Acceptance etiquette?

quilledink

Hi al! This is my first round of admissions to graduate school ever, and I have no idea what proper etiquette demands. My top choice got back to me on Thursday with my acceptance and funding, and I'd like to let them know this week that I've accepted. Is that too soon? Do people usually wait to let schools know?

I should probably mention that I am still waiting on two schools to get back to me, but neither program was even close to competing with this one as far as my options go, so if I am accepted I will still decline.

(Also, if this is not the appropriate place to post this, I'm sorry!)

When you accept withdraw your other applications to possibly help out other people.

That's the plan! I don't want anyone else to have go through the waiting anxiety for any longer than they have to. It sucks.

Can we talk about rejecting an acceptance offer?  I suppose the proper etiquette would just be to email your POI/grad chair that you appreciate the offer and after careful consideration you have decided to accept an offer elsewhere?  Would you state the reason why and where you plan to go??

Can we talk about rejecting an acceptance offer?  I suppose the proper etiquette would just be to email your POI/grad chair that you appreciate the offer and after careful consideration you have decided to accept an offer elsewhere?  Would you state the reason why and where you plan to go??

I would be as cordial as possible. Remember, these are people in your field that are still going to be colleagues. They could also be in a position to give you a post-doc or job. I would email them, thank them profusely, but politely explain why you can't take the offer and that you appreciate maintaining contact with them in the future. I know Rutgers wants a formal rejection sent to the UGS and on the form they ask why, so I would include it in emails. It's probably helpful to them to some degree.