Fletcher MALD - Fall 2013

MALD

Who's getting pumped about Fletcher? I'm excited about the program, the student body, and their generous aid package. Where else are Fletcher admits deciding between? Hope to see everyone in Somerville in the fall.

I'm about 80% set on going to Fletcher.  I'm taking some time to consider Elliott, as per my other thread, and to decide where I want to be for the next two years.  How are people plannning to find housing for Fletcher?  I won't be able to go up there until the second week of August and am a bit concerned about finding a good, affordable, place near a subway stop.  Also as someone recently married I can't take the cheaper route and just find roommates.

I'm about 80% set on going to Fletcher.  I'm taking some time to consider Elliott, as per my other thread, and to decide where I want to be for the next two years.  How are people plannning to find housing for Fletcher?  I won't be able to go up there until the second week of August and am a bit concerned about finding a good, affordable, place near a subway stop.  Also as someone recently married I can't take the cheaper route and just find roommates.

Makes sense. Good to think through this important decision. I'd say that Fletcher's a much better choice in terms of the program and general feel. I understand your interest in being in DC, but Fletcher provides opportunities to get down to the District (during their annual career trips and in the summer). Plus you'll be busy with school and part-time internships will distract from the graduate experience (my two cents).

I don't think you need to fret too much about housing. Davis is full of good options and most open up August or September 1st. Boston is notorious for overcharging/predatory apt agents, but I've found that Craigslist can turn up some good, no-fee finds. Just got to be persistent.

Good luck with your decision.

I'm also about 80% sure about Fletcher. Their student outreach and generous aid has really impressed me. I'm not sure whether I'd want to live on campus at Fletcher or off...I was attracted to the cheap rent of the grad dorms, plus the fact they're furnished and you're not stuck in a year lease (i.e. summers away will be much easier....).

Does anyone have advice on whether most grad students live on or off campus, or on how the experience might differ either way?

Thanks!

I'm also about 80% sure about Fletcher. Their student outreach and generous aid has really impressed me. I'm not sure whether I'd want to live on campus at Fletcher or off...I was attracted to the cheap rent of the grad dorms, plus the fact they're furnished and you're not stuck in a year lease (i.e. summers away will be much easier....).

Does anyone have advice on whether most grad students live on or off campus, or on how the experience might differ either way?

Thanks!

Most students live in Somerville. I have some Fletcher friends who are moving out from their rooms in group houses etc. if you're interested. Send me a message later :) 

MALD -- are you at Fletcher now? Do you know what kind of semester internship opportunities are available in the Boston/Cambridge area? 

Nope--just was accepted to the program as well. I'd say the majority of students that I talked to do not do internships during the fall or spring semesters though. Instead they work on campus, TA, etc--and then do an intense summer internship. I think this is probably the best approach.

I'm also heading up to Fletcher - I told myself I would be happy with any one of SAIS, MSFS or Fletcher, and while I don't like the idea of New England winters, everything else seems just about right. The aid package is quite generous and I am looking forward to a mentally less-fraught degree...

Applied: SAIS, Gtown MSFS, GWU, AU, Fletcher, Yale, LBJ

Accepted: SAIS(8k), AU SIS (waiting), Fletcher(20k), MSFS(0$), Elliott (10K), LBJ (waiting), Yale ($17k)

Applied: SAIS, Gtown MSFS, GWU, AU, Fletcher, Yale, LBJ

Accepted: SAIS(8k), AU SIS (waiting), Fletcher(20k), MSFS(0$), Elliott (10K), LBJ (waiting), Yale ($17k)

Nice application season! Congrats.

I'm also not considering Fletcher. Main reason is the money that they offered me which is not competitive with what I've been offered elsewhere. Also, I feel that in order for me to choose them, they would have had to offer me not just the same amount but more money than SAIS for example in order for me to attend simply because of the location that is not so great. But don't get me wrong, I was really excited to get admitted into such a great school as Fletcher and I'm sure it's the right choice for a lot of people here.

Would love to hear why some people chose Fletcher over SAIS or Elliott. I got 10k from Fletcher, nothing from SAIS, but I like the idea of being in Bologna/D.C. than Boston.

This is my situation as well, but I feel like opting for the school with funding is a no-brainer.

Would love to hear why some people chose Fletcher over SAIS or Elliott. I got 10k from Fletcher, nothing from SAIS, but I like the idea of being in Bologna/D.C. than Boston.

Definitely a fair point. I feel like if you've lived/worked/studied in DC before, going somewhere else (whether Boston or Bologna) is more appealing than heading back to the District. That said, I would agree that if you've never spent time in DC, built a network there, or experienced what Washington has to offer it'd be a tough choice.

But as people have already mentioned, Boston is a hotbed of innovation and education (and the intersection between these two concepts is incredibly exciting).

Definitely a fair point. I feel like if you've lived/worked/studied in DC before, going somewhere else (whether Boston or Bologna) is more appealing than heading back to the District. That said, I would agree that if you've never spent time in DC, built a network there, or experienced what Washington has to offer it'd be a tough choice.

But as people have already mentioned, Boston is a hotbed of innovation and education (and the intersection between these two concepts is incredibly exciting).

I've never even been to D.C.! (once when I was 8, but basically never). I'm actually from New York, so either place would be new to me. Honestly, I didn't think I would get into these places so I'm sort of stunned by this decision! Very excited/honored to go to either. I'm sure the open houses will be helpful.

I haven't decided yet either way, but I am currently leaning towards Fletcher over Elliott for several reasons. First, I would like to focus most of my time on my actual studies than on a semester internship. I need the additional education and skills training, and I think an intensive summer internship will be the more valuable experience anyway. I'm also excited about their human security program and the ability to complement it with security/defense courses. 

