Sociology Phd Rankings

newyorknewyork

There might not be as much change as we think - or the results could be really surprising.  A few reasons: USNWR in their grad rankings, use a metric of peer ranking/evaluation and a measure of publication record by the faculty.  So this naturally favors large programs (they have more faculty and more publications) and prestigious institutions (high regard through peer evaluation.. Harvard will always Harvard, Berkeley will always be Berkeley).  Also, the data for these rankings was probably taken 2-3 years ago, so any recent changes/movement might not really make a difference.  I think the moral of all this though is to not take these rankings that seriously (but sadly, we do and we will when they come out).

Hmm... I'm wondering about the lag time between eval and report. Any idea?

I'd hope that the evaluators would want to get the report out sooner rather than [three years] later.

It's a money making enterprise for USNWR..  they rotate the rankings updates between the various disciplines to maximize their magazine/online sales.  The surveys probably went out a few years ago and they just sit on the rankings to make sure they don't come out too often so that grad students like us get excited when they do.

A few or a "couple"? I suppose I just have to be patient. 

Word on the grapevine is that UMass has hired a very prominent social movement scholar who will be starting in the fall.

Oh no... I guess I mistakenly read the post...

None are going from Irvine to UMass. I was just referring to UMass' recent Irvine hires (about 3 in the last 3 years).

Speculation about Ohio State? From what I understand they haven't lost anyone since just before the last round of rankings came out (i.e. five years ago). In the same time they've halved their number of grads and while rising in various measures assessing faculty publications.

Based on other things I've heard, I'm betting the most significant changes will happen in the 20-35 range.

This probably explains a lot, though IMHO, a stupid decision - what good is averaging the results from 2008 and 2012 - why not just publish the 2008 ones in 2009 and the 2012 ones now?

From their website:

"Except in criminology, survey results from fall 2008 and fall 2012 were averaged to compute the scores. This is the first time that U.S. News averaged two years of results for Ph.D. programs in the social sciences and humanities."

This probably explains a lot, though IMHO, a stupid decision - what good is averaging the results from 2008 and 2012 - why not just publish the 2008 ones in 2009 and the 2012 ones now?

From their website:

"Except in criminology, survey results from fall 2008 and fall 2012 were averaged to compute the scores. This is the first time that U.S. News averaged two years of results for Ph.D. programs in the social sciences and humanities."

I agree that this is a ridiculous decision. I wonder if there will be push back and any access to the 2012 scores by themselves. Given some schools' movement (e.g., Notre Dame from 48 to 42), there must have been select schools with significant variation between the two scores. Does anyone know where to access the 2009 scores? If so, it would be fairly easy to figure out a basic average from this year given there are only two means. It wouldn't be perfect, but would be something.

I agree that this is a ridiculous decision. I wonder if there will be push back and any access to the 2012 scores by themselves. Given some schools' movement (e.g., Notre Dame from 48 to 42), there must have been select schools with significant variation between the two scores. Does anyone know where to access the 2009 scores? If so, it would be fairly easy to figure out a basic average from this year given there are only two means. It wouldn't be perfect, but would be something.

The old scores can be found using web archives. The link takes a while to load, though.

http://web.archive.org/web/20120223230755/http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-humanities-schools/sociology-rankings

Word on the grapevine is that UMass has hired a very prominent social movement scholar who will be starting in the fall.

Can you say who? Feel free to PM me if you want to be discrete.

I'm also pumped to see what happens. I don't expect much movement in the upper tiers, but I would like to see UC Irvine and ND move up. I think Irvine in particular is one of the best programs in the country to do a a few kinds of work. 

So, I found out who it was... yes, was. That person has declined the offer from UMass.

Groovy, if you don't know already, I'll let you in!

Ah! I go on vacation and the USNWR goes crazy and decides to average rankings?! I guess that goes to show me that no good comes of relaxing. :P

I came back to conspiracy theories about people in the top 10 who benefited from the averaging applying pressure. I did do a quick look at the comparison and found that schools that were hurt most by the change were almost all public. Interesting...

I suspect that the bigger change in rankings for some programs led them to average it because they are selling the idea of prestige and reputation. That shouldn't be able to change that drastically (4 spots) in 4 years. This is just an unformed thought after getting off a transpacific flight.