Starting before matriculation

kaister

So I'm in a unique situation where I'm already volunteering in the lab that I got accepted into.  My prof wants to sit down and talk about future project ideas, which is great and I'm excited to do so.  I guess my concern is that since I'm not yet enrolled/employed, technically, is my prof going to expect me to start doing work?  I mean I do things here and there to contribute to the lab as I can (especially since it's on volunteer basis and I have a real job to make money right now).  Don't get me wrong, I would love to start on my academic life, but I feel like right now my obligations are too scattered to really do any genuine work of my own.  Once I get to start grad school, and I'll be free of other obligations to commit fully, but in this situation...what do you think?  Should I mention that to my prof?  I'm probably exaggerating what will happen in anticipation...but figured I'd hear some opinions.

I think there's a difference between talking about research ideas versus everything-but-data-collection sort of work (i.e., writing up the IRB, beginning a literature review, etc.). I personally would enjoy the opportunity to talk about future research ideas, even going so far as to sketch out a basic research design so you can hit the ground running in the fall, but I suggest flat-out asking if these ideas are for projects for once you're enrolled/employed. I think your point with the time constraints of having to work an outside job for now so not being able to commit to more work currently is certainly valid.

Maybe you should wait and see what your professor has in mind.  August will be here before you know it and, like Lisa44201 mentioned, geting a jump on things -- even if it's just being able to anticipate what the work is going to be -- is a great advantage.  (But this is coming from someone who works a full-time job, works a part-time job, takes classes, and does research as well.)  Maybe he'll just want you to start reading some of the literature on a specific topic.  Be open-minded!  Go with a positive attitude!  And I would suggest that honesty about your situation is always the best policy.

I am in a similar situation as you do. It felt odd at the beginning, but then I got used to it. Think about it as a possibility for a better start. I say that you should do as much as possible, given your situation. That's what I am doing...

Thanks you guys, you're right, I should be more positive about it.  I guess I was just worried I wouldn't be able to follow through on things.