Waitlisted. Is it possible to find the other person?

sandymad

I have been told that I am waitlisted for Tepper's PhD in Information Systems. But they asked me a lot of times during my interview if I was likely to come if given an offer. I am pretty sure they asked this to the other person as well, so I am assuming that my waitlisting is as good as a reject. Is it possible to find out the other person in this forum and figure out if he/she is planning to accept the offer?

for the love of iced cinnamon swirl rolls and all that is holy, don't.

put yourself in the other person's shoes. how horrendously awkward and stressful would it be if a complete stranger contacted you, essentially pressuring you to make your decision faster? it's not an easy process for anyone. don't add extra stress to someone else's decision-making simply for your own benefit. patience and kindness will pay off more.

Edit: Pears is right. However, if you still really want to do it, don't be the one to make first contact - put it out there on the forum that you're interested in talking to them, and if they contact you, then that's one thing. But don't hunt them down. Some people won't mind talking, others definitely would. 

Edited by RubyBright

for the love of iced cinnamon swirl rolls and all that is holy, don't.

put yourself in the other person's shoes. how horrendously awkward and stressful would it be if a complete stranger contacted you, essentially pressuring you to make your decision faster? it's not an easy process for anyone. don't add extra stress to someone else's decision-making simply for your own benefit. patience and kindness will pay off more.

This, and if this information gets back to the department (or anyone else, really) it can only look bad. 

You could put something on the forum and see if the other person gets in touch with you. I would say don't bother though, not because I think the other person would feel super uncomfortable with talking to you (it's awkward, but not that awkward), but because I don't think he/she has a concrete answer to give you. Odds are, that person is still waiting to get all the final decisions from other schools and won't be able to make a decision or tell you anything helpful yet.

Ah, thanks guys. I didn't mean to spook anyone out. I was just thinking out loud, nor did I know it is a bad thing to do.

If it's any consolation, I know how you feel. I wish I could fast forward to when those accepted to my top choice have made their decision and hopefully enough people decline so I can get an offer.

And I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about posting on here to find those that had been accepted and make my plea to them! Haha :)