Public Policy Musical Chairs

ThePope

I'd really love your insight here guys. My time is quickly running out to make this call.

I've been accepted to several Public Policy programs, but didn't get a dollar of funding from any of them. So I'm looking at sticker price wherever I go.

I've narrowed it down to either George Washington University's Trachtenberg School, or University of Maryland's School of Public Policy. GW's tuition would cost about 60k for the whole program, whereas Maryland's would only cost me 40k, since I'd get in-state tuition.

That's a savings of 20k. With that savings, I could afford to live on campus at Maryland for a year, which I could not afford to do at GW (I'd have to commute from my parents' house). Or, of course, I could simply spare myself the extra 20k in debt.

So the question is, does GW have enough of a leg up on Maryland to warrant an extra 20k? My financially responsible side says "absolutely not," but I'm ideally looking to work on Capitol Hill. I don't see myself happy anywhere in the bureaucracy or at a think tank; the legislative body is where I've found my home. And Washington, D.C.'s job market is very much based on who you know, and what connections you have. That in mind, and from what research I've done...

GW has more powerful alumni than Maryland; GW has far better guest speakers and open forums than Maryland; GW is right next to the White House; GW's program has a whole aspect devoted to job placement, without which they won't even let you graduate, whereas Maryland's curriculum doesn't mention anything about employment assistance or career counseling.

Which way would you go? Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of either school that could help me make this decision? I'd appreciate any and all insight!

• 4 weeks later...
1. Save the money if you go to SPP.
2. Can you get a research assistantship at SPP during your second year? If so, I think it tips in favor of SPP.
3. College Park is not that far and I think you can network a lot if schedule your classes right 
4. I've been to visit SPP and I noticed that a lot of professors are practioners so they could help you find an entry point for a Hill job.

By the way, I've visited both College Park and GW (Elliot). I didn't apply to Elliot but I applied to College Park because they are more generous with funding. Actually, I lived on the campus for several weeks at the Marriott hotel there. I was working for IFC (part of the World Bank Group) and we had a residential training program that is always based on the campus. 

GWU would be good in terms of proximity to the Hill.  All the reasons you mentioned why it might be a better fit for you are relevant and important.  However, are completely set on working on the Hill right out of grad school?  If you haven't already, you could also work in a State Legislature, which is also good and interesting work and often a great way to transition over to the Hill eventually via connections and with concrete experience. Maybe you could pursue that in Maryland?

All that said,  my decision came down to American and SAIS in a very similar way to your conundrum.  SAIS will be about $20k more and I chose it because it's just such a better fit and opportuniy for me.  Take money out of the equation and really compare the two programs side by side.  If GWU comes out on top, go with your gut as it will be worth the $20k in the long-run. 

Wow, this thread got some unexpected responses!

CreamTea-- First off, nice username. Secondly, thank you for the reply. I've visited both as well, and SPP was really nice. That's what makes it such a tough call. And you're right, a lot of the professors did seem to be practitioners. I need to look into whether the same can be said of GW's.

Flyingjellyfish-- Thanks for responding, I really appreciated what you had to say. It's good to know there are other people out there taking the more expensive route for the sake of their overall experience. Money is a leading factor, but I don't think it's the only one. I don't even think it's the most important. And I'm broke! But this is too big of an experience to be a total cheapskate.

Awphenomenally-- Yeah, that's a REALLY good question I didn't even think about until very recently. I'm doing research on that now, and I actually think that's going to be the deciding factor for me. Thanks for your insight!

I think, in general, I'm leaning slightly more toward GW, but not by much. It's just been my dream school for a while, so it's hard to let go of that, but I'm making every effort to assess this objectively. I only have this weekend to decide, so it'll be an interesting few days. Thanks everyone.

I have to say, choosing which grad school to attend has been one of the most challenging decisions of my life and I've been at several crossroads before!! Good luck this week!

Also, to follow up, It's important to determine what your threshold on costs is. For me, an overall $20k difference over two years made it worth considering the more expensive program. Any more than that and I probably would have gone with the cheaper school.

Wow, this thread got some unexpected responses!

Awphenomenally-- Yeah, that's a REALLY good question I didn't even think about until very recently. I'm doing research on that now, and I actually think that's going to be the deciding factor for me. Thanks for your insight!

That is ultimately what made my decision. If schools did not have a list on their website of alumni employment, I emailed someone at the program to obtain it. I choose the school that had alumni/professors where I want to be. I feel confident that post-grad I will have a job and in a field I want to be in. If this is not clear, sector/field = private, state govt, federal govt, nonprofits, etc.

Flyingjellyfish-- Thanks for responding, I really appreciated what you had to say. It's good to know there are other people out there taking the more expensive route for the sake of their overall experience. Money is a leading factor, but I don't think it's the only one. I don't even think it's the most important. And I'm broke! But this is too big of an experience to be a total cheapskate.

I went with a more expensive route (not the most expensive but only cause I asked for more money). I am already in a ton of student debt and will be banking on loan forgiveness programs as it is. Ultimately, my happiness and future job were worth more than $10-20k. Plus, cost of living would possible cancel that extra funding out.