Hi all,

Just wanted to make a thread so those of you accepted to UCR could get to know each other and ask questions. I'm a current grad student, and there are a couple of us that have been on here, so we'd be happy to answer any questions. 

you're awesome :)

i had thought about starting a thread so the [likely] members of the incoming cohort could start to get to know eachother, &c, but seems like it's too early for most to say for sure where they'll be headed in the fall. riverside's been my top choice since i narrowed down my list of programs, so i'm beyond thrilled & really looking forward to the open house!!

Well we are definitely looking forward to meeting you at open house. I will just say this in general. I wasn't sold on UCR. it wasn't my first choice, but now I absolutely love it. I could not imagine a better fitting program. It's a very supportive, collaborative environment. Everybody gets along and respects/is genuinely interested in each other's work. There's also a great sense of cultural awareness in the department. I've had the opportunity of taking a class at the school that was my first choice, and it only solidified my choice even more. 

Edited by rdsull89

I WILL be attending the open house! I am very excited. I've never been to the west coast before. One thing that does make me nervous (and is swaying me a little from UCR) is the cost of living in CA. I've heard that Riverside is cheaper than many areas in CA though. Is that true?

that is true: a lot of people who work in Orange County end up living in riverside & commuting because housing is so much more affordable. & it seems like UCR has really affordable grad student housing. i'll be commuting from long beach though :)

it wasn't my first choice, but now I absolutely love it. I could not imagine a better fitting program. It's a very supportive, collaborative environment. Everybody gets along and respects/is genuinely interested in each other's work. There's also a great sense of cultural awareness in the department. I've had the opportunity of taking a class at the school that was my first choice, and it only solidified my choice even more.

that's the overall impression that I've gotten. it's also the only program in California at least that's active in most of the areas of research that interest me. that + a supportive & collaborative atmosphere = one happy lisa!!

& as my favorite prof/unofficial mentor says: the school that "gets" you is the school that deserves you. i already feel like UCR & i click.

that is true: a lot of people who work in Orange County end up living in riverside & commuting because housing is so much more affordable. & it seems like UCR has really affordable grad student housing. i'll be commuting from long beach though :)

I've heard HORROR stories about traffic in southern California. Is that something I should be prepared for? Or is Riverside sort of outside the area where traffic gets bad?

rdsull89 can speak to that better than i can. ;)

right now, i commute to Orange County & the 18-mile drive takes me an hour or so. It looks like the commute from here to riverside (about 65 miles or so) will take me around 2 hours in traffic, but there's also the train which I think will take me 3 hours (during which I can get reading done), so depending on when my classes are, I'll see what makes the most sense.

traffic is bad during rush hour, so those horror stories are true, but it's comparable to the Bay Area.

no joke. if i leave work before 4:30 pm or after 7 pm, it takes me like 25 minutes door-to-door. But if it's in the rush hour window? Fuggedaboutit.

In regards to traffic, it depends when and where you're going. Anything around LA will be gridlock from 4-7, but in Riverside, it's really not bad. I commute, and I can leave at peak traffic time and it's really no heavier (I live in the opposite direction of LA). If you're going the direction of LA it will be worse, but not too horrible. Many students and teachers commute from LA or San Diego and have no problem. Basically, you won't have trouble in the area, and if you're going to LA or San Diego, you just avoid rush hour. I've been taking a class at UCI and I get out at 5pm so I have to go through traffic and the commute goes from about 1 hr 15m to 1 hr 45-2hr. 

As far as cost of living, Riverside is lower than many places, and neighboring cities have even lower costs. You can expect to pay between 800-1200 for a 2 bedroom apartment, so most grad students have a roommate or two. But, on the TAship salary, it's totally doable--the salaries are pretty similar at all UCs (if not the same) but we definitely have a lower cost of living. And, it's pretty easy to get a readership for some extra money. But really, cost of living in relation to the funding is not bad at all. 

Hello,

I'm applying to UCR's Ph.D. program this coming September for fall 2014 matriculation. Do you have any tips that may solidify my chances of admission? This program is my top choice. Following is a bit of info.

