Florida State 2013

saul goodman esq

I'm headed to Tallahassee in August.  Who else?

Lived in Tampa a few months, but never been to Tallahassee.  No idea about the neighborhoods, etc.  Would appreciate any apartment recommendations!  (Need a place that allows cats, which makes things tougher.)

Hi!

I actually went there for a visit so can provide some info.

It is a relatively small town and is rural. I am not sure where you're from but for me it was quiet a shock. The campus is very nice big and has many amenities. But I would say that outside of the campus life there is not much. I found my department to  be very good. As far as the town goes there are some really good areas and some bad ones.

If you have any specific questions just ask...As I said I just went there for a visit but maybe I can help you out.

My daughter has been an undergrad there for three years with her dog. As for apartments, stick to the side of campus where the law school is. The other side of campus is near the stadium, gets really loud with lots of revelry, especially on game days and weekends. The apartment management company is on West Jefferson and they have a number of buildings, not all of them take pets. If the apartment they want to show you needs updating, telk them. They'll either take you to another one or update it before you move in. Definitel get that in writing. My daughter walks everywhere and has a friend with a car for when she wants to go grocery shopping. She also walks to downtown for some restaurants or in another direction for her favorite coffee house.

• 1 month later...

Finished my first year PhD there. You can find information about the city in the archive or (). Otherwise, feel free to PM me.

• 6 months later...

I'll be returning to FSU as a grad student (finished my undergrad there earlier this year) come this Spring 2014!

My favorite events/things to do on campus are FreeCon and Rocky Horror screenings, as well as International Coffee Hour and weekend film screenings at the SLC. The student cinema BFA/MFA showcases aren't too bad either. 

Whether or not Tallahassee is rural depends on where you're from originally. First time I visited as a teen I was awed, being from Podunk, Nowhere. Having become a bit more worldly and seen real cities now and again, Tally is a pretty small town. 

I'm headed to Tallahassee in August.  Who else?

Lived in Tampa a few months, but never been to Tallahassee.  No idea about the neighborhoods, etc.  Would appreciate any apartment recommendations!  (Need a place that allows cats, which makes things tougher.)

Tallahassee is overflowing with rental properties. There are affordable places all over. People will dissuade you from the southside, but I lived in the area with no problems and its closest to the schools. If you want to stay away from students, head further north. I'd stay south of I-10 if you plan to have a social life. You'll want to have a car no matter where you live. Not sure if youre a Floridian but it gets colder than Tampa so be ready.

Going without a car is actually quite manageable but more so if you live close to campus or on a bus route near campus - the public transportation system is an inefficient mess with overly long and rambling routes… which is all right if you want the three-hour scenic tour of random parts of Tallahassee and are willing to wake up early to catch the bus at your best convenience.

Too far north and you get more of a family area than a student area. 

Also, as per the Tallahassee thread the best bars and coffee shops are on or close to Gaines Street or Midtown.