Canadian SLP applications thread!

Inny

For those who are curious... there are 30 people on the wait list at U of T (50 spots), and as was said before, 70 people on the wait list at Western (36 spots last year... not sure on # this year?).

They won't tell you where you are on the wait list at U of T, however, Western will tell you which third of the list you are on.

Thanks for that info Speechapp! Just curious, how did you find out the number of spots on U of T's wait list? I emailed them today to confirm that I do wish to stay on the wait list (and asked them how many people there were on it), but I haven't heard from them yet. 

I hope they do email, just so I have confirmation that they know I want to stay on the list. SO paranoid about these things. 

Also, I asked this before but thought I would just ask again since there has been so much conversation going on- does anyone know roughly how many people are usually accepted off a wait list? Or what has happened in previous years?

A friend of mine who is attending Western's SLP program said that she heard U of T accepted a very large portion of their wait list last year, but this could be just a rumour. 

Thanks for that info Speechapp! Just curious, how did you find out the number of spots on U of T's wait list? I emailed them today to confirm that I do wish to stay on the wait list (and asked them how many people there were on it), but I haven't heard from them yet. 

I hope they do email, just so I have confirmation that they know I want to stay on the list. SO paranoid about these things. 

Also, I asked this before but thought I would just ask again since there has been so much conversation going on- does anyone know roughly how many people are usually accepted off a wait list? Or what has happened in previous years?

A friend of mine who is attending Western's SLP program said that she heard U of T accepted a very large portion of their wait list last year, but this could be just a rumour. 

Hmm... the letter they sent me sounded a lot more optimistic than the Western letter... but this doesn't really say anything about chances I suppose. I'm thinking it was the same letter for everyone? I received an email... I asked how many were wait listed and she told me when she emailed me back this morning.

I don't think there is any way of knowing how many people will be accepted off the wait list. It depends on a lot of factors. Some universities offer more acceptances than spots they intend to have in the program as they anticipate people to decline offers. I'm not sure if this is the case for U of T. It also depends on how many people actually decline the offers, which I am sure varies from year to year. Lets keep our fingers crossed!! Western seems like a HUGE long shot. Do to the overlap in the application system with Western and U of T, I would think there will be a lot of shuffling and hopefully that will result in lots of people getting accepted off the wait lists!

Hi everyone! I'm new here, thought after a few days of lurking I'd pop by and say hi :) *waves*

I applied to McGill, Dalhousie and Western and have been accepted by McGill and Western (no word at all from Dalhousie yet). Definitely leaning towards McGill for a number of reasons, and am really appreciating the info on this thread about the pros/cons of their program. I have to make the decision soon, so either way there should be a spot opening up to somebody on one of the waitlists!

Congrats so far to everyone who's been accepted, and the best of luck to those waitlisted!

Hi everyone! I'm another fellow lurker ( and I'm sure there are still many more out there! :)  )

First off I want to say congrats to all of you who have been accepted, and I will keep my fingers crossed for those of you yet awaiting the final decisions!!

I'm applying to school next year for Fall 2014, but I have been following the past two year's worth of Canada SLP program threads and living vicariously until my time comes, heheh.

As I'm sure many of you can relate from being in this position, I'm dying to know what the current stats are looking like! It really helps to have an idea so that the next year is not as agonizingly ambiguous in terms of how "well" I am doing and what my chances are

If anybody is willing to post their stats at all I would be forever grateful to you for helping to ease my anxiety for the next year!  ^_^ 

When over there for the interview, we asked and of the 50 who got interviews, 25 get accepted, 15 get put on the waitlist and 10 are rejected. A friend of mine emailed the admin officer to find out about ranking and this is what was replied:

Votre rang dans la liste doit demeurer confidentiel. Nous ne pouvons vous fournir d'avantage d'information pour le moment sur vos chances de vous mériter une place pour septembre 2013. Désolé

Argh!

Another friend of mine who got accepted to the program told me that the deadline to accept or reject an acceptance is April 22nd, and that if they do accept an acceptance, an initial deposit must be made by May 15 or else they cancel your acceptance. So basically I'm thinking waitlisted people should start hearing after April 22nd.

Fingers crossed and good luck!

Thanks!!! Congrats on getting waitlisted too! I didn't realize that there were 20 ppl that applied for audiology (since there were 70 people interviewed). They're so "confidential" about everything, I hate it!! Is your friend going to Ottawa or somewhere else? We gotta start bullying people to go elsewhere haha :) Ugh April 22nd can't come soon enough!!!! 

Update: I just called U of A in regards to my application because I need to make a decision about Dalhousie by Monday. They said they would have decsions out for successful applicants next week...

Thanks!!! Congrats on getting waitlisted too! I didn't realize that there were 20 ppl that applied for audiology (since there were 70 people interviewed). They're so "confidential" about everything, I hate it!! Is your friend going to Ottawa or somewhere else? We gotta start bullying people to go elsewhere haha :) Ugh April 22nd can't come soon enough!!!! 

