How Many Schools Have You Been Accepted To?

BostonGrrl

How many schools have you been accepted to?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. How many schools have you been accepted to?

• 9 or more

I am 3 for 5. Unfortunately, my favorite (Harris School, U of C) is really dragging its feet. I think I know what that means - sigh. C'mon De Carlo, get it together!

FYI: Most of these, below, are in Human Dev/Education schools. Harris is, of course, Public Policy. Apparently they're beginning to become quite strong in policy from Human Dev perspective.

Applied: Chicago, Columbia, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Illinois-Chicago

Accepted: Columbia, Wisconsin, Illinois-Chicago

Rejected: 0

Waiting: Chicago, Northwestern

jesus christ, who's gotten into 6 schools? i need to start hanging out with you guys and learn a few things...

It all depends on how many schools you apply to. When I applied to PhD programs, I went 7/7.

I've gone 5 for 5. I withdrew 3 applications after receiving better offers from other schools. If I had to guess I'd say that I probably would have gotten into one of those three, maybe two.

What is the purpose of withdrawing an app? Just curious....because you still don't get a refund on the application fee, do you?

I presume the point of withdrawing an application is to save the admissions committee time they would have spent reviewing your file. If you already know you won't be going to a program, why not just put the kibosh on the process early?

What is the purpose of withdrawing an app? Just curious....because you still don't get a refund on the application fee, do you?

I've heard of some schools refunding your application fee if you withdraw. However, I wouldn't recommend withdrawing unless you already have other acceptances and are sure you wouldn't want to go to the school you're withdrawing your application from. I think it's best to see all your options before making a decision, unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Personally I haven't seen the point of withdrawing an application. Withdrawing an application seems to be extra work for no possible benefit - and you might even potentially run the risk of having the program think that you're weird or that your original interest in the program (as evidenced by your application) was insincere.

Now, withdrawing from a waitlist or declining an interview are completely different, of course - both of these would be in response to an action from the program.

I didn't do it for the refund, nor did I get any. I did it out of fairness to the other people involved in the process - both the profs and other applicants.

I withdrew from programs that were low on my list after I had received better offers from 3 of my top choices so I knew for sure I wasn't going to go to those places. I was interviewed at all of the schools I withdrew from and stayed in contact with potential advisers there; my field is quite small and I'm glad I made the contacts, but then at some point it started to feel wrong to keep writing about potentially going to a place I knew I wouldn't go to. The PAs also knew that I was a better match elsewhere (small field, as I said). Aside from that, I know for a fact that at least one of those schools doesn't have a waiting list, so I would possibly be denying someone of the opportunity of being accepted and offered funding at a place I already knew I wouldn't go to. Why would I want to do that?

I withdrew from programs that were low on my list after I had received better offers from 3 of my top choices so I knew for sure I wasn't going to go to those places.fuzzylogician

At first I too thought, "Why bother withdrawing?" but, after reading your reason, I wholey understand & commend you on it.

Good going and congratulations on the acceptances from your top choices.