University of Minnesota 2013

Zabius, check out Victor Real Estate, for some nice apartments RIGHT on the St. Paul campus. My SO and I just signed a lease for an apartment less than a mile from where we will work. The place is beautiful, the neighborhood is quiet and close to work (yes it's not where the fun is at but it's close enough bus or bike whereever you want to go), and best of all the management takes very good care of their tenants. They should still have a few 1BR apartments left. You should especially check out 2097 Como Ave. We were going to have a showing of the 3BR, but it was snatched up before we could even make the trip. Although there aren't any pics online, and google maps makes it look skeevy, it was very nice in person. I think the 1BR might still be available and it is right above the management office. 

The only downside is the Sep 1 move-in date, RIGHT in the middle of the state fair. That will be a mess!

Zabius, check out Victor Real Estate, for some nice apartments RIGHT on the St. Paul campus. My SO and I just signed a lease for an apartment less than a mile from where we will work. The place is beautiful, the neighborhood is quiet and close to work (yes it's not where the fun is at but it's close enough bus or bike whereever you want to go), and best of all the management takes very good care of their tenants. They should still have a few 1BR apartments left. You should especially check out 2097 Como Ave. We were going to have a showing of the 3BR, but it was snatched up before we could even make the trip. Although there aren't any pics online, and google maps makes it look skeevy, it was very nice in person. I think the 1BR might still be available and it is right above the management office. 

The only downside is the Sep 1 move-in date, RIGHT in the middle of the state fair. That will be a mess!

Thank you for the recommendation! I will definitely go check that out now. Do you know offhand if they are pet friendly? Based on my earlier look through craigslist, I worry that I'll have a difficult time finding any apartment that will accept me with two dogs. Most ads I see say either "no pets," "cats only," or "one dog maximum." :unsure:

Two dogs will be tough! They are mostly cat friendly (small pet deposit, must be spayed/neutered, # of cats no greater than # of tenants rule), but I don't think they are dog friendly  :( . In any case keep an eye out for housing in near the St. Paul campus. New ones seem to be popping up every day! Hampden square apartments, are dog friendly and just showed up on craigslist yesterday. They're a little spendy IMO though. 

Edited by Argobacter

Thanks for the info! I know that two dogs is going to be tough. :-( Unfortunately, I refuse to leave either of them behind when I move. I'm sure that if I keep looking, I'll find a place with a compatible pet policy somewhere. They're both small, house-trained, and quiet... so I'd bet that I can find at least one landlord who'd be okay with them (I might have to call and try to negotiate, though). I don't mind paying a pet deposit.

I know of a place somewhat close to the St Paul campus that will take 2 dogs. A 1 bedroom starts at $899... Which I'm not sure is the price range you're looking for. I can send you more information if you're interested :)

I know of a place somewhat close to the St Paul campus that will take 2 dogs. A 1 bedroom starts at $899... Which I'm not sure is the price range you're looking for. I can send you more information if you're interested :)

Thanks! That price is a bit expensive relative to my RAship, but would be doable with the additional funds from my first-year fellowship. Ideally I'd like something a little less expensive (especially since there may be additional pet fees/pet rent involved) and will probably try hunting around for cheaper places. But beggars can't be choosers and it's at least worth a look, in case I can't find anywhere cheaper that will take me with the doggies. :) If you could, send me a PM with some more info (a website or contact email will do).

Thanks again!

I'm leaning strongly towards U of M at this point, but I'm getting increasingly anxious about trying to find an apartment from out of state! 

It looks like classes start 9/3 -- do leases pretty much always start on the 1st of the month? would everyone recommend moving in a month early (8/1)? obviously I'd prefer to save money but I can see it being a bad idea to move in and start classes two days later.

I've been told that most grad students, at least in my program, live in Uptown. it's looking like my SO is going to be staying in New England, so I'm trying to figure out whether a 1 bed would be affordable... I'd really rather not deal with roommates anymore -- I spent six years of my life living with at least 3 other people and I'm over it. I've been cruising craigslist and it looks like I'd probably be paying around $900 for a decent 1-bed in Uptown -- does that seem reasonable?

Leases tend to start on the 1st of the month, and lots of listings tend to go up 2 months in advance (because you have to give 2 months notice before moving out). Moving in August 1st would probably be a good idea. Even though classes start on September 3rd, there's orientation a week or two before that. I think lots of grad students in general live near 'Uptown', but more on the fringes, and not as much in the heart of Uptown along Lake St. There's express buses to campus along Hennepin/Lyndale during the semester on weekdays that takes the highway around downtown, and usually takes about 20-30 minutes. There's also a bunch of options for local buses that typically take 25-50 minutes (depending on traffic). You should be able to find a decent 1BR for less than $900. Mine is only $640, and I think the most expensive one I looked at was $820 (but it was also 3 blocks from Lake of the Isles and 4 blocks from Calhoun Square).

Leases tend to start on the 1st of the month, and lots of listings tend to go up 2 months in advance (because you have to give 2 months notice before moving out). Moving in August 1st would probably be a good idea. Even though classes start on September 3rd, there's orientation a week or two before that. I think lots of grad students in general live near 'Uptown', but more on the fringes, and not as much in the heart of Uptown along Lake St. There's express buses to campus along Hennepin/Lyndale during the semester on weekdays that takes the highway around downtown, and usually takes about 20-30 minutes. There's also a bunch of options for local buses that typically take 25-50 minutes (depending on traffic). You should be able to find a decent 1BR for less than $900. Mine is only $640, and I think the most expensive one I looked at was $820 (but it was also 3 blocks from Lake of the Isles and 4 blocks from Calhoun Square).

Thank you!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewgauthier/things-minnesotans-are-too-nice-to-brag-about

"38 Things Minnesotans Are Too Nice To Brag About" 

I thought this was funny! 

I didn't know that MN gave the world Funfetti. Now I'm even more excited!

Edited by zabius

Urgh! I hate that we have to arrive for the CSE thing in early August. I'd have been very much okay if I were to arrive even a week late. :(

Bad time to start it all ...! Plus my English skills are okay, what'd they want the TOEFL scores from us for?

I dunno what they're playing at! I wish there was some online way of doing it, as much as I'm looking forward to attending the U, I'm also interested in staying back for the first week of August for important stuff at home!

Just accepted my offer to attend UMN in the fall for their Audiology program! I'm from Iowa and don't know much about the area, so I guess my biggest concern is housing and finding roommates. I hope they release names of the other students in the program next week so that I could possibly coordinate with them since I'll be in Peru all summer and won't have time to apartment shop!

I hope they release names of the other students in the program next week so that I could possibly coordinate with them since I'll be in Peru all summer and won't have time to apartment shop!

They will. Chemistry coordinator mailed me that I will get more details on it next week.

Hi All,

I am looking for a roommate (or roommates) to share either a house or apartment, with private rooms near the West Bank. I will not be using a car, so I intend to live close to a reliable bus route so that the commute doesn't exceed 10-15 minutes. I will be looking at neighbourhoods such as Seward, Uptown and others that are known to be grad-student friendly. If you are looking for someone to share a place with please send me a PM! 

Edited by Ambigiousbuthopeful

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a roommate for move-in between now and August 1.  Shoot me a PM if you're interested, and I'll give details on the apartment, myself, etc.