UCLA MSW 2013

msw650

I am also currently deciding between UCLA and UT. UT is a lot cheaper for me since I am a Texas resident... but UCLA's program seems amazing and a change of scenery seems like it would be a good thing. Just not sure if I would enjoy living in LA. What about the program interests you? What other schools are you seriously considering?

I submitted my SIR/SLR today so I've done just about all I can do on my part. Now it's just a matter of getting updates regarding orientation, course registration and field work.

I applied to three other programs in addition to UCLA and USC. At first I was honestly really hoping for USC but ultimately, I could not reconcile with the tuition cost. I'm at a point in my life right now where it's just not logical whatsoever to put myself in that much debt, as I'm sure is the case for many others. I'm passionate about this field and cannot imagine myself pursuing anything else, but we all know it's not a field we go into for the money. And that's fine. But not to the point that I'm going to burden myself, my parents and my future spouse/family for years to come. So that's one of the reasons I put aside wishful thinking for USC, which helped solidify my decision for UCLA. It's still a bit costly compared to two other programs I was accepted to, but thankfully not 80k.

As for what made UCLA hit home for me compared to those two programs, I think field placement and stipend opportunities, accreditation and concentration options were the most significant factors. It's also closest to where I live although the 405 freeway makes for a brutal commute. I'm anticipating having to wake up at some ungodly hours for the next two years but it's going to be worth it all and I am so excited!!

To be honest, I really wasn't looking too much into UCLA because I didn't think I would get it, so now it's time to do some research haha. I am hoping to specialize in health, preferably pediatric health, and I know that UCLA has connections/placements at some of the fabulous children's hospitals in the area, so that is one definite positive factor. 

I was also looking at USC, but also decided against it (for UCLA). Probably only true other consideration is SDSU (undergrad there now and love it)

Also up in the air! Stuck between BU and UCLA. UCLA's program looks pretty freaking sick tho...
I'm in the same boat... such a tough decision! In the next few weeks I'm going to be visiting BU and then UCLA for the welcome day and will hopefully have some clarity by the 4/15 deadline!!

I'm in the same boat... such a tough decision! In the next few weeks I'm going to be visiting BU and then UCLA for the welcome day and will hopefully have some clarity by the 4/15 deadline!!

Whaaat?? Haha I thought it was just me! 

I'm visiting UCLA next week to talk to an advisor and will be attending the welcome day as well! 

Why the dichotomy for you?

Whaaat?? Haha I thought it was just me!  I'm visiting UCLA next week to talk to an advisor and will be attending the welcome day as well!    Why the dichotomy for you?
Haha! No, you are not alone in your struggle to decide! For me, I'm having a hard choosing because I'm hoping to do the MSW/MPH program and I'm still waiting to hear from BU's school of public health. I managed to miss the deadline for UCLA's MPH program this time around so I would have to apply in the Fall. Once I have that figured out I think it will be easier to make a decision but its getting closer and closer to the 4/15 deadline! Are you leaning one way over the other at all?

Hi everyone, 

I am new to the forum but I have been following it for a while. 

I think I know for sure I will be attending UCLA in the fall for MSW but I just heard back from USC today and I got in!

Problem is I really did not think I was going to get accepted to UCLA so I was mentally preparing myself to hate the program and believe that USC is way better. 

Now the mighty Trojans vs Bruins struggle begins... I really don't know what to do...

Anyone set on attending UCLA yet? What were some of your reasons for picking UCLA?

I decided today on UCLA! Is anyone else going to the Welcome Day on the 11th?

I submitted my intent to register to UCLA today as well and RSVPed to the Welcome Day. msw650, I guess I will be seeing you on the 11th!  :lol:

Haha! No, you are not alone in your struggle to decide! For me, I'm having a hard choosing because I'm hoping to do the MSW/MPH program and I'm still waiting to hear from BU's school of public health. I managed to miss the deadline for UCLA's MPH program this time around so I would have to apply in the Fall. Once I have that figured out I think it will be easier to make a decision but its getting closer and closer to the 4/15 deadline! Are you leaning one way over the other at all?

Haha. I assumed I was alone in the BU/UCLA struggle...specifically. 

