University of Michigan

fishsauce

Hey there!

I am not the most active of users here, but I thought I'd get a thread going for those of us heading to Ann Arbor this fall. I have made up my mind to accept the offer from Michigan (a fast but easy decision), and will be working on a PhD in History.

Anyone else?

• 3 weeks later...

I have narrowed my decision down to two schools- Michigan and Vanderbilt. My decision mostly depends on my fiance's law school acceptances. If I go Michigan I will be sure to return to this thread!

already in Michigan, accepted a PhD position in Biology (EEB). if you need any advice about the school/city/housing let me know!

Good to have someone experienced in this topic!

What are the housing options for apartments near the North Campus? I've heard of Northwood, Huron, Willowtree, Broadview and Courtyards. Are there any other complexes?

What are the housing options for apartments near the North Campus? I've heard of Northwood, Huron, Willowtree, Broadview and Courtyards. Are there any other complexes?

I'm not that familiar with North Campus-- I live closer to Central Campus in a rental house, but I know some people that live in Northwood. They seem to like it, though there are of course pros and cons to living in university housing. Most of the pros are that its really hassle-free and you don't have to deal with landlords.. but I think you can find nicer properties at comparable or lower prices through individual landlords. Depends on your preferences. If you're interested in looking around at other properties, a lot of landlords post on Craigslist. That's how I've found the two places I've lived in so far.

The other nice thing is that a lot of landlords will do "rent controlled" pricing if you renew your lease (i.e., even though other housing prices increase, they'll keep the rent constant for you) as opposed to complexes that do and likely will raise the price each year. I lived in a complex before living here (one owned by McKinley, a big corporate group that own many of the nice-ish complexes around Ann Arbor) and they were going to raise my rent by $100 if I renewed. 

Sorry I can't give more specific help, and best of luck with your search! I'd get on that early, as many leases are signed around March and April. 

It's just that for international students it's not very easy to come to Ann Arbor and look for a place in late August, so I think that apartment housing is the only option (at least for the first year). What I can't figure out it whether the leasing can start in September and if there is the possibility for temporary housing (last week of August) or one has to stay in a hotel.

It's just that for international students it's not very easy to come to Ann Arbor and look for a place in late August, so I think that apartment housing is the only option (at least for the first year). What I can't figure out it whether the leasing can start in September and if there is the possibility for temporary housing (last week of August) or one has to stay in a hotel.

I think that a September lease could be possible, you just have to look. My current lease starts August 15th.

Check airbnb.com for temporary housing -- its cheaper and I prefer it over hotels whenever I travel around the US. Or maybe your PI can help arrange for you to stay with current students in your lab or program, though a week might be pushing it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I guess it is confirmed. I shall be joining University of Michigan too. :)

And I am also particularly worried about housing around there. University housing is expensive but I don't see how, as an international student, I can find other housing before hand.

For what it is worth, I looked at a number of North Campus apartment complexes this weekend. Were it me, living alone, I would look at Traver's Crossing. The price was right and I liked the location. Parc Point Apartments were okay, they had availability, but were a touch more expensive. Shoreview already had a huge waitlist. I ended up picking a place on west side... (wife preferred the area).

Best of luck to you!

The complexes I looked at were 600-1000 for 1 bedrooms, 800-1250 for 2 bedrooms.

I would, if I could, definitely consider the university housing (I have a dog and a cat... they aren't permitted). The grad housing complex is located 2 miles from downtown on the North Campus, which is not isolated by my standards. Two miles by bus doesn't take more than 20 min and is less than 15 min by bike. Granted, I currently live in Chicago, a city which considers two miles to be a healthy walk. The gym and other facilities on North Campus are often less crowded and there are fewer undergraduates in the area.

My two cents... which are probably worth far less than that.

Can I roughly know what the price range of apartment complexes are like?

I heard that the university housing, while good, is located away from the downtown, so it does isolate you. Is that accurate?

You can find places as low as $500, but it all depends on how close to campus you want to be. If you are an international student and do not have any pets then I would suggest to live in university housing for the first year. The bus system at UM is great, so you do not have to worry about being isolated. North Campus is more quiet than Central Campus (mostly because most undergraduates live in Central), so you don't have to worry about losing any sleep to loud crowds/parties.

Applications for university housing begin tomorrow. Does anyone know approximately when answers are given out? For single graduate students they say:
"If we have an apartment to offer you, you will be notified by email, fax or telephone. Our goal is to notify you a minimum of 30 days prior to your requested occupancy date. If you have not received an offer within 30 days of your requested occupancy date, please contact Northwood Community Apartments Advisor."

[source: http://www.housing.umich.edu/applications/single-graduate]

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! I'll be doing a dual MPP-MUP at Michigan the next three years, and did my undergrad there as well. Ann Arbor is an incredible city with a lot to offer. And, although I understand graduate students are looking for very different things out of their time in A2 than your average undergrad, I would seriously consider living closer to Central Campus. On North Campus you'll be away from everything that makes Ann Arbor your quintessential college town.

A lot of grad students (especially international students and those with families) live in Northwood (it's very convenient of course), but I would consider Kerrytown as my first option typically. It's a little north and west of Central Campus, an historic district with a lot of "flavor" to it, with a higher concentration of graduate students/professionals. It also happens to be close to all of the bars and restaurants you'll want to hang out at as a grad student. South of campus (where I lived as an undergrad) is where all your partying is going to happen, so if that's not your scene you might want to avoid. If you care most about cutting cost and little about the campus environment, then consider living outside of Ann Arbor altogether. A2 is not a cheap city for housing (anywhere you go), and many grad students opt to live outside of the city altogether after their first year.

Let me know if I can be of assistance at all. I live and work in Detroit currently but make frequent visits to A2!

• 1 month later...

Hey.

Thought I should revive this post.

So my visa has been approved, and I have taken University Housing at Northwood V at the moment. My housing lease contract begins on the 16th of August but I land in America a little earlier. Of course my minor worries are about how I shall be able to furnish this apartment right after I reach there. Any advice or tips on that?

So how's the apartment hunt and other formalities going on the for the rest of you? I look forward to seeing all of you around in Fall.

Take a look at this: http://www.housing.umich.edu/policies-procedures/early-arrivals, it might be of interest to you.

For used-furniture shops look here http://northwoodfocus.housing.umich.edu/content/used-furniture-stores. There is also an IKEA in Canton, which is not very far.

In Northwood Community Center, I've been told you can find inflatable beds. Also, in April and August there are a lot of yard sales so maybe you can find some stuff there.

I'll be staying in Northwood IV myself.

• 1 month later...

Hopefully, UMich people are still following this thread. I have some questions for folks at Ann Arbor -

1) Is the Airride the most convenient way between DTW and Ann Arbor? And for North Campus, what is the closest busstop - Blake Transit Center or Central Campus Transit Center? And once I get to these stops, is it convenient to find cabs to Northwood V?

2) How do most of you (especially international students) go about getting mobile phones and connections? Do we have to wait till we get our MCard, etc. for student discounts?

3) As someone who knows no one at Ann Arbor, If I plan to move into an unfurnished apartment, how easy is it to get help in moving furniture around?

4) And... I guess this is it. Well, all help with be appreciated.

Thanks