University of Washington

For those also waiting on word about funding, this is what I've been able to find out:

The meeting to determine who is going to receive funding will take place on 3/18 and candidates will be notified after that time.

"We offer funding support about equally to both MA & PhD candidates, with about 50% of the incoming class earning a TA or fellowship. TA funding increases for students in their second year at about 85%.

The TA positions and fellowships provide an almost full tuition waiver (except for about $200 in service fees) and health care. The monthly stipend is approximately $1500. TAs are required to be full-time students with at least 10 credits per quarter, and work 20 hours a week."

For those also waiting on word about funding, this is what I've been able to find out:

The meeting to determine who is going to receive funding will take place on 3/18 and candidates will be notified after that time.

"We offer funding support about equally to both MA & PhD candidates, with about 50% of the incoming class earning a TA or fellowship. TA funding increases for students in their second year at about 85%.

The TA positions and fellowships provide an almost full tuition waiver (except for about $200 in service fees) and health care. The monthly stipend is approximately $1500. TAs are required to be full-time students with at least 10 credits per quarter, and work 20 hours a week."

So roughly 13,500 dollars stipend (9 months). I wonder if the 200 dollars is per semester or per year.

ETA: And no mention of Summer funding. "An almost full tuition waiver" sounds ominous too.

Edited by Porridge

I thought the "almost full" referred to the $200 in service fees. Maybe I'm wrong.

Oh, I see. You might be right.

Being an international, I anticipate that I will not be offered first year funding anyway.

Edited by Porridge

Based off a funded offer last year, the "almost full waiver" really does include all except those fees. If I remember correctly, the 200 is per semester, except I think Washington is on the quarter system, so that might be three times a year. Also, it's about 13500 a year starting out, but once you earn your M.A. they raise your funding to 16500 a year. Just fyi.

Based off a funded offer last year, the "almost full waiver" really does include all except those fees. If I remember correctly, the 200 is per semester, except I think Washington is on the quarter system, so that might be three times a year. Also, it's about 13500 a year starting out, but once you earn your M.A. they raise your funding to 16500 a year. Just fyi.

Thanks!

So, question: if you attend Washington for the MA (funded or unfunded) and decide to continue to the PhD, are you guaranteed funding for your PhD?

So this would mean that there is no tuition waiver? Just that the stipend almost fully covers tuition? That's not the same... :(

So this would mean that there is no tuition waiver? Just that the stipend almost fully covers tuition? That's not the same... :(

It's badly worded but no. What they mean is you will receive a living stipend AND an almost full tuition waiver.

good news is they offer really legit MA funding. The bad news is it looks like everyone and their mother was accepted and only half will get anything.

Edited by hidalgo

Thanks!

So, question: if you attend Washington for the MA (funded or unfunded) and decide to continue to the PhD, are you guaranteed funding for your PhD?

Yes. Assuming it is the same this year as last, you would be guaranteed funding for five years.

And you're sure? This would be infinitely better!

And, yes. The offer was for full tuition plus the stipend of 13500ish a year.

I see now that some people have posted rejections. My status online hasn't been updated, nor have I heard from anyone. I'm assuming this means a spot on the wait-list? Or does Washington just does these things strangely?

Not, I suppose, that it matters since I've already received offers from two schools I like better...but still, it'd be nice to know!

I see now that some people have posted rejections. My status online hasn't been updated, nor have I heard from anyone. I'm assuming this means a spot on the wait-list? Or does Washington just does these things strangely?

Not, I suppose, that it matters since I've already received offers from two schools I like better...but still, it'd be nice to know!

I'm in the exact same boat as you! I think UW is known for doing things in their own strange way.

I'm in the exact same boat as you! I think UW is known for doing things in their own strange way.

Aye.  I didn't apply, but I recall last year a lot of applicants were offended by how rude their rejection letter was (something to the effect of, "the adcom has not recommended your application for admission and I agree with their decision").  At the same time, one of the professors at my school got her Ph.D. from Washington and she absolutely raved about the school and program.  I dunno.

At the same time, one of the professors at my school got her Ph.D. from Washington and she absolutely raved about the school and program.  I dunno.

