Resume question

Pinkman

When I sent across my resumes for my applications, I noted down a position that I was due to start. Unfortunately, that fell through because of some issue at their end. I hadnt thought twice about it because I moved on and was happy in my old job. However, I just realized I noted it down on my resume for the applications. As its too late to send a new one in (asked already), how do you think this will affect me? Obviously I didnt work there but I noted it as something I was due to start as opposed to working there currently.

Let it go or be worried?

Well yes technically but the company assured me of the job and I was simply waiting for paperwork. Add the fact that I gave my resignation at my prior job (which they were gracious enough to let me withdraw). I listed it on my resume because that was th next move I was going to make. In hindsight, it was presumptuous of me but at the same time, rational because of how everything was panning out.

You should probably explain the entire situation and not just ask if you can send an updated resume, because of course they won't allow you to send additional materials. If you listed a job as starting at some point in the future, I doubt they would take account of this in their admissions decision anyway. However, given that your resume is on record as listing a job you never had, you should correct the problem. Otherwise you'll have an obvious falsehood on a resume Harvard has on record, and it'll be a lie of omission if you don't correct it. They will not only assume you started the job, but that you have been in that job for the entire time up until you matriculate. That is not a good thing.

If this new job factored into their decision in anyway, which I doubt it would have, then you obviously shouldn't benefit from having listed something that didn't happen. Solution: tell them, otherwise it seems like you lied on your resume. In the more likely scenario a future job didn't factor into their decision (because, after all, you haven't started working there), I don't think telling them will hurt your prospects for admission. So, either way, you should probably let them know.

Really, you probably should not have listed a job you hadn't even signed a contract for. ;) But jobs do fall through sometimes, and as of right now, Harvard thinks you're working at that job and you haven't corrected that perception yet. You should probably do that before and not after they are done deliberating on admissions.

Edited by soapwater

I'll be honest with you, not a lot of people would have tried to deal with that situation in an ethical way. 

They probably won't take an updated resume so you should jsut email them the update. If it was an inconsequential job that was not the next big step in your life then you should be fine. I really hope that is the case. Good luck!

p.s. I was in the same situation..listed a job for my Fletcher and HKS admission that was to start shortly after. But it was a very critical job that was defining for my career so I decided to put in in--I've been at the job since. But if it had fallen through I would be slightly worried about my application. 

Thanks. I've emailed them again but havent had a response. Worse case scenario would be that I inform them and they deny admission, which I find highly unlikely. I do agree that they will think I will be in this position until matriculation which is why I wanted to clear up the misconception. Thanks for the feedback guys and best of luck for the upcoming weeks!

You should probably explain the entire situation and not just ask if you can send an updated resume, because of course they won't allow you to send additional materials. If you listed a job as starting at some point in the future, I doubt they would take account of this in their admissions decision anyway. However, given that your resume is on record as listing a job you never had, you should correct the problem. Otherwise you'll have an obvious falsehood on a resume Harvard has on record, and it'll be a lie of omission if you don't correct it. They will not only assume you started the job, but that you have been in that job for the entire time up until you matriculate. That is not a good thing.

If this new job factored into their decision in anyway, which I doubt it would have, then you obviously shouldn't benefit from having listed something that didn't happen. Solution: tell them, otherwise it seems like you lied on your resume. In the more likely scenario a future job didn't factor into their decision (because, after all, you haven't started working there), I don't think telling them will hurt your prospects for admission. So, either way, you should probably let them know.

Really, you probably should not have listed a job you hadn't even signed a contract for. ;) But jobs do fall through sometimes, and as of right now, Harvard thinks you're working at that job and you haven't corrected that perception yet. You should probably do that before and not after they are done deliberating on admissions.

Thanks but I never applied to Harvard. Didnt realize I mentioned Harvard!

Thanks but I never applied to Harvard. Didnt realize I mentioned Harvard!

Hahaha, sorry. I guess I've been going crazy waiting for results and HKS is always on my mind. But what I said can be applied to any school, I guess.

Edited by soapwater

Bro. 

I think you're worrying about this too much.  Don't get me wrong I'm always with doing the right and ethical thing. However in this position there's really no point since no one is being harmed. If you mention it in your post-grad resume then it's a completely different issue.

I really doubt HKS is keeping a tally of where everyone is currently working, and then they're calling to making sure you work there. The admissions have way better things to worry about than a bullet in your resume. I get Pinkman's positive motives, but the hassle is not worth it in this situation. 

Does anyone know if policy schools do background checks of admitted candidates?

I read in another forum that MIT Sloan conducts them and some other business schools.

Reason why I'm asking is because I am a Mason applicant, and if admitted, my program would start in July.

Now that leaves me about 3 months to matricualte. And these checks usually last 4-6 weeks?

Plus, if they want to verify ALL info on my CV, some of that stuff goes back 15-20 years.

A recent employer did a background check on me but only went back as far as 5 years on my professional experience.

Educational is easy since you simply need to provide a notarized diploma copy.

I very much doubt the school is going to think much of a job that you are working from now until you start school anyways. I feel like it would be a very rare case where a job from the time of admissions cycle -> school start would have a huge influence....and given the jobs where they would be THAT influential, to get that job you probably would have to have a nice resume anyways. So it wouldn't even matter.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I had sent the email already. If I get a response, great but otherwise I've amended my resume already so hopefully no harm.