1.) My field of interest is Renaissance literature.

2.) I'm interested in critical theory--especially Marxist theory, new historicism, and post-colonialism. 

3.) Undergraduate GPA is strong, GRE scores are decent, I have strong letters of recommendation, and I have a strong writing sample that applies specifically to both Shakespeare and Marxist theory. 

Thanks for your help, and congratulations to all fall 2013 admits. 

Hmm, I am not sure if I really know what made me a successful applicant to UCR. I felt that I fit in very well with the program's strengths, and there are many professors there who are doing work that aligns with my interest. They also have quite a few groups that fit in well with my interests. They seem like a school that appreciates "innovative" research, so I tried to emphasize that what I am working on is on the "cutting edge." BUT, my field is very different from Renaissance.

i second everything sebastiansteddy says here. i'll also add that it may be beneficial to reach out to heidi brayman hackel with any specific questions that you may have. she's the director of graduate admissions as well as an early modernist, so my guess is that she'd be able to steer you in the right direction in terms of what facets of UCR's program are best suited to your interests.

also, use your SOP for all that it's worth. make sure that it conveys both that you've done your research with respect to UCR's program & that you're genuinely excited at the prospect of studying there. 

Thanks to both of you. I'm excited to apply, and I'll be sure to contact the DGS in the coming months to establish some rapport and get some additional information. I'll begin drafting my statement of purpose soon; my plan is to revise it throughout the summer and then apply in September. Do you know how heavily they consider GRE scores? Mine aren't bad, but they're not outstanding either; I would say they're easily the "weakest" part of my application, with my verbal score in the 77th percentile and AW in the 92nd percentile. We won't even discuss my quant score....

if i were you, i'd probably retake the GRE. your AW score is great, but your verbal score sounds pretty low for an english major. if you can study over the summer and retake it in the fall, you should be able to bump up that percentage considerably. i'd at least get some studying in & see how you score on practice tests then as opposed to now. if there's an increase, it'll probably be worth your while to take it again. i don't know how heavily UCR weighs GRE scores with respect to admissions, but they can definitely factor in with fellowship consideration, so i'd bear that in mind. maybe email tina feldmann for her advice?

Just got in contact with her. She said the graduate school uses GRE scores (probably to determine funding), but such scores don't work the same way in the English department--they simply admit the "top 10-12" out of roughly 100 applicants. To me, that's basically the "test scores are one component, but we look at the application in its entirity; a low score does not necessarily bar one from admission, just as a stratospheric score does not ensure admission." That statement, and those similar, are already becoming all too common.... (!) That said, I don't think my verbal score is horrible, although it could certainly be higher. It's right on the edge of being "good," so I'm ambivalent over whether or not I should re-take the GRE. I would just like to know at what point GRE scores and GPAs are "cut off" and departments/graduate schools are no longer influenced by higher levels of distinction.

i have just received an email from dr. hackel that i am listed on the wait list. so hi everyone! i might be joining you guys in the fall!

Congrats! You are wait listed at Ohio State too, right? I have been accepted to both, so (unfortunately) I'll be turning down at least one of them. That could mean some movement for you! Here's hoping! 

ETA: I meant unfortunately for me because I love both programs and wish I could attend them both!

Edited by sebastiansteddy

Java-- Don't worry too much about GREs. You may want to retake them, however, because a lot of other schools won't even consider you at some levels. Our department cares much less about those than other aspects of the app. You should contact a professor you're looking to work with, rather than DGS (Tobias)--so maybe Heidi Brayman Hackel, if you're into Renaissance. The biggest thing is to focus on your writing sample. And in the end, it seems it really comes down to finding people who are innovative, resourceful and can benefit from the faculty. There are people with very high GREs that get rejected, and many with lower GREs that are not, but I think our program is not the norm. Feel free to private message me if you have any questions or need any help. 

Welcome Smy917, and good luck! 

Edited by rdsull89