I think it is a great program with a great reputation, but a few professors have told me they feel like it is in a state of decline, largely because of funding problems. Also, I've been told that the department is known for in-fighting among faculty members. Anecdotally, someone I know who visited the program last year was told by a POI that s/he does't work with students who also work with another professor. 

And... how can a relatively highly ranked program not even have a visiting day to recruit??

Again, I think it is a great program, just food for thought.

ETA: I think I was pretty unclear about the anecdote. Professor A will not work with students who also want to study with Professor B.

Edited by sebastiansteddy

Has anyone in limbo status at UW contacted the department? I have not (yet) but am just curious if anyone else has.

Yep. Recieved an email saying it takes time to evaluate all files thoroughly and most applicants can expect to hear in march. Not very informative!

Hi guys!

Same boat with UW - I already have an acceptance with a program I like, fully funded. But I've always been attracted to Washington's program. Hmmmm.

Let's hope we hear back soon!

While we wait to hear about funding (soon!), I was curious to know if any of you are 1. going to UW no matter what? 2. have other enticing offers?, and 3. if you're playing that game where you say "If I get funded..." and then weighing your options just yet?

I'll start! I'm playing the "if I get funding" game and then weighing UW against my fully funded status at PSU, because, I'm a masochist avoiding deadlines.

Anyway, so far, looking at job placement, location, rankings, etc.: I still can't decide, even if I assume funding will be (about) equal. UW has a far superior location (plus my husband is from Seattle and can get good work there) and their job placement seems pretty good (a grad from 2009 is in a TT position at Berkeley! Need to compare it to PSU, for which I don't have complete data yet). However, they are ranked lower than PSU, though, we're not talking Top 10 vs Top 50 or something. More like a few notches from each other in the Top 30s (with the exception of the NRC rankings, which place UW way lower than PSU). I also do a lot of Critical Theory, post-1900s literature stuff, which makes UW seem like a better fit (no pre-1800s prerequisites. score.), though I already have good relationships with folks at PSU I'd like to work with.

BTW: this post going to (not) be HILARIOUS when I don't get funding.  

While we wait to hear about funding (soon!), I was curious to know if any of you are 1. going to UW no matter what? 2. have other enticing offers?, and 3. if you're playing that game where you say "If I get funded..." and then weighing your options just yet?

I'll start! I'm playing the "if I get funding" game and then weighing UW against my fully funded status at PSU, because, I'm a masochist avoiding deadlines.

Anyway, so far, looking at job placement, location, rankings, etc.: I still can't decide, even if I assume funding will be (about) equal. UW has a far superior location (plus my husband is from Seattle and can get good work there) and their job placement seems pretty good (a grad from 2009 is in a TT position at Berkeley! Need to compare it to PSU, for which I don't have complete data yet). However, they are ranked lower than PSU, though, we're not talking Top 10 vs Top 50 or something. More like a few notches from each other in the Top 30s (with the exception of the NRC rankings, which place UW way lower than PSU). I also do a lot of Critical Theory, post-1900s literature stuff, which makes UW seem like a better fit (no pre-1800s prerequisites. score.), though I already have good relationships with folks at PSU I'd like to work with.

BTW: this post going to (not) be HILARIOUS when I don't get funding.  

I'm kind of wavering between numbers 1 and 3. I do have an acceptance from U Colorado, but I'm on the waitlist for funding which seems to be rather meager even if I do end up getting it. TA-ship with tuition remission and no stipend. I honestly think that I will probably end up at Washington no matter what, though a funding offer would obviously make that much easier and less anxiety-inducing. For me personally, I think it's worth the loans for the first year based on the percentage of MA students who receive funding for their second year and because the program feeds into the PhD.

I'm kind of wavering between numbers 1 and 3. I do have an acceptance from U Colorado, but I'm on the waitlist for funding which seems to be rather meager even if I do end up getting it. TA-ship with tuition remission and no stipend. I honestly think that I will probably end up at Washington no matter what, though a funding offer would obviously make that much easier and less anxiety-inducing. For me personally, I think it's worth the loans for the first year based on the percentage of MA students who receive funding for their second year and because the program feeds into the PhD.

I'm curious to know if it was one of your top choices and why you applied? Fingers crossed that you get the funding you want!