Boren 2013-2014

djevojka

well let's hope that didn't burn me.

Nah, given that the response was specifying that the notification was via email and then mail, I'm guessing if anyone asked, it was non-forum people asking in what form the notifications come. And all of us already know that it's email. I'd be surprised if anyone there followed this--it would be an incredibly boring conversation for someone who already knows what's going on and when decisions are being made, it's only interesting to us because we're in limbo.

well let's hope that didn't burn me.

I don't think anyone on this thread has said anything out of line or anything that would cause great concern for the program.  Having been a recruiter for another organization for some years, there are fb threads for applicants....have to take the anxiety posts as part of the process.  I've seen some pretty golden posts out there which could cause great concern when I was a recruiter but everything on this thread has been very benign in my opinion.  =)  Hopefully the merit and contributions of our projects weigh more than comments threaded on here for solidarity and support.

To Scholarship applicants --

I'm looking at the Boren applicant spreadsheet for this forum, and out of the 8 scholarship applicants, I'm the only one that did not receive a Budget Correction Email from 3/11-3/15. However, I did receive a Dates Email (3/25) which asked for an update on both dates and budget. Which one is more important? I've been telling everyone I got the budget email and will be very sad and embarrassed if that is not the case  :unsure:

Edited by StyLeD

To Scholarship applicants --

I'm looking at the Boren applicant spreadsheet for this forum, and out of the 8 scholarship applicants, I'm the only one that did not receive a Budget Correction Email from 3/11-3/15. However, I did receive a Dates Email (3/25) which asked for an update on both dates and budget. Which one is more important? I've been telling everyone I got the budget email and will be very sad and embarrassed if that is not the case  :unsure:

As far as I know of, some other scholar applicants and I did not receive a budget correction email anytime from 3/11-3/15. We only received *the* budget email, which was sent out on 3/25 and included both an update to the budget and our start/end dates, but because when the spreadsheet was first created (and subsequently when many of the scholar applicants input their information) the dates at the top of the column were not there (creating confusion among us), so many scholar applicants decided that on the spreadsheet they would input that they had received both a budget and a dates email (even though in reality it was just one email that included both budget and date updates). In all honesty, this year has been kind of a mess, especially when deciding how to input data into the spreadsheet because scholarships did in fact have *the* budget email this year, where as fellowships did not, but instead received a dates email and some a budget correction email or week or so before the dates email. So yeah, I pretty much think that it's just that no one updated their information after the dates were entered into the top of the column, so the spreadsheet is somewhat misleading because now it technically is saying that scholar applicants received 2 emails when in reality it was one. No need to worry! You received the same email as us, so congrats!

The content in this year's budget update email for scholarships seemed nearly identical to previous years, so I would assume so, although it honestly anyone's guess. We'll found out soon enough :)

Hi all, just wanted to jump into this thread. I applied for a fellowship and received an email confirming the dates, early april, but no budget email. Fingers crossed for everyone. 

Hi all, just wanted to jump into this thread. I applied for a fellowship and received an email confirming the dates, early april, but no budget email. Fingers crossed for everyone. 
hey what program are you in at Gtown and what is your Boren proposal?

I just received an e-mail saying, "Thank you for your continued interest in the Boren Scholarship. After some review of your application our office has a few follow up questions."

They wanted clarification about something on my application. I'd say this is a good sign considering the announcements will be coming in a week? Maybe not and they're looking for people to weed out? I guess we'll see!

I just received an e-mail saying, "Thank you for your continued interest in the Boren Scholarship. After some review of your application our office has a few follow up questions."

They wanted clarification about something on my application. I'd say this is a good sign considering the announcements will be coming in a week? Maybe not and they're looking for people to weed out? I guess we'll see!

well what did they want clarification on? Budget or particulars about you project?

well what did they want clarification on? Budget or particulars about you project?

I accidentally checked that I would be participating in more than one overseas programs, when I meant that I would be at the same location for two semesters. They just wanted to clarify what I was doing since I only listed one program. 

Does anyone have thoughts on regional and/or country breakdowns?  Last year the top 6 countries were, with awarded fellowships in parentheses: China (15), Tanzania (10), Jordan (9), Indonesia (8), Egypt (7), India (7)...  That's 49 of the 119 awarded ... 

Just curious if anyone has hunches or has heard anecdotes.  For instance, including me, four on the spreadsheet applied to Southeast Europe (Balkans).  Boren only awarded one there last year ... and this year two of the four applicants received only the dates email, whlie the other two received the minor change and dates email.  I hope the four of us aren't competing against one another.  I would think that the quality of proposals broadly would be considered rather than a quota per region and/or country.  Trying to talk/type about something else instead of biting off finger nails. 

8 days to go...

Does anyone have thoughts on regional and/or country breakdowns?  Last year the top 6 countries were, with awarded fellowships in parentheses: China (15), Tanzania (10), Jordan (9), Indonesia (8), Egypt (7), India (7)...  That's 49 of the 119 awarded ... 

Just curious if anyone has hunches or has heard anecdotes.  For instance, including me, four on the spreadsheet applied to Southeast Europe (Balkans).  Boren only awarded one there last year ... and this year two of the four applicants received only the dates email, whlie the other two received the minor change and dates email.  I hope the four of us aren't competing against one another.  I would think that the quality of proposals broadly would be considered rather than a quota per region and/or country.  Trying to talk/type about something else instead of biting off finger nails. 

8 days to go...

i'm pretty sure tajikistan was the most applied-to country. tajikistan zinda bad!

Edited by shakazulu

8 days to go...

I either read on their website or heard on one of the webinars that Boren doesn't have country quotas like some other fellowships, like Fulbright.  So, the number of awards for a given country is based on applicants' interest in that country in a given year.  That being said, their website also says that the regional committees forward a set number of applications for their region onto the national committee...  I wouldn't say you're competing with other applicants in your chosen country, but perhaps in a sense with other applicants for your region during the application review by the regional committee.  If you've made it onto the national review committee (and let's hope the dates email indicates that), my guess is that you'd be competing at that point with the portion of the general applicant pool that also made it to nationals.  Fingers crossed!  

p.s.  Total tangent, but when as I wrote "nationals," I couldn't help but think of this... 

So how many f e l l o w s h i p. applicants have recieved a budget email (an email asking to clarify your budget,not dates)? I havent recieved one so I am pretty sure I am not getting in.

Thanks Queenskid.  I do remember that from the webinar too.  Obviously biased here, but here's hoping that the Balkans are highly (four for four of those on this forum!) represented this year.  It would be great to have some fellow fellows to meet and converse with abroad!