Haha room for waitlisters please! Yeah, she will be going to Ottawa. She had a friend that also got accepted to another French program and will be going there. That leaves one spot at least!

And yes, 20 for audio, though I also know that they had asked some speechies if they would be interested in being considered for audio as well. It might have just been to have back-up just in case they didn't fill all the spots they wanted to for audio.

I have to say though that I am quite interested in going to Ottawa especially that it is in French -- we get a change to develop a strong working language, especially if your dominant language is English, and also because the program's breakdown is changing: they're going the "block" route, so for example focussing on children/acquistition throughout one semester, that sort of thing.

D'ailleurs, s'il y a des candidats qui ont fait des demandes d'admission aux autres programmes francophones, est-ce que vous pouvez partager vos expériences? Merci! :)

Update: I just called U of A in regards to my application because I need to make a decision about Dalhousie by Monday. They said they would have decsions out for successful applicants next week...

Oh no :( I wish you luck in deciding! I really think that something went on at U of A for them to be needing to take more time this year.

Thanks for the update! :)

Oh no :( I wish you luck in deciding! I really think that something went on at U of A for them to be needing to take more time this year.

Thanks for the update! :)

I think it may have to do with the budget cuts, U of A got hit pretty hard!

Hi everyone! I'm another fellow lurker ( and I'm sure there are still many more out there! :)  )

First off I want to say congrats to all of you who have been accepted, and I will keep my fingers crossed for those of you yet awaiting the final decisions!!

I'm applying to school next year for Fall 2014, but I have been following the past two year's worth of Canada SLP program threads and living vicariously until my time comes, heheh.

As I'm sure many of you can relate from being in this position, I'm dying to know what the current stats are looking like! It really helps to have an idea so that the next year is not as agonizingly ambiguous in terms of how "well" I am doing and what my chances are

If anybody is willing to post their stats at all I would be forever grateful to you for helping to ease my anxiety for the next year!  ^_^ 

Hey SLPlife, have you checked the Results Search (http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php)? There are many applicants who've posted their stats in the results search.

Thanks! I have definitely checked the results obsessively.. heh, though often people don't post much about their stats in terms of gpa or volunteering specs etc.

I just thought it might be worth a shot to inquire if anybody was willing to share info that they had not yet posted :)

Best of luck once again to those still waiting. I'm especially curious about UofA since I'm hoping to eventually go there. Next week is coming up fast!

Hi guys! 

I was accepted to UofA today - is anyone else going there? Let me know - it's my top choice and I would love to touch base with others heading to Edmonton! :)

Wow congratulations Speechie2013!  Don't know if you've been following this forum, but we've all been anxiously waiting for some news from UofA haha

How did they contact you- email or phone? And also, would you be willing to share your stats? Thanks and congrats again!

Wow congratulations Speechie2013!  Don't know if you've been following this forum, but we've all been anxiously waiting for some news from UofA haha

How did they contact you- email or phone? And also, would you be willing to share your stats? Thanks and congrats again!

They called me this afternoon! My stats are 3.83 GPA from my last 20, with a 4.0 GPA in prerequisites. I did a BA Honours in Psychology and a Certificate in Speech and Language Sciences. I have 100 hours of volunteering with adults and children at two different clinics, I volunteered on a 5 different research projects, completed a thesis, one conference presentation, and a ran a few societies. I hope this helps! Let me know if you want to know anything else! :) 

They called me this afternoon! My stats are 3.83 GPA from my last 20, with a 4.0 GPA in prerequisites. I did a BA Honours in Psychology and a Certificate in Speech and Language Sciences. I have 100 hours of volunteering with adults and children at two different clinics, I volunteered on a 5 different research projects, completed a thesis, one conference presentation, and a ran a few societies. I hope this helps! Let me know if you want to know anything else! :)

These sound like my stats, minus the linguistics/psych research or participation in student societies...I'm surprised you were waitlisted at UofT and Western...

These sound like my stats, minus the linguistics/psych research or participation in student societies...I'm surprised you were waitlisted at UofT and Western...

egad00 I know, I was disappointed with the response from UofT and Western, but Alberta was always my first choice!

Thanks for the info :) Great stats! Congrats again on getting into your first choice :)

Wow, those are some amazing stats; thanks for sharing! Congrats on being accepted!!

I think it may have to do with the budget cuts, U of A got hit pretty hard!
Ouch, yeah you're probably right! Well at least now we know that they've started calling people! Good luck!

Congrats future SLP! And you've done lots of amazing things! Wow!!

Just wanted to update and let everyone know that in the end I decided on McGill, so a spot should be opening up for somebody at Western! Also, who else is going to McGill? I'd love to connect with you guys ahead of time! :)

Hi guys! 

I was accepted to UofA today - is anyone else going there? Let me know - it's my top choice and I would love to touch base with others heading to Edmonton! :)

Congratulations!!! Great news - for you, personally, of course, but also for the rest of us waiting to hear from UofA.