NYU and NYC/NJ area schools

I too have not yet heard from Seton Hall in terms of a decision. They sent me an email saying my application is incomplete, including a checklist. Everything on the checklist was marked as received...so i was confused, to say the least. In any case, my final decision is made. I just would like to hear from my remaining schools because, as you said, paid so much in application fees, transcript ordering, etc.

I got this email too! Except... I had one thing that they had not received. My high school transcript... did you send that to them? I had no idea they even required high school transcripts... I never read anything about that and no other school has asked for them.

And I'm with you guys... even though my decision is made I'd really like to know if I got into these schools. It's just so weird to me that we're getting to the end of April and still have schools to hear back from. I'm still waiting on 3.

slpgal123:
That's really odd that they asked you for a high school transcript. Did you perhaps, complete a CSD related course like Sign language for extra credit in high school? Other than that possibility, I have no idea why they'd want to access your high school information. None of my schools have asked me for high school information. The last time I wrote anything about my high school was for my FAFSA. Unless you accidentally applied to their undergraduate program?! Doesn't make sense to me lol!

Edited by slpf13

slpgal123:

That's really odd that they asked you for a high school transcript. Did you perhaps, complete a CSD related course like Sign language for extra credit in high school? Other than that possibility, I have no idea why they'd want to access your high school information. None of my schools have asked me for high school information. The last time I wrote anything about my high school was for my FAFSA. Unless you accidentally applied to their undergraduate program?! Doesn't make sense to me lol!

Isn't that weird? Nope, I didn't complete any CSD related courses in high school. I got AP Psych and AP Stat credit from high school, but I don't see that as being so relevant that they should be trying to get my high school transcripts haha. I don't know if I'm going to go through the trouble of sending them (considering my high school needs an in person request), when I know I won't be attending. Would've been nice to know the admissions decision though!

Seton Hall is very confusing. I really don't know at what point they'll notify us. Don't these schools realize that most of us had to make decisions on other schools by April 15th? I can't imagine it's going to help how many students choose to attend haha.

Officially got my rejection from LIU Brooklyn, but honestly I'm happy to just have a decision lol. At this point my decision's been made, but it'd just be nice to finally have heard back from everywhere all the same.

For those of you who are attending Montclair:

I talked to the girl I know who's in the program now to try to figure out what courses I'll be taking next semester. I'm not sure what prereqs you guys have completed, but like me the girl I talked to had completed all except for Neuro. So the courses I'll (in theory) be taking are: CSND 410, CSND 500, CSND 517, CSND 521 & CSND 534.

If you have all the prereqs completed, I think you'll only be taking 4 courses, so all of those except for 410. And the good news is it doesn't look like we'll be required to take the one course that meets on Friday :). With the 5 courses I'll be taking it looks like I'll have 2 a day, Monday through Thursday, so only there 4 days a week.

Hi All,

It's my first time posting but I have been following this thread for a while. I'm a post-bacc student with 5 speech pre-requisite under my belt. This is my second year applying and have yet to hear any news other than a 'Wait-list'! It's very discouraging especially after switching careers and being really excited about this new path. My GRE scores and undergrad GPA are decent, post-bacc GPA 3.6. A lot of volunteer experience in 2 different settings for a year, the classes and I have been working as a teacher for kindergarten over the past year. Is anyone else experiencing this kind of luck with getting no where? I want this so badly and it's just so hard to keep seeing 'NO.' Anyone have any suggestions?

Also, my other main question is: Has anyone heard anything or know anything about Adelphi and their program? Or the wait-list? How about William Paterson? Is it just me or are they taking a long time this year? I haven't heard a yes or a no from them and it's been months.

Hi All,

It's my first time posting but I have been following this thread for a while. I'm a post-bacc student with 5 speech pre-requisite under my belt. This is my second year applying and have yet to hear any news other than a 'Wait-list'! It's very discouraging especially after switching careers and being really excited about this new path. My GRE scores and undergrad GPA are decent, post-bacc GPA 3.6. A lot of volunteer experience in 2 different settings for a year, the classes and I have been working as a teacher for kindergarten over the past year. Is anyone else experiencing this kind of luck with getting no where? I want this so badly and it's just so hard to keep seeing 'NO.' Anyone have any suggestions?

Also, my other main question is: Has anyone heard anything or know anything about Adelphi and their program? Or the wait-list? How about William Paterson? Is it just me or are they taking a long time this year? I haven't heard a yes or a no from them and it's been months.

Do you have in-field experience? How were your letters and essays?

It's difficult to predict whether anyone will get into a program or not -  there are so many variables involved. Everyone has decent stats so there are a lot of other things (letters, essays, experiences) that are used to determine who will be accepted. It also depends on how competitive the programs you applied to were.

My letters came from a professor, the vice principal of the school I work for and a speech therapist that I worked with for nearly a year. Some people say you should focus on getting more letters from professors than anywhere else. What do you think? As for my personal statement, I an really happy with it and feel it gives a great amount of information about myself and my goals. MystiqueSLP, although this cycle is over for applications if I don't get in I do plan on applying again. Would you mind reading my statement and giving me some feedback? I would really appreciate it, any help is always good especially from those that have been accepted. Who knows maybe I am doing something wrong.

