Full time job, part-time grad school

rllnyc

I will be starting graduate school in the fall and I have no choice but to do it part time. I have to continue working at my full time job (which I hate).  Have to pay for rent, bills, etc.

Are any of you in the same position? How hard is this going to be? How many classes can you typically take per semester? Is your job flexible with your schedule if you have to leave early for a class or miss a day? I'm nervous about this, but quite positive I can't take out enough loans to cover going to NYU full time. Or can you do that??? Help!

I have known people who were in this position, in high school actually my P.E teacher was doing his masters part time (he finished it by the by).

Do make sure your school offers letting you finish part time, of course.

• 3 weeks later...

I have friends who took a full course load in my MA program while working full time. This was not uncommon as there are a lot of job opportunities in my field in the city where I did my masters. I worked part time my first year and then switched to full time work and a lighter course load my second year. I took classes in the summer so I would complete my degree on time. I was extremely busy but was able to manage it while still staying involved in extracurricular activities and social events. Toward the end, I took classes that I knew would be less intense so I could balance everything.

Many do this. In my class 10 out of 20 students work full-time and take 2-3 classes per semester. And 7 out of the remaining 10 work part-time and take 3-4 classes per semester. I am part-time work and full-time school. It is doable but you need to get your priorities straight - for example, when you have exams ot ostudy for or projects to complete, you would have to give school a priority.

I am currently working a full-time job and attending graduate school as a full-time student. It is not easy, but it is doable. Also, I am able to do this because my boss is allowing me to work on a flexible schedule - I leave work early twice a week. I still work at least 40 hours per week, but having a flexible work schedule helps a lot. I will be finishing my masters in a couple of weeks and then no more school until September. I will be going to a different university (a way better university than the one I am currently attending), so I will see if I can still do both. If I can't manage both then I will give up work, since education is my priority. It is all about time management. Good luck.

I work full-time and go to school full-time. From work to school it's a 2 hour commute; however, I am only on campus two times a week.  It helps that my program is geared towards working adults and all of the courses are at night.  Also, I communicate openly to all of my professors and do most of my work on the weekends.  I also teach and have a day off during the week, so that helps as well.  It is possible to do.  I would say start off will taking 2 classes at the most your first semester, and then you will see how you can negotiate your time.  After that, you will probably pick up more classes as you get more comfortable with the demands of your job, school and home life.

I seriously thought about applying to a school in NYC but even with a stipend I worried the cost of living would just be too high to be independent.

Like Hopslam, I was enrolled fulltime in my Master's program and I've been working fulltime in a few different jobs since I was a senior in undergrad (and these jobs often ate up more than 40 hours a week). It's doable, but for me it meant giving up a fair chunk of my personal life (I tried going without sleep at one point to compensate, I don't recommend this). Fortunately the classes I took were primarily at night and most of the time I had flexibility with my job to balance my class schedule. I think I was taking around 4 or 5 classes a semester.

I'll be the first person to say that this isn't for everyone, though. I tend to get annoyed when people complain about having to work and go to school but I tend to thrive on being busy.