Rejected Offers Information for Wait-Listers 2013 Entry

phdhope2013

I figured that there are several of us out there that would like this. I copied this from an old thread. It may be a little early, but I just want to be admitted to avoid another cycle. 

"So I thought that anyone who has rejected an offer might post it here with a little bit of info. I hope this might prove somewhat useful to anyone who is facing down the bleak inhumanity that is the wait-list.

I was thinking we should probably post:
School Name
Sub field
Funded/not funded
Type of funding (fellowship or assistantship or combination)"

Maybe it's too early in the game, but I'd really love to see this thread take off- and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Unfortunately I myself am nowhere close to making the decision so I can't offer any solace to wait listers just yet. I am, however, currently wait listed at Minnesota and UC Irvine, so if anyone is planning on rejecting their offer (especially Minnesota, apparently I am quite high on the list), let a brother know :)

Hey Peassss,

I'm also wait listed at Irvine. They invited me to their campus visit weekend for the incoming cohort. I'm trying to read the tea leaves and figure out if this means anything, or if they invited all the wait listers. Any idea?

Hey Peassss,

I'm also wait listed at Irvine. They invited me to their campus visit weekend for the incoming cohort. I'm trying to read the tea leaves and figure out if this means anything, or if they invited all the wait listers. Any idea?

They also invited me; when I first read it I assumed they invited all wait listed students, but now that you mention it, I have no idea. Maybe we are higher up on the list? Either way, I can't attend unfortunately since it's the same weekend as another admitted students visit, not to mention I live on the other coast. Are you planning on going?

Yes, Peassss, I am going to the Irvine weekend. I am a displaced former Californian. $300 plane ticket, $75 car rental. I'll report pack when (if?) I find anything. :-/

Definitely let me know how it goes!

I plan on turning down a funded offer to Penn as soon as I can reach my POI there (I'd like to speak with her before turning down the offer). Hopefully this means that some people who were accepted without funding can get funding. I'll report back!

Hey certaincertainties, I'm currently waitlisted for funding at Penn. I understand their waitlist is dictated by subfield, do you mind sharing yours? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to broadcast it. Thanks!

Edited by Tacocat

Hey certaincertainties, I'm currently waitlisted for funding at Penn. I understand their waitlist is dictated by subfield, do you mind sharing yours? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to broadcast it. Thanks!

No worries, I'm theory. It may take a while though--I still haven't heard back from my POI.

Best of luck!

No worries, I'm theory. It may take a while though--I still haven't heard back from my POI.

Best of luck!

Thank you very much! I'm theory as well, so this is very good to hear. I am expecting to be in limbo through most of March anyway, just by nature of waitlists. However, it is nice to have some clearer idea of my prospects. :)

Best of luck to you too and congrats on your acceptances!

Thank you very much! I'm theory as well, so this is very good to hear. I am expecting to be in limbo through most of March anyway, just by nature of waitlists. However, it is nice to have some clearer idea of my prospects. :)

Best of luck to you too and congrats on your acceptances!

No worries! It's actually quite a good funding package--better than either Chicago or Michigan--though I'm not sure how the cost of living compares to Chicago or whether the funding amount varies by candidate (I doubt it, I think everyone gets the Benjamin Franklin Fellowship). It's a really great program, it just can't offer as much in my field of interest as Chicago or Michigan can.

Best of luck! Hopefully you'll get some clarity soon! I definitely know how that goes!

Hey, I just got into GWU with funding.  I'm leaning a couple of other places, but I want to get on campus before making a final decision.  I'll be trying to visit the week before their official open house and if I decide not to go, I'll let them know quickly.  Just wanted to let anyone waiting for funding or acceptance news know.

Hey, I just got into GWU with funding.  I'm leaning a couple of other places, but I want to get on campus before making a final decision.  I'll be trying to visit the week before their official open house and if I decide not to go, I'll let them know quickly.  Just wanted to let anyone waiting for funding or acceptance news know.

Thank you!

For anyone else who got funding from GWU but decides to not go there:  PLEASE TELL THEM ASAP!  They can't let the alternates in until they their initial funding offers get declined.

Waiting is torture.  I want some stability!

I will most likely decline BU offer, if GWU ends up offering me full funding (or, if miraculously, I get into Northwestern or U Chicago)...

Those of you with GWU full funding offer who are likely to decline, PLEASE (for the sake of all of us waiting) inform us as promptly as possible...:)