Schneider gave you that information. It's almost worth posting elsewhere-- it demonstrates more of what people are talking about when they talk about fit and departmental need. It also goes to show how much chance there really is in this process; there are so many things that are out of your control.

So I'm not sure if I'm the best person to assess such things, driftlake, but I'll try. Part of the reason that we have less of a specific character is that we're the oldest PhD program in rhet/comp (depending, a bit-- Carnegie Mellon could also make that claim) and one of the largest. A lot of programs focus in more specific areas because they have a smaller faculty and smaller number of grad students, so they try to define their areas more narrowly. That isn't better or worse; it's just different. That said, I'm surprised that you don't think we have a strong digital focus-- Pat Sullivan came initially from computer science, Sam Blackmon does a lot of games and interface research and minority rhetorics, Nate Johnson does informatics and databases. But yeah-- we have a broad set of interests so people look at many different things. Rick Johnson-Sheehan does both classical rhetoric and science communication, Michael Salvo does digital rhet and professional/technical writing, Pat does feminism, the modern period, and research methodology, Jenny Bay does a lot of theory and feminism, Thomas Rickert is a big theory and philosophy guy, etc. 

We do graduate a ton of WPAs who go on to work in that capacity; it's something of our bread and butter. Sadly, Linda Bergmann passed away this winter, but we're conducting a hire right now to fill her position in the Writing Lab, OWL, and in WPA theory. Many of our graduates go into technical communication and business writing. Actually, empirical might be traditionally an area we haven't done quite as much with, but that's changed a lot, and with Pat having written Opening Spaces, we have a good background there. I'm in quantitative research and computerized textual processing myself, which is rare both here and in the field generally.

Actually, my image of the program was that it did indeed have a strong digital focus, which is part of why I applied. I'd recently heard to the contrary, which is why I was hoping to hear a bit more, and I think you confirmed my initial impression. :) As always, thanks for the very enlightening commentary. Extremely helpful, and I hope my comment didn't seem to disparage Purdue--I reread it and it might have seemed critical when I merely meant to inquire.

BowTiesAreCool, that makes sense as well. There is certainly a link between engineering and writing even at my program, which is pretty small. All of the programs I'm looking at are Midwestern ones at this point, too...

I got my rejection today from the lit program at Purdue. The letter said that due to a lowered numbered of TA positions available, they were only able to offer 10% to 4% acceptance to those who applied across all departments. I wish you all the best of luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone had luck with Purdue yet? I'm STILL waiting. I've also been accepted to Syracuse but have been waitlisted for funding, and meanwhile I've been offered a fellowship at a less prestigious university with a ticking deadline to accept. I'm so, so lost.