Are there any schools that do classified government research?

soar2962

Are there any computer science graduate schools that do classified government research? I am asking, because I have a Top Secret government clearance and would be very interested in studying at a school that conducts classified research. I would be grateful to hear from anyone that knows how common this is.

Georgia Tech does. On campus they have the Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI) that does a good bit of work with the government. I think they are most well known for radar work, but they work in other fields as well. CS program is also very strong (#10 according to US News).

Here's a link to some of the technology they work on: http://www.gtri.gatech.edu/government/defense

Thanks for the link tarrman, I had no idea that they did research in all of those areas. I will certainly be looking deeper into some of those areas. 

This isn't a very precise question. I would say most large CS departments have an intersection with classified research. There are government labs (Oak Ridge National Labs), government-funded university labs (MIT Lincoln Labs) and there are projects which either have clearance or citizenship requirements (or both) which either restrict from on-site visits (i.e. even some non-citizen PIs can't see the end implementation on-site) or faculty and students who work on the project (DARPA has a lot of these). 

My undergraduate and master's university (Minnesota) had relationships with all of these. In my area (data mining), clearance might open a few doors at ORNL, but I dont think it's a driving motivation or advantage. As a U.S. citizen grad student, I have been approached by at least three faculty who want to write a DARPA proposal with me because I meet this requirement. With clearance, the solicitations might be more. 

Thank you to everyone for the information. I am currently in the military and just starting to research all the possible research options that are available. I apologize for asking such a vague question, but thanks for the help.