Is manhattan GRE good source?

donut202

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying practice tests on manhattan prep's website. I just took a free practice test there and it was harder than the official practice tests offered by ETS. Is manhattan prep a reliable and good source? what do you guys suggest?

The general rule seems to be that if you can succeed with Manhattan, you will succeed on the actual GRE.

I have limited experience with their materials, but my husband took their free practice test, and it seemed mostly in line with the real thing.

For verbal, you may want to vary your study materials just to get more exposure to different vocab words.

They are very thorough, and depending on your level you might need such a comprehensive review. However, their questions are often a lot harder but their questions are also labeled as "Easy, Medium, Hard" so I recommend you skipping all the hard ones as they are representative. 

If you do Manahtten then make sure to use some material that is more close to the GRE's once the test approaches (do all 4 ETS practice ones) last. 

I started using the Manhattan prep books a couple of weeks ago, and I must say they are probably the best I've used so far, especially for math. The books have a didactic approach that leads you from the simplest questions to the hardest ones in a very nice pacing. 

I'd probably suggest you to buy another book to supplement the verbal part. I think the Princeton Review is the way to go.  

Few pages into the Algebra book in the Manhatten series. Already I prefer it to Barron's and PR. The Magoosh blog said that all other materials were a joke in comparison, which seems to be the case so far for me. I also tried to look at the ETS math review, and it's laid out so terribly in the book it began to hurt my head.
Manhatten is not too formal/informal, hits the right note in developing math concepts thus far, and is laid out in an approachable way. However, I agree with the above poster that you should vary it up on the verbal side. Will let people know how it is when I'm done with the materials.

• 3 weeks later...

I used both Kaplan's and Manhattan's GRE prep products.

If you are a bit rusty on a specific GRE quantitative topic ( say ratio problems :-) ), I recommend using the specific maths topic books from Manhattan’s GRE series to boost your quantitative GRE score. Kaplan GRE website isn't that good for studying specific topic (say ratio problems ),  it gives you more of a background on each topic and doesn't go in depth as you would like. Also you don't have many questions and answers for practising. By the way, purchasing an online version of a Manhattan GRE prep book allowed me access to Manhattan’s GRE test simulations

I practised with both Kaplan and Manhattan's GRE test simulations. They are a bit different but it would be good if you could practice both.

I think that Kaplan's GRE tests are a bit harder technically than the actual GRE, and Manhattan's tests are trickier. From my experience, there was more correlation between Manhattan's GRE simulation tests scores with the actual GRE score than Kaplan's GRE simulation.