Canadian SLP applications thread!

Inny

So, I basically have come to terms that I won't be going to school this year :(. The deadline to accept was over two weeks ago and there are only three programs for Audiology in Canada...evidently people are hanging on to their spots.  

I guess I will spend the year saving money and working on my resume. Hopefully the fact that I was wait-listed this year will count for something next year. Good luck everyone who was accepted and those who are still waiting! I have a lot more hope that the wait list will move for SLP :)

I accepted my offer at Uoft. I got wait listed at western. Those are the only schools I applied to. Now I'm thinking about housing for UofT in the fall. Anyone interested in being roommates?

Hey! I also accepted my offer to UofT and am now looking for housing.. what have you found?! We should start an fb group to start meeting everyone...

Hi everyone!

I was also accepted off of the wait list for U of T yesterday! I'm SO excited, and I'm looking forward to meeting all of you who are heading there in September! 

Edited by MK-SLP

Hi everyone, I've decided to go to U of T. Exciting times ahead.

Hey! I also accepted my offer to UofT and am now looking for housing.. what have you found?! We should start an fb group to start meeting everyone...

There's a group for U of T SLP students in the class of 2015: https://www.facebook.com/groups/154068024769217/

Hi everyone, 

All four universities that I applied to rejected me. I would like some advice on where I should go from here. My cumulative gpa is 3.3, should I take more courses to improve my gpa ? Get more volunteering experience or think about applying to schools in US? 

Any advice would be much appreciated because I am so confused about what I should be doing

I would definitely try and raise your GPA.  Most of my classmates were all above a 3.5-3.6, minimum, so it seems. Most were higher still.  But, again.. it really depends on what the particular university is looking for.  Volunteer experience is also worth a shot (and very invaluable, as is)!  Keep your chin up & best of luck :)

• 3 weeks later...

So everyone starting in September... What are you doing to prepare for the fall?! 

I can't believe how excited I'm getting! 

I'm going to be leisurely doing some anatomy review over the summer, but that's all I have planned!

Also taking a lot of time to relax, we will all need it!

Got in to the U of A off of the waitlist. It was a very long stressful process, but worth it! :)

Congrats aliciarose! I was unfortunately rejected by the U of A this year; will re-apply next year though. Do you mind sharing your stats?

I'm going to be leisurely doing some anatomy review over the summer, but that's all I have planned!

Also taking a lot of time to relax, we will all need it!

I am also reviewing some anatomy! 

(and trying to relax... but I work full time...) 

Congrats to everyone that got in.

I'm a psych major that applied to and got rejected from 7 Canadian schools for Masters psych programs 2 years ago. Since then I've been working and thinking about changing focuses in Speech-Pathology. I'm taking a Language Acquisition course right now as a non-degree student and the atypical development aspects of the course intrigue me. This is a new area for me, but I'd like to hear my chances. Some weakpoints of my application is my GPA and my lack of SLP volunteering (though I can accumulate some by the next application season):

cGPA: 3.0

Last 2 years: 3.3

GRE: 158/158 4.5

Research: 2 years between 2 different social psych labs, 1 publication

Volunteering: 100+ hours at a major hospital

Working experience: 2+ years full-time teaching English to L2 middle school children and adults

TESOL teaching certification

I mostly come from a research psych and language education background. I think its pretty obvious my GPA is my weakest point, but I'm curious if other parts of my application can contribute to make me a competitive applicant. I am in the process of taking more courses to boost my GPA and cover some pre-reqs as well. How do I compare to other applicants? Any opinions? Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys! I'm from Ottawa!

I applied to five schools; four of which were American. I was accepted to NYU but unfortunately had to decline the offer based on the fact that no Canadian banks would give me a sufficient loan for the program (traumatic experience), however I was wait-listed at Dal.

I was wondering if anyone has been accepted or rejected off the wait list yet? I am really hating this waiting game.

• 1 month later...

Hello from Nova Scotia!

I am applying to SLP for the second time for next September. I have been looking for a forum for 2014, but I haven't found on yet. I have spent too many hours lurking on this one and others from the past years haha. It has been so nice to get information and advice and I'd love to connect with some SLP hopefuls for 2014!  I am applying to Dalhousie.

Hello from Nova Scotia!

I am applying to SLP for the second time for next September. I have been looking for a forum for 2014, but I haven't found on yet. I have spent too many hours lurking on this one and others from the past years haha. It has been so nice to get information and advice and I'd love to connect with some SLP hopefuls for 2014!  I am applying to Dalhousie.

Hi 2014 Appy! I will also be applying for the 2nd time for Fall 2014. I only applied to the U of A this year, but I'm definitely planning to apply to more schools next year, including Dalhousie. Are you only applying to Dalhousie?

Hi Sweaterweather,

Yes, I am only applying to Dalhousie - hoping for the best! I just scheduled a day to re-take the GRE. Yuck! Taking a few more course to boast my GPA too. What other schools are you applyng to? Good luck!

By the way, I started a new forum for Canadain students here: This one is so long and does not seem to be as active anymore, so we can have our own for 2014!

Edited by 2014 Appy

• 4 months later...

I live in Southern California and I want to apply to McGill. I was looking at the prerequisites and they are so different from the schools in the U.S. I have been trying to find a year-long statistics class or two stats classes that build on each other (i.e. stats I, stats II) to fulfill the prereqs for McGill but have been unable to find them.  Does anyone who lives in my area know of where I can take these classes? Or does anyone know of any online classes I can anywhere else through distance education?

I live in Southern California and I want to apply to McGill. I was looking at the prerequisites and they are so different from the schools in the U.S. I have been trying to find a year-long statistics class or two stats classes that build on each other (i.e. stats I, stats II) to fulfill the prereqs for McGill but have been unable to find them.  Does anyone who lives in my area know of where I can take these classes? Or does anyone know of any online classes I can anywhere else through distance education?

Have you heard of Athabasca Univeristy? It is an online/distance university in Alberta (Canada). They have a ton of classes. I am taking a Physiology course right now. I don`t know if they offer all of the pre-reqs for McGill, but it`s woth looking into. Check out the forum mentioned above for Canadian SLP programs. A lot of the people who post are also applying to McGill and may be able to help you out.

• 5 months later...

Hi, 

Did anyone get offers to different places without having A's in all pre-requisites? Do they weigh them separately or average them out? I am debating on re-doing one half course I received a B+ in a long time ago, or wondering if it's not necessary. Otherwise, my SubGPA is about 3.8, and 3.65 overall. I also have quite a bit of experience in different areas and in SLP.

Any advice will be appreciated! :)

Thanks!