A chinese applicant's chances of Admission in CS MS programs

kaoziji

Hi, I am a software engineering undergraduate from the Sun Yat-Sen University in China. It's my first post at gradcafe, hope all you guys can understand my poor English.  

I will graduate with a gpa of 3.8/4.0(top 10%~15% maybe) this summer. My major gpa is also 3.8. While they looks not bad, they are calculated by my school's special method.

Profile:
Gre Score : 319. 153 Verbal , 166 Quant

TOEFL Score: 98 (listening:22 speaking: 20 reading:27 writing:29)
I have no research experience because it's really difficult for an undergraduate to do some researches in my school. However, I worked on some commercial projects like android apps and websites. 

I have invited three of my professors to submit recommendations. All of them are in CS professors but none of them enjoys good reputation in this field. 

I have finished applications in Computer Science at following Universities(10 in all):

Columbia,  New York University,  UC San Diego,  UC Irvine,  University of South California,  University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, Northwestern University, Northeastern University,  University of Florida, Washington University in St. Louis

I am really worried about my Toefl score and I wonder if I have any chance of getting into places like Columbia, Washington University in St. Louis. If not which ones listed above are more possible? Any opinion would be welcome. 

thank you

I am not sure if improving your TOEFL score will improve your chances of admission to universities like Columbia, Washington University in St. Louis. These universities are very respected and hard to get into even if you have great stats.

Better get a high known recommended in some CS field - that would be way more effective.

On 3/17/2013 at 2:21 PM, compiler_guy said:

I am not sure if improving your TOEFL score will improve your chances of admission to universities like Columbia, Washington University in St. Louis. These universities are very respected and hard to get into even if you have great stats.

Better get a high known recommended in some CS field - that would be way more effective.

thank you so much! I see that you have been accepted by UCLA which is my dream school, big cong!

However, I have submitted all my three recommendations. In fact, there are no such professors who enjoy high reputation in the field in my school, so I have no choice.

I don't have any experience in graduate admissions because I haven't applied yet anywhere. I think that there are a few things that you can to improve your chances:

1) Try to improve your TOEFL scores. I don't think that this was the reason that you (might) don't get in, but it is better to have great scores there too.

2) Find a research oriented job (R&D department of a company) and get there research experience. Even though research experience doesn't count much for an MS, I think that it will improve your profile.

3) Read research papers in areas that interest you. That will help you write a better SOP as you will know better what you want to do and what are your interests. As I said before, there is no need to have research experience to get into an MS program but given the fact that your recomenders are not well known people, having a little research (and work) experience will make a better name for yourself as you will know better how to write and present yourself while showing a couple of additional skills than that you now have.

Thats my thoughs and keep in mind that I don't have any experience in grad school admisions.

As far as I know, Columbia has already released their decision. Did you get it?

Thank you for reply!

Unfortunately, I have not get any decision from Columbia. But as far as I know, international applicants will get decisions later than applicants in U.S. So I'm sitll waiting.

I don't have any experience in graduate admissions because I haven't applied yet anywhere. I think that there are a few things that you can to improve your chances:

1) Try to improve your TOEFL scores. I don't think that this was the reason that you (might) don't get in, but it is better to have great scores there too.

2) Find a research oriented job (R&D department of a company) and get there research experience. Even though research experience doesn't count much for an MS, I think that it will improve your profile.

3) Read research papers in areas that interest you. That will help you write a better SOP as you will know better what you want to do and what are your interests. As I said before, there is no need to have research experience to get into an MS program but given the fact that your recomenders are not well known people, having a little research (and work) experience will make a better name for yourself as you will know better how to write and present yourself while showing a couple of additional skills than that you now have.

Thats my thoughs and keep in mind that I don't have any experience in grad school admisions.

Thank you so much for telling me these!

1) I will do my best to improve my TOEFL score. Improving my English skills can also help me adapt to life in U.S.

2) I have already get an internship in a company, I developed android app there for 2 months. I don't know if that is helpful. 

3) I think it's such a great advice! I will try to read some interesting papers to improve my writing skills in the field. 

Again, thanks for your suggestions!