Boren 2013-2014

djevojka

I haven't heard anything yet... should I abandon hope?

"If you don't see our email in your inbox, please check spam." -- From Twitter

Whoa.  What happened to the spreadsheet?

Yeah, if whoever screwed up the sheet could not try and format it, that'd be helpful. And if you make an accidental error, remember to just hit command/control and Z at the same time to undo it.

I've got it somewhat back to normal, but there may be scholarship and fellowship people mixed up together.

If you're in the wrong section, just post a note in the 'correction column' at the bottom of the sheet and I'll move it.

Edited by cm125

Alternate! :) I'm so excited, just kidding. But seriously, congrats to everyone who did get it. Does anyone know when alternate decisions will be made?

I got it as well, fellowship for Bosnia! Congrats to all awardees! 

Congrats on your award!  Bosnia's a beautiful place.  I spent some time in Sarajevo and Mostar back in 2009 and wish I could go back.

Anyone have any info on alternates?  Do they allocate by region or country?

I received notification today that I got the scholarship.

I am anxious to know how much the scholarship is for. I of course really want to accept, especially because I want to work for the government, but how much I have to pay out of pocket is a factor for me. Does anyone know how often people get awarded the full scholarship?

So I was rejected for the scholarship. Not alternate, just straight rejection.

The thing is, I totally got the budget email and had some further interaction with the Boren people in the weeks after. Anyone else get the budget email and not get anything? I mean, it's fine if they just changed the process and sent them out to everyone this year to avoid the 'unofficial finalist' thing they've had in years past, it just really sucks that I got my hopes up so high for an extra month when I could've started moving on back in March.

The exact same thing happened to me!  I feel the same way, I tried so desperately not to get my hopes up and believed I had succeeded in doing that...Why do I feel so crushed?  Good luck finding another way to go overseas, if there is determination you will achieve it some way some how!  Best Wishes.

To everyone who got rejected: if you really want a Boren, don't give up! I applied for the scholarship as a 3rd year student but I was turned down.  However I reapplied this year for the fellowship with a better idea of how to make myself more competitive, and things worked out for me this time around. In retrospect, I'm happy the scholarship didn't work out because I am more passionate about the language and region I am studying now (Swahili, East Africa) than what I was doing several years ago (Zulu, South Africa).  Rejection sucked but it was a good learning experience for me and ended up helping me in the long run.

To everyone who got rejected: if you really want a Boren, don't give up! I applied for the scholarship as a 3rd year student but I was turned down.  However I reapplied this year for the fellowship with a better idea of how to make myself more competitive, and things worked out for me this time around. In retrospect, I'm happy the scholarship didn't work out because I am more passionate about the language and region I am studying now (Swahili, East Africa) than what I was doing several years ago (Zulu, South Africa).  Rejection sucked but it was a good learning experience for me and ended up helping me in the long run.

Thanks! Your comments reminds me there are still many more scholarships I can apply for! 

P.S.: For those of you who didn't win, how do you notify those who interviewed you and/or wrote you letters of recommendations? Thank you cards? Showing up in person and saying "Sorry I didn't get it"? Email? 

Edited by StyLeD

Is it just me or is the "Travel Policy" a bit... restrictive? I mean, I have a month-long break in between semesters, during which probably most of the people in the program will have returned home or will be traveling... am I really supposed to just sit there twiddling my thumbs until school starts again? 

Is it just me or is the "Travel Policy" a bit... restrictive? I mean, I have a month-long break in between semesters, during which probably most of the people in the program will have returned home or will be traveling... am I really supposed to just sit there twiddling my thumbs until school starts again? 

It does seem like it would be quite a hassle, however Boren is not saying that we are not allowed to travel at all; we must first just get their approval before going on any travel in which we plan to leave our host country.  I have a two month long winter break in which I plan to go to Taiwan to visit a friend, but the remaining time will likely be spent travelling around my own host country. I'm sure you'll find lots of things you will able to do!

So, are there any fellowship finalists who are thinking of turning down their awards?  Or, do you know of anyone who is opting not to accept it?

Are there people who received multiple awards who might turn the Boren down if they don't get the amount of funding they requested?

Just trying to get a sense of the chances for alternates to get bumped up...  

Is there anyone else with a deposit deadline due this week? What are you guys doing about it?

My program said that they will give me spot away if I don't send my deposit in on time even when I told them I'm waiting to find out how much scholarship money I get.

I hope official notice packets come tomorrow or I don't know what to do.

I'm in the security studies program and i'm looking to work on my Farsi in Tajikistan.

shakazulu, I'm in the biz school at GU.  Love to hear about your project if you want to shoot me a note - tcs33

Do we need to provide receipts for all costs? And, if you are able to get your university to defer dissertator tuition, can you retain that money from your budget to use elsewhere during the fellowship?

• 3 weeks later...

Have any alternates been notified that they have been bumped up?

I have not heard a peep and I kind of figure that by now everyone would have been notified.  You could try contacting them just to check.