Oh that is a problem! If you got admitted into UCLA MSW then I would assume getting into their MPH would be easy if you have demonstrated that you already got accepted and especially if you do well in the MSW program this coming year. 

I think I'm leaning more towards UCLA. They offered me more money than BU and it's been my dream kid since I was a little kid. Also, I really like their macro track...which is what I got admitted to. The reason I am still holding onto BU as an option is because there are 3 professors there whose research interests me versus only 1 at UCLA. Hmm...I'm about 75% sure I'll end up at UCLA. 

What about you?

I got admitted for the Macro track. 

I am more interested in how policies and communities as a whole can help to better serve people's needs.

What about you msw650?

I got admitted to the Macro track as well! 

See you all on the Welcome Day!!! :D

What are you all doing about housing??!
I'm not sure if I should try for Graduate Student Housing or find a roommate and get a nearby apartment....

I need to start looking into this!! lol

I am still deciding on housing as well. I guess it would all depend on the field placement. If I can get one in the OC i'll just commute twice a week for classes and wake up REALLY early. If not, then I guess I'll get a place in West LA

@akasabbie I'm doing the micro track, want to work as a pediatric medical social worker.

Not too sure on housing yet haha, I just started looking at places around there

I got accepted to both BU and UCLA as well, and was at first very determined to go to BU. However I wanted to meet with both programs before making a final desicion so I set up meetings with admissions and the field education office at BU and with Lance at UCLA. After my meetings I had a completely different view of the two programs and I decided to go to with UCLA. The BU program seems great but I felt that UCLA was a much better fit with my expectations and interests. So you if you have the opportunity then take the time and spend the money on visiting both schools. Its definitely worth it. Graduate school is a huge investment and you will thank yourself later if you do everything you can now to make the best choice.

Good luck and maybe I will see you at UCLA this fall :)

Haha. I assumed I was alone in the BU/UCLA struggle...specifically. 

Oh that is a problem! If you got admitted into UCLA MSW then I would assume getting into their MPH would be easy if you have demonstrated that you already got accepted and especially if you do well in the MSW program this coming year. 

I think I'm leaning more towards UCLA. They offered me more money than BU and it's been my dream kid since I was a little kid. Also, I really like their macro track...which is what I got admitted to. The reason I am still holding onto BU as an option is because there are 3 professors there whose research interests me versus only 1 at UCLA. Hmm...I'm about 75% sure I'll end up at UCLA. 

What about you?

I got accepted to both BU and UCLA as well, and was at first very determined to go to BU. However I wanted to meet with both programs before making a final desicion so I set up meetings with admissions and the field education office at BU and with Lance at UCLA. After my meetings I had a completely different view of the two programs and I decided to go to with UCLA. The BU program seems great but I felt that UCLA was a much better fit with my expectations and interests. So you if you have the opportunity then take the time and spend the money on visiting both schools. Its definitely worth it. Graduate school is a huge investment and you will thank yourself later if you do everything you can now to make the best choice.

What made you decide on UCLA instead of BU?

I got accepted to both BU and UCLA as well, and was at first very determined to go to BU. However I wanted to meet with both programs before making a final desicion so I set up meetings with admissions and the field education office at BU and with Lance at UCLA. After my meetings I had a completely different view of the two programs and I decided to go to with UCLA. The BU program seems great but I felt that UCLA was a much better fit with my expectations and interests. So you if you have the opportunity then take the time and spend the money on visiting both schools. Its definitely worth it. Graduate school is a huge investment and you will thank yourself later if you do everything you can now to make the best choice.

Haha interesting! I am pretty set on UCLA. I just went to the welcome day and all of my questions/concerns were addressed. I'm flying out to Boston tonight to meet with BU juuuust in case. But I definitely think I'm leaning towards UCLA. What was your selling point for UCLA...or made you NOT choose BU...however you want to look at it?

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone received the email yet for the Placement Profile?

I have not received that email yet either (Placement Profile for Field Education), in fact I still have not received the SIR email from the grad division which seems odd.  Going to reach out to Lance (again) and I'm sure he'll tell me to be patient, that they're behind, etc.  I met with Tanya yesterday and she said the grad division is really lagging this year.