History Grads. Odds of Getting In?

JacksonBaby

So,

I was curious if I could ask some of the Grad students and those who have finished some form of grad school what my odds are of entering a PH.D program from my current position.

I have taken an additional course every semester making my transcript more packed with history courses then the average. I attend a small liberal arts college with some reputable historians as faculty.

My cumulative GPA: 3.6

I am a double major in History and Environmental Science with a specialization in Environmental Policy

I wish to do U.S Environmental History with a focus on African Americans

History GPA: 3.9

Environmental GPA: 3.9

I have been on deans list nearly every time

President of multiple clubs

Huge community service hours and member of multiple honor societies including Sigma Xi

A peer reviewer/editor for 2 history journals

Will have 3 very strong letters of recommendation

Have an article that is to be published in the up coming months and 3 others under review

Currently conducting research for my environmental thesis which I intended to submit to a journal as well

Am beginning research on my history thesis this summer. I am a junior and will graduate on time. 

Ummm. so based on this do you think I have a shot at going from B.A + B.S to a PH.D program where the M.A is non-terminal? If not what could I work on or improve?! Thanks ever so much!

You have a 57% chance of a funded acceptance.

No, but seriously, that's all great... but your possibility of admission will depend more on the quality of your research, the fit between your research and the programs you apply to, and a considerable amount of luck. 

Don't take this the wrong way, but programs don't particularly care about what clubs lead, or your community service. Those can be absolutely great things to do for your own benefit as a human being, but don't feel as if you need to demonstrate those things when applying for history graduate programs. I know that lots of people go out of their way to perform service and do extracurriculars for the sake of their undergraduate applications, but this is a very different beast. If you're determined to do a Ph.D., focusing on improving your research rather than on participating in extracurriculars will be more helpful. 

Good luck.

Make sure your CV is solid. Include the articles you have submitted in a section called something like "Manuscripts in Preparation, Under Review and In Press." You can include your extracurriculars under a "Service" section but don't expect it to factor in. I have honor societies listed under "Professional Affiliations and Honor Societies" and list them with my AAG and AAA memberships. Again, it's information but it probably won't help.

Don't take this the wrong way, but programs don't particularly care about what clubs lead, or your community service. Those can be absolutely great things to do for your own benefit as a human being, but don't feel as if you need to demonstrate those things when applying for history graduate programs. I know that lots of people go out of their way to perform service and do extracurriculars for the sake of their undergraduate applications, but this is a very different beast. If you're determined to do a Ph.D., focusing on improving your research rather than on participating in extracurriculars will be more helpful. 

I agree that community service will not get you in alone, but it does show that you are a well rounded candidate and can be beneficial to your research. Before wanting to become an historian, I worked as a community organizer in the Bronx for three years. I also do community outreach as a volunteer here in L.A. Since one of my sub-fileds in ethnic history, I have found this experience to be highly beneficial. Despite being as white as they come, I find that people in minority communities trust me and willing to work with me a lot more than just some random researcher. Like I said, this will not get me into grad school alone, but it does give me a very tiny advantage compared to someone who hasn't had this experience. 

Thanks everybody for the comments. Simple Twist especially, thank you for being honest and to the point.

JMU mentioned placing manuscripts under review in the C.V. Is it right to list reviews that have been published in journals, or reviews that have been submitted to journals?

Also, do you think it is wise to join the AHA yet or should that be something I hold off on? I use their resources all the time and just have not been sure if I should join or not.

but it does give me a very tiny advantage compared to someone who hasn't had this experience. 

^^^ That is what I was thinking Crazy Cat.

Also, in regards to the CV how much in the way of experience do you list. I was a program manager for a little outreach group for two years and was not sure if they should be listed anywhere on the C.V

I have worked on several farms (that is most likely irrelevant) and also have been a tutor for a few different subjects for the College such as Math and Physics. Should I still put these unrelated things on the C.V or should I only put on things that are related to academia?

Thank you all so much for the help!

Thanks everybody for the comments. Simple Twist especially, thank you for being honest and to the point.

JMU mentioned placing manuscripts under review in the C.V. Is it right to list reviews that have been published in journals, or reviews that have been submitted to journals?

Also, do you think it is wise to join the AHA yet or should that be something I hold off on? I use their resources all the time and just have not been sure if I should join or not.

^^^ That is what I was thinking Crazy Cat.

Most CVs have a section for published book reviews. I wouldn't include any that aren't already published as they don't usually take as long to go through. Edited by jmu

As for joining AHA, I joined AAG and AAA because they offer cheap undergraduate memberships. If it's cost prohibitive I wouldn't but it's not a bad idea to join.

You have book reviews (being) published in journals? Do you have an adviser who thought this was a good idea?

For the journals that a peer-review that ask each peer-reviewer to submit a book review to the journal as well,, and in doing so was able to get one through - much to my surprise in fact

For the journals that a peer-review that ask each peer-reviewer to submit a book review to the journal as well,, and in doing so was able to get one through - much to my surprise in fact

That's not really what I was asking. I have been actively discouraged by multiple professors from doing any book reviews before tenure.

The only risk of reviewing early in your career is that search committees might notice them and ask you about them long, long after you've submitted the review.  So it is worth skimming through your review and the book before you go on the market to update yourself.

It's okay to be quite selective of which books you will review as a graduate student.  Professors pick and choose all the time.  It might also be field dependent.  My department and mentors encourage early professionalization, and that includes book reviews.

The only risk of reviewing early in your career is that search committees might notice them and ask you about them long, long after you've submitted the review.  So it is worth skimming through your review and the book before you go on the market to update yourself.

It's okay to be quite selective of which books you will review as a graduate student.  Professors pick and choose all the time.  It might also be field dependent.  My department and mentors encourage early professionalization, and that includes book reviews.

I was told that the risk to your career was a professor you took to task being on your search and/or tenure committee. 

Edited by telkanuru