Boren 2013-2014

djevojka

I got a Boren Scholarship and most likely I'll be accepting. 

Do any other scholarship recipients know whether we're absolutely required to go to the convocation/orientation, and if so, does Boren pay for the trip? If it's not required then I'd just as soon not go. I mean, odds are that you'll never see the people you meet there ever again, and since people are going so many different places, the information they give has to be so generic and broad... 

I was listed as an alternate. Does anybody know the chances of alternates getting awards?  

Alternate as well here, for a fellowship in South Korea. I have other deadlines to work around, so if anyone in the region or country doesn't plan to accept the award a heads up would be SUPER appreciated  :wub:

Alternate status....pretty bummed since they put me through the stress of finding an alternative program for Zulu with less than a week to do so.  :(

I know it isn't over.  Hopefully the budget from UZ didn't scare them off.  But there are definitely a number of factors that contribute to this, I'm sure.  Well, nothing to do but wait.  I'm flying to South Africa tomorrow....perhaps this will turn around later on....

Congrats to everyone who received it.  Good luck!  :)

Haven't heard back yet (scholarship)...I've got a presentation in 2 hours and I hope I don't have to talk while worrying about results. Grats to everyone who heard back and got good news!

Alternate status....pretty bummed since they put me through the stress of finding an alternative program for Zulu with less than a week to do so.  :(

I know it isn't over.  Hopefully the budget from UZ didn't scare them off.  But there are definitely a number of factors that contribute to this, I'm sure.  Well, nothing to do but wait.  I'm flying to South Africa tomorrow....perhaps this will turn around later on....

that's some ridiculous bullshit. you worked your ass off and jumped through a lot of insane hoops. good luck, i hope it works out for you.

that's some ridiculous bullshit. you worked your ass off and jumped through a lot of insane hoops. good luck, i hope it works out for you.

Thank you Shakazulu...this is much appreciated.  I'll keep holding out for some miracle.  Trying to stay positive.  But dude, congrats on the fellowship!  Enjoy Tajikistan!  =)

I am so surprised! Hopefully it turns around and you are upgraded! You put in a whole lot of work and deserved it! 

I'm going to my country as well in about a month...hopefully I can find another way to stay  :)

I am so surprised! Hopefully it turns around and you are upgraded! You put in a whole lot of work and deserved it! 

I'm going to my country as well in about a month...hopefully I can find another way to stay  :)

Thank you so much Lauren2013...I'm pretty resourceful but this would have been a wonderful thing to have.  It ain't over but I'm thinking it's unlikely....apparently for alternates they try to match to the country...for instance, if someone turns it down for TZ, they try to replace with an alternate who also wanted to work in TZ.  It seems that there are not that many applicants for South Africa or perhaps Zulu....so there you go... :)

I got it! I'm going to South Korea in January! Anyone else going to S. Korea? Let's chat.

I am also going to South Korea, but it is for the scholarship (and starts the end of August).

Congrats everyone!

So I was rejected for the scholarship. Not alternate, just straight rejection.

The thing is, I totally got the budget email and had some further interaction with the Boren people in the weeks after. Anyone else get the budget email and not get anything? I mean, it's fine if they just changed the process and sent them out to everyone this year to avoid the 'unofficial finalist' thing they've had in years past, it just really sucks that I got my hopes up so high for an extra month when I could've started moving on back in March.