Second, I'd like to have the community environment that a place such as Fletcher offers. I plan to talk to current GWU students about what their experience has been like -- my initial expectation is that it can't compare since people primarily work/intern during the day . I'm not naturally adept at networking, so I think it might be easier for me to build connections in a more collegiate environment.

Third, Fletcher is considered a notch above GWU in rankings and I have been offered a decent scholarship. It pains me enough to have to turn down SAIS and SFS for financial reasons. I keep wondering if going in the 90k+ for those schools would be worth it, but if Fletcher is in the same tier as SAIS and SFS, it makes more fiscal sense to go there.

And on a personal note, I don't see my future in DC. I'm open to it, but it's highly unlikely that my significant other would ever be able to find work in his field there. 

Those are my main reasons, but several are  subjective and wouldn't convince others. 

Edited by waltlaa9

I was born outside the US and I had never even heard of SAIS before I started looking at graduate schools, and had heard of Georgetown as a place to train excellent US diplomats. On the other hand, as my family is a UN family, we met Fletcher people. Part of that is reflected in that it is the oldest school for IR, so naturally there is that bias. Further, I know several people with Fletcher degrees working in the Middle East etc., all for employers other than the US government, so the idea of tapping into that network is very attractive.

Of course, when I started researching schools, looking at rankings etc. I tiered my schools and my choices, binding Fletcher to Georgetown and SAIS. I particularly liked the idea of SAIS as so many people work for multilateral organizations, so I was hoping for a bit of money from them, but all's well that end's well.  This was my thought process, and I am sure it will be different for other people. One should just be clear about it and then relax. 

As far as the financing goes, I had a terrible ordeal with my undergraduate debt from a US college, and from now on I hew firmly to the idea of having as much loose change in my pocket as possible. I would rather take a trip to either south africa or brazil, or either buy a car, or, in this terrible economy, gifts for my boss.

Edited by graduate2013

I probably might start looking for a place soon. I heard its best to avoid agents in Boston as they're pretty notorious with charges so best to start soon.

I might get a spreadsheet going on the Fletcher Facebook page to see who may be interested in finding roommates.

I probably might start looking for a place soon. I heard its best to avoid agents in Boston as they're pretty notorious with charges so best to start soon.

I might get a spreadsheet going on the Fletcher Facebook page to see who may be interested in finding roommates.

Totally interested! I was looking at on-campus housing as it seems cheaper than off-campus, but I don't know if I can go back to a dorm again. Also, I have a cat that is coming with me! 

Who's getting pumped about Fletcher? I'm excited about the program, the student body, and their generous aid package. Where else are Fletcher admits deciding between? Hope to see everyone in Somerville in the fall.

Hey MALD, I'm definitely getting pumped about Fletcher! 

I was a little disappointed when I got my rejection e-mail yesterday from SIPA, but the more I look into it, the more I think Fletcher is a better fit for me. 

The program seems demanding yet flexible, and attuned to students' ambitions. 

I was also admitted to Harris (Chicago) but I'm deciding to go with Tufts because the program is much more international and they're offering me scholarship. 

I'm trying to make up my mind on housing and I'm leaning towards the on-campus option. It's so cheap and convenient! Also, I'd get a real "college" experience (I've studied in France, so no campus).

I'm afraid it might get claustrophobic though. I mean living with the people you spend all your time with... What do you guys think? 

Hey MALD, I'm definitely getting pumped about Fletcher! 

I was a little disappointed when I got my rejection e-mail yesterday from SIPA, but the more I look into it, the more I think Fletcher is a better fit for me. 

The program seems demanding yet flexible, and attuned to students' ambitions. 

I was also admitted to Harris (Chicago) but I'm deciding to go with Tufts because the program is much more international and they're offering me scholarship. 

I'm trying to make up my mind on housing and I'm leaning towards the on-campus option. It's so cheap and convenient! Also, I'd get a real "college" experience (I've studied in France, so no campus).

I'm afraid it might get claustrophobic though. I mean living with the people you spend all your time with... What do you guys think? 

I visited the campus and had a few Fletcher friends and I've found it to be quite a bubble. A comfortable one nonetheless but I really don't want to have the 'college experience' all over again..I went to a very small liberal arts college so been there done that. Have to say though Fletcher students are a very supportive group 

Totally interested! I was looking at on-campus housing as it seems cheaper than off-campus, but I don't know if I can go back to a dorm again. Also, I have a cat that is coming with me! 

Sounds good! I'll make a post sometime this week to see who else may be interested.

I'm definitely Fletcher bound! I'm nervous for Boston winters, but I think it'll be a good change of scenary. I was trying to figure out if I wanted to live on or off campus, too, and a Fletcher rep told me that mostly international students live on campus (about 86 students total) while everyone else lives in the surrounding neighborhoods. My friend from Boston told me that all the young people live in Somerville, which is between downtown Boston and Fletcher. He said it has a great social scene...I think that lifestyle would be more suited to what I'm looking for. I don't want to be in a "bubble," but I don't want to be isolated either.

I have a cat, too! I hope it wont be hard to find pet friendly housing...especially since I also have a dog! :P

I'd be interested in a spreadsheet for housing/roommates too. I was looking at available rooms on Craigslist and was really surprised at the prices, they aren't as bad as I had expected. Dorm housing averages about $600/month over nine months, so I think I may be willing to pay a little more for a better space. Does anyone know what a reasonable public transportation budget might be? I think the smartest thing would be to get a bike if living in Somerville or Medford. I wonder how that would work in the winter though, I've never attempted to bike in the snow. Seems dangerous, possibly not even feasible.