Expectations of Writing Abilities in Grad school

jaws2

Do programs expect incoming students to be able to write papers at a high level already?  I honestly haven't done very much writing in undergrad, and I have no idea how I am supposed to transition into writing like a professional...

They do have a high expectation at both the Masters level and Doctoral level. In fact many schools use the statement of purpose as a way to also gauge writing abilities when a writing sample isn't requested.  That said my writing itself is pretty good but I've always struggled with certain areas of grammar. When I was working on a M.A. thesis my thesis committee helped me with these issues and I also used the school's writing center to improve further. Basically I could clearly convey ideas and write at a high level but grammar was a weak spot I'm still working on. However, I did successfully complete a thesis and a masters program and got accepted to two doctoral programs.