Entering management consulting after MPP/MPA/etc.

Imhotep

Does anyone have knowledge of/advice on management consulting prospects for MPP/MPA/etc. graduates?

I'm sure that the MPP/MPA doesn't put you in the same bracket as the MBAs -- but are the MPP/MPAs on the same level as BAs?

I'm not determined to go into management consulting, but it is one of many interests I have (most of them are aligned with the MPP/MPA course of study) so I'm trying to feel out the possibilities.

Have you heard of anyone making a MPP > Associate Consultant > Consultant transition without a MBA?

I'm sure this happens often. There are also people straight from undergrad who go from Associate to full Consultant without getting a grad degree. Do you think you could get a consulting interview at McKinsey/Bain/BCG with your resume as it is now? Usually the people who get good offers were already in a great spot before matriculating to their MPP so you could even try interviewing without wasting two years of earning potential and tuition at a public service graduate school.

I've seen SAIS alums move into consulting at some of the major firms. I think it depends on the program itself. Aside from the obvious brand name, I would say the skills you gain are so important. SAIS and Chicago Harris are the two main policy/IR programs that advocate a strong knowledge of quantitative techniques so they are able to leverage those skills to suit these companies. So its definitely possible and agreed to check out LinkedIn to find alums for your respective school that may want to help out.

I'm sure this happens often. There are also people straight from undergrad who go from Associate to full Consultant without getting a grad degree. Do you think you could get a consulting interview at McKinsey/Bain/BCG with your resume as it is now? Usually the people who get good offers were already in a great spot before matriculating to their MPP so you could even try interviewing without wasting two years of earning potential and tuition at a public service graduate school.

It's nearly impossible to get an interview at a big 3 consulting firm (McKinsey/BCG/Bain) without going through formal on-campus recruiting. That's where the vast majority of hires come from, especially from the top 10 b-schools. I know HKS does decently well in consulting but not sure how many get MBB offers or what their starting salary is like. I do have a friend doing MPA-ID right now who got an offer from MBB, and I'm pretty sure he will be getting paid the same as MBAs.

As for why an MPP/MPA rather than an MBA, good chance that the OP or others get into HKS but not a top 10 MBA program. HKS is difficult to get into by policy standards but nowhere as hard as top b-schools.

From recent data, HKS students make up 1% of McKinsey hiring which is informative because Mckinsey is the most committed to hiring non MBAs. To compare, MBA students from good schools like NYU Stern or Berkeley Haas also make up only 1%. Bottom line is that you should not go to HKS with the purpose of landing MBB, but it is not impossible.

From recent data, HKS students make up 1% of McKinsey hiring which is informative because Mckinsey is the most committed to hiring non MBAs. To compare, MBA students from good schools like NYU Stern or Berkeley Haas also make up only 1%. Bottom line is that you should not go to HKS with the purpose of landing MBB, but it is not impossible.

Do you mind sharing that data/source/link with us?

I wonder how schools like GWU Elliott and Tufts Fletcher perform in this area. I know they have good links to people in MBB but not sure how well the place. I guess it may have something to do with the fact that they may not be as quantitative as SAIS or SIPA. 

• 9 months later...

Deloitte's Austin office actively recruit at UT's LBJ School for human capital/strategy & operations positions. The Austin office is primarily engaged in public sector rather than commercial consulting, so it makes sense for them to focus considerable attention on policy students.

Candidates can also apply to the D.C. office. 

• 3 weeks later...

I know a few Ford MPPs who have interviewed with McKinsey - no one has received any offers to my knowledge.  McK doesn't do on-campus recruiting specifically at Ford but holds a general information session for all non-MBA graduate students at Michigan.

I also know a few Ford MPPs who have gone straight into consulting at the Consultant level.  While it happens, you probably need a minimum of 3 years of experience.  The shorter your WE, the higher quality it'll need to be or the better match it'll need to be.  Most straight MPPs are not going to be strong candidates for MBB.  The most likely best-case scenario is an Accenture/Deloitte/Booz tier or a more niche firm in your field of interest.

For disclosure: I'm heading to one of the Accenture/Deloitte/Booz firms and also recruited with the MBB tier this year.

Edited by method