How to approach the topic of asking for more funding?

Pinkman

Although I was hopeful I wouldnt need to be in this position, but I was wondering how you guys may approach the topic of asking for more aid from the schools who've admitted you. Obviously, schools have a certain limit in terms of the funding they provide but with so many students turning down good packages for more lucrative ones elsewhere, I imagine schools anticipate such requests.

Without sounding demanding or entitled, how would your broach the topic? Would it be appropriate to mention other offers for leverage?

I have some great offers but having done the math, I may still be a little short.

Would appreciate the advice!

for SAIS, i asked if there would be a second round of funding based on those who received it but decline to go.  they said no they actually have a metric they go off of that takes into account money offered and anticipated students that decline attendance.   for others, ill mention I got half scholarship from USC and to see if there was any extra funding available as I would not be able to attend there school without it.  

i think its all no big deal really.  if they say yes, then you are golden.  if not, no harm done.  

Negotiating is really standard. It doesn't make you look greedy. At least, if you're not totally clumsy or rude about it, it shouldn't make you look greedy. Most grad students are offered near poverty level salaries, so if you already have student loan debt, are supporting dependents, etc, it's completely reasonable to want to try for more. And it's also totally reasonable to factor funding into your decision, especially when you're deciding between two or more otherwise similarly appealing programs.

I'd say go for it.

Edited by Clay Made

I think it's important to frame it by starting off saying that you're thrilled to receive an offer from them. Then move into discussing funding; Funding is an important issue affecting your decision to come to School ABC and you have received competitive offers from other schools. You are particularly interested in the XYZ program at ABC but financial constraints affect your decision. It's also important to ask not only if they are able to offer additional funding, but also if there is any additional funding to which you would be able to apply. This confirms your interest in them (beyond just asking for more money) and there may well be options for you to apply to.

Good luck, and congrats on your offers!

So I'm waiting on hearing funding from Seton Hall.  The funding decisions are completely separate from admissions and you must apply separately.  Do you think if I explain how basically I would only attend there if I got a full ride I should say that?  Would they be more likely to hand me one of these RA fellowships?  I just hate coming off as a hard-baller when I'm grateful for just being accepted in the first place.

So I'm waiting on hearing funding from Seton Hall.  The funding decisions are completely separate from admissions and you must apply separately.  Do you think if I explain how basically I would only attend there if I got a full ride I should say that?  Would they be more likely to hand me one of these RA fellowships?  I just hate coming off as a hard-baller when I'm grateful for just being accepted in the first place.

I think its worth a shot. However, I would not quantify how much money you actually need. I think that approach is destined to fail. Be grateful and polite and you should be OK.

I negotiated an increase in my scholarship, and I did it as soon as possible. I had a bit of a unique situation because I retook the GREs right after I found out I had gotten in, and so I asked for an increase in aid given that my profile had just improved significantly. I called the admissions office and spoke to a secretary--I wanted to speak to an admissions officer but since they were still reviewing applications I wasn't able to be passed through. However, they actually had a form they emailed to me that they use for people who ask for an increase in funding--so it was clearly something they run into frequently.

If you have another offer you want to leverage, by all means do it. I wouldn't try to throw a bunch of offers out there, but pick the other biggest contender (assuming they're similar in respect to prestige/tier) and ask if they can raise their offer to make it more competitive with that one.

I would suggest asking sooner rather than later, and just calling the admissions office. Worst thing they do is get snippy and turn you down--they're not going to rescind your current offer. Just make sure to be gracious and humble!

Good luck!

I negotiated an increase in my scholarship, and I did it as soon as possible. I had a bit of a unique situation because I retook the GREs right after I found out I had gotten in, and so I asked for an increase in aid given that my profile had just improved significantly. I called the admissions office and spoke to a secretary--I wanted to speak to an admissions officer but since they were still reviewing applications I wasn't able to be passed through. However, they actually had a form they emailed to me that they use for people who ask for an increase in funding--so it was clearly something they run into frequently.

If you have another offer you want to leverage, by all means do it. I wouldn't try to throw a bunch of offers out there, but pick the other biggest contender (assuming they're similar in respect to prestige/tier) and ask if they can raise their offer to make it more competitive with that one.

I would suggest asking sooner rather than later, and just calling the admissions office. Worst thing they do is get snippy and turn you down--they're not going to rescind your current offer. Just make sure to be gracious and humble!

Good luck!

Thank you for the advice! Was this for CMU?

I just called SIS and they told me there isn't really a second round of funding or anything and merit-based scholarships aren't reconsidered.  I was talking to I believe a grad assistant and wanted to get on with another person but it was pretty difficult.  They did send me an email indicating:

Congratulations on your admissions to the School of International Service! We look forward to having you join our community this coming fall 2013 semester. We have an extremely limited number of scholarship and assistantship awards to offer to our outstanding applicants, making the awarding process extremely competitive. All SIS scholarships and assistantship awards are outlined in the admissions decision letter, so if you did not receive an award with your acceptance, we were unfortunately unable to offer you one.

So it looks like SIS doesn't really negotiate much, or at least not for somebody in my position.

So I just got off the phone with GWU Elliott. Apparently, they are very unlikely to reverse any decisions in relation to funding already made. However, they did say I or anyone else can write to them BEFORE APRIL 20TH explaining how increased funding will permit you to attend GWU Elliott over another school. I have significant funding from MSFS, Fletcher, UCSD and Harris so I definitely will give this a shot.

The letter needs to be addressed to the Director of Admissions, Jeff Miles.

Also, no TA positions are available for MA students, which is complete bullshit.

Edited by Pinkman