PhD programs in Microbiology/Immunology

nns91

I think you could mention that you think that is cool, but also make it clear that though you really like that area, that you also have broader interests in "A, B, and C" that you look forward to exploring as well. I think it is important to show them you have interests, but also that you're flexible in those interests (if you truly are) and excited about what their program has to offer. Some students mention research similar to that of specific PIs at the school, or even mention the PIs themselves, but I did not do that in my Statement of Purpose.

Searching for how much grant funding they have is actually quite easy.

For NIH (biomed specific) grants, go to:

http://projectreporter.nih.gov/reporter.cfm

and you can search by PI

For NSF (basic research, not as obviously medically linked, go here:

http://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/advancedSearch.jsp

and again you can search by PI

Obviously, there are other funding sources (especially HHMI, but that is just a matter of whether they are a HHMI investigator or not, and again easily searchable on the HHMI website), but for Micro/Immuno, those two (especially NIH) will be the biggies.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Biotechie,

i would like to get a bit more info about this school:

University of Utah (Molecular Bio)

how is the competitiveness of the program? i am searching for middle tire school with middle rank program as my profile is crappy. can you kindly help to evaluate my chance and also give your two cents on what should I put in my PS to make up a killer essay?

i have four years of post graduate research experience, in global renowned lab under reputed supervisor. a MSc (no GPA tho, school policy), and my UG GPA is 2.3. my LoRs are nice and strong, and i have multiple publications.

and Hello NNS91,

I just happened to fall into the immunology of viral infection sector. the idea of "immune response against viral infection" can be wide or narrow - depends on the school you are applying. as immune response to infectious disease is quite ubiquitous, CD4+, CD8+, CTL, vaccine, drug resistance etc etc. that doesn't differ much when you look at the big picture between bacteria and virus. However, when you come down to molecular level, the immune response between influenza and HIV can be two different story. so just as general suggestions, i think if i were you i will browse the school website, look up for professor's pages. if there are only one group who works on immune response of T killer cells upon HIV infection, then your topic is "too" wide (that i think the POI will doubt if you are just shooting the board hoping for a shot). but if there are actually a "centre of virology" that 4 big groups are working on HIV, SIV, influenza, SARS, whatever virus with T cell, B cell, MHC I, TLR whatever receptors, then this idea is appropriate, imho.

tho up till now i still am not sure if i will subtly indicate my interest pointing to specific POI in my PS, i am looking for any ideas upon this.

Hello Biotechie,

i would like to get a bit more info about this school:

University of Utah (Molecular Bio)

how is the competitiveness of the program? i am searching for middle tire school with middle rank program as my profile is crappy. can you kindly help to evaluate my chance and also give your two cents on what should I put in my PS to make up a killer essay?

i have four years of post graduate research experience, in global renowned lab under reputed supervisor. a MSc (no GPA tho, school policy), and my UG GPA is 2.3. my LoRs are nice and strong, and i have multiple publications.

Hi Meaningless,

I applied there, but rejected their interview. They wanted to bring me out for a whole weekend for a poster session, interviews, and skiing. They have tons of faculty with active labs, I think over 100 of them in the program, and it looks like lots are immunology-based. I was more interested in the epigenetics faculty. I think that their program would be fairly laid back, but that you would still get the experience and experience enough of the competitiveness to do well after graduation. I don't know how they will look at your GPA, but if your GRE, letters, and PS are good, maybe they'll overlook it as long as you can explain. Research experience was what got me in, though my GPA was higher. Publications help; I only had one!

As far as your PS goes, that's going to vary from person to person. I keep telling people this, but you have to look at admissions like they're a super intelligent cranky monkey that needs a beer and a cigarette. You've got to get them interested and make them want to learn more about you within the first paragraph. They need to remember your application, and to be memorable, you really need to put your all into it. I talked about why I am passionate about science and the things that make me cut out for a career in research... and I talked about the people who got me here and how I have evolved into what I am. I showed them passion and that I have a strong interest in education and research. Mine made my PI cry; you obviously don't have to do that or might not want to. But make sure they can see who you are when you write it. Don't put up a facade; if they don't catch it when you interview, they'll catch it when you start to try to progress in their program.

• 1 month later...

You rock for this!!!! Now I see what grants my POI's have!!!
Let the obsessive querying begin!!!

Searching for how much grant funding they have is actually quite easy.

For NIH (biomed specific) grants, go to:

http://projectreporter.nih.gov/reporter.cfm

and you can search by PI

For NSF (basic research, not as obviously medically linked, go here:

http://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/advancedSearch.jsp

and again you can search by PI

Obviously, there are other funding sources (especially HHMI, but that is just a matter of whether they are a HHMI investigator or not, and again easily searchable on the HHMI website), but for Micro/Immuno, those two (especially NIH) will be the biggies.

• 1 month later...

Looking to get an unbiased opinion.....
Undergrad GPA: 2.8 (JHU Biology Program)

Masters GPA: 3.9 (JHU Biotechnology Program with Thesis)

GRE Quant: 160

GRE Verbal: 158

GRE Analytical Writing: 4.5

I've got 5 years of clinical lab experience and 4 years of research with a thesis (masters was part time for 2 years while working 40+ hours a week and taking call) . Additionally my thesis research has been presented at 3 national meetings ( American Heart Association, American Society for Histocompatability and Immunogenetics and Immunocor- Directors Meeting). My undergrad GPA is low, I know. I lost some focus during undergrad but obviously have shown how serious I am about my academics now considering my performance in my masters program. I've got very strong LORs (my masters academic advisor/ Director of masters program) evenn asked me to guest lecture in his class this Fall, ::exciting:: in addition to two very tenured professors at JHU School of Medicine.

Honest opinions......

Applying to-

Johns Hopkins University -Immunology

JHU-MMI

UPenn-Hershey-Biological Sciences

Duke-Immunology

UNC-Chapel Hill-Immunology

University Miami (FL)- Biological Sciences

Washington University in St. Louis (WashU) - Biological Sciences, Immunology

So I am trying to specifically narrow down my school list now !!!! I have this one big problem. I know for sure I am interested into microbiology/immunology (slightly more with immunology). However, I don't know how to narrow down my specific interest in the specific field. For example, I find that I am interested in way too many different subfields within immunology (pretty much all of them). I know that I am not a big fan of transplantation immunology. Other than that, I like pretty much anything else: innate immunity, adaptive immunity, immune response to infection (esp viral infection).

With these broad ranges of interest, what can I do to narrow down to search specifically for schools? Do you guys have any tip?

Consider adding University of texas southwestern medical center to your list of schools. 40% of my incoming class is international students.

Edited by mrmolecularbiology

Thank you mrmolecularbiology! I will take a look at UT Southwestern. Anyway, I took my GRE on Saturday and scored Q:162 and V:157. You think this adequate to apply to some of the most competitive programs?

Nns91, I think we talked about your scores in chat recently. We told you to quit stressing; you're not going to have to retake it with enough time to have official results comfortably ahead of the deadlines. As long as your writing is okay, I think you will be fine. I don't put a lot of stock into the general GRE, and most programs just look to see if you're above a certain cutoff. You should be above this with those scores for most programs. Exceptions might be UCSD which requires 80% (though that isn't set in stone as I was offered an interview), UW Seattle, or UCSF (which requires subject GRE).

UT Southwestern will probably accept those scores, as well as the other programs I previously mentioned.

I don't think UCSF BMS requires the subject test either. I interviewed there without taking it. I don't know about all their programs though, maybe some of them do.

In my experience, GRE scores matter very little (unless you tanked it) and only serve as a cut-off for initial screening. I wouldn't worry too much.