Writing skills for studio majors

taypwyrm

I was wondering if anyone knows or has any perspective on how crucial writing skills are considered when applying as a studio major? I have an interview at the RCA and they have asked me to bring in writing samples. I am confident in my studio work and my ideas but my technical application within writing is probably average. I have always put emphasis on my studio work and had little time to write independant from my studies. My papers are decent but I feel pretty self conscious presenting them. Any information regarding this would be appreciated!

I was wondering if anyone knows or has any perspective on how crucial writing skills are considered when applying as a studio major? I have an interview at the RCA and they have asked me to bring in writing samples. I am confident in my studio work and my ideas but my technical application within writing is probably average. I have always put emphasis on my studio work and had little time to write independant from my studies. My papers are decent but I feel pretty self conscious presenting them. Any information regarding this would be appreciated!

Wow, yeah that's different.  

I know that some schools put a huge emphasis on Art History and Theory.  Hunter CUNY actually wanted a list of all the art history classes taken and those currently enrolled in.  

Do you have anything from any theory or history classes?  If not, I have a suggestion for you.  Why don't you go to an exhibition close to you that interests you (or maybe that you detest?) and write a review of it.  Just a few pages, maybe 800-1000 words. Take photos as well (if you are allowed to).  If you did this on your own and not for a class, it would seem all the more impressive (in my opinion).  

At the same time, I wonder if this school is really a good fit for you if you don't like writing about art?  They may put a lot of emphasis on this since they are requesting a writing sample.  I used to hate writing about art, but after being forced to do it a lot, I started to enjoy it.  Maybe that could happen to you as well?  Also, writing about other artists can help you understand your own art.  Just a thought. 

I'm pretty sure you need to write a dissertation as a part of your degree at the RCA. They probably just want you to bring in a writing sample to show that you will be capable of fulfilling this requirement. 

I brought in a couple of short responses on philosophical texts that I had just written and stated that they were a brief exploration of an idea I would like to write about further. I also presented a 1500 word praxis paper that I had done in school. He read them during the interview and said that my ideas were very strong. Nothing was mentioned about my writing skills. What a relief! I got an email an hour after my interview offering me a spot in the program!