Where Are You Heading?

For those of us still around, I thought it'd be interesting to see where everyone decides to attend (if we're lucky enough to have a decision to make).

So where ya heading?

If you feel like sharing information about your own application and qualifications, you can use the template below:

Edited by Lemeard

I suggest that we turn this into a profile thread

PROFILE:
Type of Undergrad Institution:
Major(s)/Minor(s):
Undergrad GPA:
Type of Grad:
Grad GPA:
GRE:
Any Special Courses:
Letters of Recommendation:
Research Experience:
Teaching Experience:
Subfield/Research Interests:
Other:

RESULTS:
Acceptances($$ or no $$):
Waitlists:
Rejections:
Pending:
Going to:

My Advice (primarily on writing an SOP):

I second the motion to turn this into a profile-type thread. That sort of data collection would be tremendously useful for both current and future applicants. 

edit: nevermind, someone just created a new thread for that purpose! 

Edited by ehdrums

I suggest that we turn this into a profile thread

Just saw this after posting a new thread of something similar! No preference where it gets started, but great idea.

Now that I've taken my visits, I can say with some confidence that I will be attending Iowa in the fall. :)

I have a friend who is a first year Ph.D student at Iowa! You probably met him during your recent visit :)

Having a difficult time deciding between my two options: Univeristy of north Texas and Wisconsin Milwaukee. Funding is equal. Anyone have any advice or suggestions? Could use all the help I can get

Having a difficult time deciding between my two options: Univeristy of north Texas and Wisconsin Milwaukee. Funding is equal. Anyone have any advice or suggestions? Could use all the help I can get

I would personally pick UNT but you know I do conflict stuff. I'm not sure how their judicial folks are at either place. Possibly look at cost of living and other factors if academically they're basically the same.

UNT, agreed. But again, probably different interests.

I only have 1 fully-funded offer... so I am really debating what to do.

UC Riverside (PhD, fully-funded)

UC Santa Barbara (PhD, first-year no funding, TA/GSRships years 2+)

UC San Diego (MPIA, no funding)

Usually it'd be a no brainer, right? But I received my BA from UCR. I'm thinking of jobs afterward, so getting all my degrees from the same school may not be ideal. I do love the school though, and the faculty are all great. It's just job prospects afterward that bother me.

Anyone have any feedback/advise on the matter? As of right now, unless something changes in the coming weeks, I'm going to follow the money to UCR.

I actually think that you have an easy choice. From what I have heard from faculty, I do not think that it will matter if you get all your degrees from the same place. (Though the faculty might treat you a bit differently - as they will have known you first as an undegrad.) In addition, so far as I understand, UCSB does not have that much of a better reputation than UCR. The latest US News World and Report rankings supports this. According to it, Santa Barbara is ranked 50th, while Riverside is ranked 54th. In general, I think that rankings after the first 30 or so get a little fuzzy. So there is no compelling reason to think that attending Santa Barbara might improve your job prospects. Given that, I would go with the better funding offer - assuming, of course, that each school is an equally good fit for your research interests.

I only have 1 fully-funded offer... so I am really debating what to do.

UC Riverside (PhD, fully-funded)

UC Santa Barbara (PhD, first-year no funding, TA/GSRships years 2+)

UC San Diego (MPIA, no funding)

Usually it'd be a no brainer, right? But I received my BA from UCR. I'm thinking of jobs afterward, so getting all my degrees from the same school may not be ideal. I do love the school though, and the faculty are all great. It's just job prospects afterward that bother me.

Anyone have any feedback/advise on the matter? As of right now, unless something changes in the coming weeks, I'm going to follow the money to UCR.

I actually think that you have an easy choice. From what I have heard from faculty, I do not think that it will matter if you get all your degrees from the same place. (Though the faculty might treat you a bit differently - as they will have known you first as an undegrad.) In addition, so far as I understand, UCSB does not have that much of a better reputation than UCR. The latest US News World and Report rankings supports this. According to it, Santa Barbara is ranked 50th, while Riverside is ranked 54th. In general, I think that rankings after the first 30 or so get a little fuzzy. So there is no compelling reason to think that attending Santa Barbara might improve your job prospects. Given that, I would go with the better funding offer - assuming, of course, that each school is an equally good fit for your research interests.

Thank you so much for the advice! Yeah, I know most everyone in the department personally (and some affiliated faculty outside of the department), so the shift should not be too difficult. As for fit, there are more faculty interested in the research I wish to do at UCSB (and funny enough, even more people at UCSD... but that is really not a realistic option at all). There are some people at UCR (both in and outside the department) who fit my research interests, but the dilemma is in fact that fit ranking is the inverse of funding in my case.

I will likely accept UCR's offer and attempt to make connections across schools for co-publishing opportunities. I just need to think about things for a bit longer. Thank you for your help! :)

Well, that does complicate things a bit. Still, I would tend to follow the money in this case. After all, you might find that your interests shift a bit after matriculating somewhere. If this happens, I would think it better to go to the school where you will not have to compete for funding immediately. You really do not need the extra pressure. :)

As for taking a while to think things over, I am sympathetic. I am doing just that myself.

Thank you so much for the advice! Yeah, I know most everyone in the department personally (and some affiliated faculty outside of the department), so the shift should not be too difficult. As for fit, there are more faculty interested in the research I wish to do at UCSB (and funny enough, even more people at UCSD... but that is really not a realistic option at all). There are some people at UCR (both in and outside the department) who fit my research interests, but the dilemma is in fact that fit ranking is the inverse of funding in my case.

I will likely accept UCR's offer and attempt to make connections across schools for co-publishing opportunities. I just need to think about things for a bit longer. Thank you for your help! :)

I'll be heading to Vanderbilt in the fall, very excited to start.  Was there last weekend and they basically rolled out the red carpet and have been accommodating every request I've made since as well.  Great stipend for a cheap place to live, just need to find some time to head down and find an apartment in Nashville.  Will be studying political theory.  Small part of the department, as at most places, but a few good people.

Accepted my offer from UPenn--the visit to Philadelphia was lovely and everyone seemed incredibly nice. I realize that in a few months my life is going to be torn up by the strangely appealing wrecking ball that is the graduate student's workload, but I've gotta say, right now things feel pretty damn nice. :) Here's hoping all of us have a great fall semester!

• 2 weeks later...