Slightly Depresed

lostandconfused

I guess noone cares or wants to hear the sob stories but so far I have 1 unfunded acceptance (PhD) that is worthless right now since I can't take out 200k or so in loans to pay for, one rejection and one suggestion to apply to the MS program (unfunded). I am not sure what to do! I think I will reapply again but I dont want to unless I find out what my weaknesses were! If I post my stats would anyone be willing to a) commiserate and B) give some input on mayb what went wrong and what to do in the meantime?!

Thnx!

Don't know how much I could help with constructive criticism, but you totally have my support :) Do you have any schools left to hear back from? Could you contact the schools that rejected you and ask what you could do to make yourself a better applicant next year?

What's your field? It might be worth poking around and seeing if you could get an RA position or something. Or a TA position.

I pretty much have been counting my unfunded acceptances as nicer versions of rejection letters...

I pretty much have been counting my unfunded acceptances as nicer versions of rejection letters...

If they were rejecting you, you'd have been rejected. Funding is a huge issue in many departments and many turn away qualified students as a result; others offer unfunded admission. It means you made the cut but got screwed on the logistical end.

It was suggested to me that if I got an unfunded acceptance that I swallow the debt for the first year while applying for every grant imaginable and badgering the department about a TA or RAship. Apparently some students can get funded internally after the 1st year, and then there's stuff like NSF grants as well.

I think the fact that you were accepted still speaks volumes - they wanted you, they just couldn't fund you.

Is there any word on whether if a funded accept drops that you might be offered this funding?

I'm obviously not on a grad comm and have no real knowledge of your field...but will offer any insight where I can!