YDS MARc

taycross

I was admitted to and am wondering what the experience is like for the YDS MAR Concentrated program. My concentrate is Theology. I would like to pursue the Historical Theology track.

For those who have been through the program, how do you know which professor you have been admitted by? How closely do you work with that professor? How flexible is the course scheduling?

Thanks in advance for helpful responses.

Cheers.

I was admitted to and am wondering what the experience is like for the YDS MAR Concentrated program. My concentrate is Theology. I would like to pursue the Historical Theology track.

For those who have been through the program, how do you know which professor you have been admitted by? How closely do you work with that professor? How flexible is the course scheduling?

Thanks in advance for helpful responses.

Cheers.

I guess I'm just commenting to bump this thread; I'd be interested in the responses too : )

Though, I already know I'll be going, unless I get admitted to ND. FWIW, I was admitted to the Bible concentration.

Edited by ttgannett

I guess I'm just commenting to bump this thread; I'd be interested in the responses too : )

Though, I already know I'll be going, unless I get admitted to ND. FWIW, I was admitted to the Bible concentration.

I am in the same situation. Waiting on pins and needles for the ND MTS results. I will be going to ND if accepted there, but if not I will be moving to New Haven.

Bumping this. Are there any YDS MARc graduates who can speak to what it means to "work closely with a professor of your respected discipline," like the YDS website says?  

what it means to "work closely with a professor of your respected discipline," 

Mostly it means that you do their laundry. Sometimes their yardwork.

It is hoped that you will learn through osmosis. 

It's an innovative educational strategy. 

I was admitted as a comprehensive student and switched to the literature and theology concentration after my first semester. My advisor was always Dr. Peter Hawkins, the professor of theology and lit. He is now a good friend. All the professors that I encountered at YDS are very approachable and happy to work with students who show earnestness. The program is so short, make the most of your time and enjoy it while you're there!

I was admitted as a comprehensive student and switched to the literature and theology concentration after my first semester. My advisor was always Dr. Peter Hawkins, the professor of theology and lit. He is now a good friend. All the professors that I encountered at YDS are very approachable and happy to work with students who show earnestness. The program is so short, make the most of your time and enjoy it while you're there!

That literature and theology program sounds awesome. I am just finishing my undergrad at a very secular state school in English, but have spent 7 years autodidactically studying the Bible and theology, which is my real interest. That being the case, I managed to slip in some theological issue or biblical text into virtually every paper I wrote, such that I feel like my undergrad degree might as well be in something like Literature and Theology ; )

In any case, I'm really excited that I'll be at a program with students in programs like Lit and Theology/Theology and the Arts and the dual degree with the school of Forestry's Master of Environmental Management... I feel like there's a lot of theologians who would greatly benefit from studying English lit/theory. But I'm probably biased that way!

Edited by ttgannett

Still waiting on funding info from Duke, but it's down to Duke and YDS. Looking like I may see you in New Haven in the fall!

Yeah, I haven't received funding info from Duke, but am pretty sure it will be 22%. So, I've just gone ahead and officially accepted Yale's offer. 

Turned it down yesterday. Good luck to all you Yaleys!

You chose PTS right? I considered applying to PTS solely because of the center for Barth studies, lol! All told, it wouldn't have been a great fit otherwise, but I love Barth, and that would be awesome...! Anyway, that's a great program as well, and best of luck to you!