Asking For More Funding

BostonGrrl

So I've pretty much decided which University I want to attend... the only problem is the amount of funding they are offering. It's decent but it's well below the cost of living in that city. I don't know whether their funding offer is flexible but I am inclined to ask as the worst thing that can happen is that they say "no" and then I accept their offer as is and look for another part-time job.

1. First Question: I am attending their admitted students weekend in 2 weeks and am wondering whether I should wait until after I visit the campus to ask about additional funding. I am not sure whether I have a better chance of getting more money if I ask now or if I ask after visiting or if I wait all the way until April.

2. Second Question: What should I say in my letter? I have done some research and it seems that their offer is $x,000 lower than other comprable Universities in my field. Should I metion this in my letter and say that, while I don't expect them to match the other offers, any movement towards closing that gap would be incredibly helpful. Alternatively, should I leave that information out and simply ask if the offer is at all flexible and that I am concerned about the difference between their offer and the realist cost of living in X city? Should I also ask about other fellowships/ summer positions I can apply for or would mentioning these alternatives make them less likely to up my offer? Other things I could mention?

I don't want to in any way be dishonest so I cannot say that Z University offered me more money when they did not and I cannot say that I will not attend their University if they don't give me more money because it is not the case. However, living on the amount of money they have currently offered would be quite difficult and I would be happy if they simply offered me $1,000 or $2,000 more per year.

Has anyone else been successful in their requests for more money? Are other students out there aksing? I know there was one post a week ago about someone who was successful, but his/her e-mail mentioned her other, better offer and since I am not in that position, following his/her model will not work for me.

Thank-you everyone!

So I've pretty much decided which University I want to attend... the only problem is the amount of funding they are offering. It's decent but it's well below the cost of living in that city. I don't know whether their funding offer is flexible but I am inclined to ask as the worst thing that can happen is that they say "no" and then I accept their offer as is and look for another part-time job.

1. First Question: I am attending their admitted students weekend in 2 weeks and am wondering whether I should wait until after I visit the campus to ask about additional funding. I am not sure whether I have a better chance of getting more money if I ask now or if I ask after visiting or if I wait all the way until April.

2. Second Question: What should I say in my letter? I have done some research and it seems that their offer is $x,000 lower than other comprable Universities in my field. Should I metion this in my letter and say that, while I don't expect them to match the other offers, any movement towards closing that gap would be incredibly helpful. Alternatively, should I leave that information out and simply ask if the offer is at all flexible and that I am concerned about the difference between their offer and the realist cost of living in X city? Should I also ask about other fellowships/ summer positions I can apply for or would mentioning these alternatives make them less likely to up my offer? Other things I could mention?

I don't want to in any way be dishonest so I cannot say that Z University offered me more money when they did not and I cannot say that I will not attend their University if they don't give me more money because it is not the case. However, living on the amount of money they have currently offered would be quite difficult and I would be happy if they simply offered me $1,000 or $2,000 more per year.

Has anyone else been successful in their requests for more money? Are other students out there aksing? I know there was one post a week ago about someone who was successful, but his/her e-mail mentioned her other, better offer and since I am not in that position, following his/her model will not work for me.

Thank-you everyone!

I don't think it hurts to ask if the funding offer is negotiable. Just plainly lay out your concern about the cost of living in that particular city. I think that's a very valid concern irregardless of whether you have other offers from other universities or not. I would just say that while you are very excited about the acceptance and grateful for the offer of funding, you are weighing your options carefully and are concerned about the cost of living in that city. I think inquiring about other fellowships and summer positions (or even subsidized housing?) is the best way to go. I mean, if they were able to offer you summer funding, that would be upping your offer, right? I think it sends a positive message saying, "I need more money from you guys, but am willing to work with you to figure out a compromise."

Even if it's true, I would probably omit the part about "I cannot say that I will not attend their University if they don't give me more money"...just don't imply either way.

Thank-you for the advice! I'm going to do as you suggest... when should I do it? Before visit, during visit, after visit?

Thanks!

Hm, I'm not really sure. For me, I would ask either during or after; I would wait to reevaluate how much I want to go there, having the benefit of a visit. And I would probably only have the girl balls to inquire during my visit if I found I struck a particular rapport with a faculty member or grad coordinator person. Otherwise I'd probably want the comfortable distance of email while talking about money issues--better to have the time to word what you want to say properly.

I had a visit recently and asked in person then. I was most comfortable doing it that way, but I might hesitate to wait too much longer because some other student might ask first and they might run out? It seems that sometimes a department can go to the greater University and ask for special funds to attract a particular candidate and I imagine this money is limited.