For those of you who are attending Montclair:   I talked to the girl I know who's in the program now to try to figure out what courses I'll be taking next semester. I'm not sure what prereqs you guys have completed, but like me the girl I talked to had completed all except for Neuro. So the courses I'll (in theory) be taking are: CSND 410, CSND 500, CSND 517, CSND 521 & CSND 534.   If you have all the prereqs completed, I think you'll only be taking 4 courses, so all of those except for 410. And the good news is it doesn't look like we'll be required to take the one course that meets on Friday :). With the 5 courses I'll be taking it looks like I'll have 2 a day, Monday through Thursday, so only there 4 days a week.
Thanks so much for the info! :)

My letters came from a professor, the vice principal of the school I work for and a speech therapist that I worked with for nearly a year. Some people say you should focus on getting more letters from professors than anywhere else. What do you think? As for my personal statement, I an really happy with it and feel it gives a great amount of information about myself and my goals. MystiqueSLP, although this cycle is over for applications if I don't get in I do plan on applying again. Would you mind reading my statement and giving me some feedback? I would really appreciate it, any help is always good especially from those that have been accepted. Who knows maybe I am doing something wrong.

I think getting letters from professors is useful since they can vouch for what kind of student you are. But getting letters from someone who knows you and your work well would be better than a mediocre letter from a professor.

I wouldn't mind reading your statement but I am no expert on what is and isn't a good statement so don't expect too much from me :P When I was writing mine, I just tried to not make it sound too cliche/dull but still send the message on why I want to be a pediatric SLP, how my experiences led me to this field, and why this particular program would be a great fit for me. I have a low cumulative GPA (3.28) so I addressed that in my statement too, but sort of in a way that made it seem like a strength rather than a weakness. My letter writers also addressed this issue as well.

Regarding the Seton hall issue, they emailed me saying I was missing a transcript after that transcript had been stated as been received in previous emails. I am flustered with their disorganization at this point and I'm not going to spend money on the mailing of another transcript. Oh well. <_<

Regarding the Seton hall issue, they emailed me saying I was missing a transcript after that transcript had been stated as been received in previous emails. I am flustered with their disorganization at this point and I'm not going to spend money on the mailing of another transcript. Oh well. <_<

They just emailed me today saying to ignore their previous email about me missing the high school transcript, since that was a mistake and they don't need it. They said my application is complete and ready for review. So maybe yours is too and they sent out a lot of mistake emails?

Hi All,

I haven't heard anything from William Paterson either. They were one of my earlier deadlines and I've heard from schools with later deadlines. Its the last school I am waiting on. I don't understand what is taking so long. Any kind of response would be appreciated, even if it is a rejection.

Great, I'll join! And you two definitely did! The building was just so beautiful as well  :) I'm very happy with my choice!

I just sent a letter to NYU, telling them that I will be declining my acceptance even though I sent a deposit in (there goes $500....).

MystiqueSLP, do you mind sharing with whom you sent your letter to NYU declining to? I will be doing this tomorrow, as I got into my first choice school off the wait list!! I would appreciate it, thank you!

MystiqueSLP, do you mind sharing with whom you sent your letter to NYU declining to? I will be doing this tomorrow, as I got into my first choice school off the wait list!! I would appreciate it, thank you!

I just emailed Erin Embry and she CCed my email to the appropriate officials.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I'm attending the Adelphi Manhattan center so I'm not looking for an apt. I live in the Bronx. I want to know more about the program in Manhattan too.

I was unaware about the whole notification process for NY as well,but that's what I was told! I'm not too nervous yet, I mean I definitely have my moments of OMG what if I don't get in, but then I talk myself down because I still have so many schools to hear from. All I need is one acceptance.... just one lol

Congrats on the acceptances! Who knows, maybe we will be classmates! I really liked Adelphi, I have friends who are there now!

Hey hopeful,

Can you tell me anything about Adelphi's Manhattan Center? I didn't apply for the Sunday program but it seems a lot of people going there instead of the main campus are doing Sunday only. I just want to know more. Professor Goldfarb is my advisor.

• 1 year later...
On March 18, 2013 at 10:52 PM, slp1485 said:

Hi all! I also got into NYU. Does anyone plan to go to the admitted students event on April 4? I'd have to fly in and miss class (I'm doing a post-bacc year right now), and I'm just wondering if it's worth it. I've never visited, though, and would like to get a feel for the program.

It's odd, because there are a few posts floating around Grad Cafe and that Speech Pathology "live journal" site (http://speechpathology.livejournal.com/) that seem to question the reputation of NYU - I think one post suggested it was in danger of losing its accreditation. I can't seem to get any specifics, though!! The website and the webinar I attended make the program seem really great - so I can't figure out what that's about. Has anyone else seen this/does anyone know more about this?

Lastly - I called Hunter College to ask about notification timing, and the girl who answered told me "I think I heard in late April." Obviously, that's after the April 15 deadline! How does everyone plan to handle this? I guess just put down the $500 deposit at NYU, and if I get into CUNY, take the loss?

By the way - congrats to all on NYU - perhaps we'll be classmates!

Does anyone know much about the Hunter SLP program? Comparing to NYU, Boston U , Northeastern. Thank you!