ASHA requirements - physical science

I feel like the quant methods class is likely fine as long as the course description includes statistics.

That's what concerns me - the course description is "Quantitative methods used in psychological research. Regular exercises required. One semester of college-level mathematics recommended." so I'm a little worried. We used a textbook called "Behavioral Statistics in Simple English" though and basically went over every common statistical method (calculating confidence intervals to doing ANOVA tests) so it really should be categorized as a statistics class.

That's what concerns me - the course description is "Quantitative methods used in psychological research. Regular exercises required. One semester of college-level mathematics recommended." so I'm a little worried. We used a textbook called "Behavioral Statistics in Simple English" though and basically went over every common statistical method (calculating confidence intervals to doing ANOVA tests) so it really should be categorized as a statistics class.

It might help if you can get the syllabus from that course just in case you need to show someone that the content was mostly stats.

Do you think taking a Coursera Chem or Physics class could count for the credit?

I really doubt it. I love Coursera, but their courses are not for credit, even if you receive a certificate of completion. I assume these pre-reqs need to be fulfilled through accredited institutions.

ETA: I'm personally not comfortable taking non-credit courses to meet these requirements even if I haven't received any concrete information that they need to be for credit.

Edited by midnight streetlight

hi everyone! 

I emailed ASHA about this specific thing here is my email: 

Hi, I am a future graduate Speech-Language Pathology student. In my undergraduate career I took Astronomy and it was listed as a physical science for my university. Due to the 2014 SLP ASHA changes, does this still fulfill my physical science requirement? Thank you.

This is what their response was: 

Thank you for contacting ASHA's Action Center. Individual graduate programs will determine which courses are acceptable in biological science, physical science, mathematics, and social/behavioral sciences. The CFCC believes that the individual graduate programs are best equipped to make the assessment as to whether or not specific courses will best serve as providing appropriate and adequate pre-requisite skills and knowledge.

So basically I would contact your individual programs.

Good luck!

hi everyone! 

I emailed ASHA about this specific thing here is my email: 

Hi, I am a future graduate Speech-Language Pathology student. In my undergraduate career I took Astronomy and it was listed as a physical science for my university. Due to the 2014 SLP ASHA changes, does this still fulfill my physical science requirement? Thank you.

This is what their response was: 

Thank you for contacting ASHA's Action Center. Individual graduate programs will determine which courses are acceptable in biological science, physical science, mathematics, and social/behavioral sciences. The CFCC believes that the individual graduate programs are best equipped to make the assessment as to whether or not specific courses will best serve as providing appropriate and adequate pre-requisite skills and knowledge.

So basically I would contact your individual programs.

Good luck!

Great job Dejmek1, thanks!

I decided to take General Chemistry online through a community college and having an incredibly tough time with it (4 hour with lab). This is the second time I'm taking it, last time I recieved a W before the deadline because I found it so tough. Does anyone know If I were to drop Chemistry and take it at a later date, would it look bad to the Admissions committee if I take the course after acceptance (if I were to be accepted) or since I have already attempted it i would have to finish it before I applied to the program.

Hope someone can help! So confused on what to do. I am taking this course outside of my 2nd bachelors degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders.

tankgirl, I would check with your prospective programs.  Admissions Committees may wonder why you enrolled in the same course twice without being able to complete it.  Since you are earning a second bachelors, did you take a physical science course to fulfill the degree requirements?

My university advisor told me each student was responsible to know his/her deficiencies when entering the program and either complete them before starting the Master's program or in conjunction with the Master's coursework.

Thanks for responding lexical_gap. I am taking a physical science outside the 2nd bachelors to fulfil only ASHA requirements . I should have waited but you're right, it would look silly to drop it again because that could be looked at negatively by Admissions. I'm at a B+/A- right now but i'm just worried that if I do get a lower grade then Grad schools will not look at that as a favorable part of my application.

tankgirl, have you already applied for graduate school or will you be applying next application cycle (with the intent of starting Fall 2014)?

In either case, if you're at a B+ / A- cutoff, I would say just finish the class.  You've already more than halfway through the semester and the grade isn't a bad one.  Admissions committees realize students take courses outside of the major to fulfill Gen Eds, many of which can be difficult and challenging in their own right.  I highly doubt professors weighing in on grad school admissions programs are saying, "He/she only got a B+ in chemistry?  Pfft... They'll be a horrible clinician since everybody knows you need at least an A- in chemistry to be a good SLP!"

I know a lot of emphasis is put on GPA and GRE on these boards, but the numerical data isn't everything.  Just as you are "auditioning" grad schools for fit, education, and training opportunities; the grad schools are "auditioning" you as an applicant.  The relationships are reciprocal.  If you accept an admission offer, they're stuck with you for the next two years of their lives too!

tankgirl, have you already applied for graduate school or will you be applying next application cycle (with the intent of starting Fall 2014)?

In either case, if you're at a B+ / A- cutoff, I would say just finish the class.  You've already more than halfway through the semester and the grade isn't a bad one.  Admissions committees realize students take courses outside of the major to fulfill Gen Eds, many of which can be difficult and challenging in their own right.  I highly doubt professors weighing in on grad school admissions programs are saying, "He/she only got a B+ in chemistry?  Pfft... They'll be a horrible clinician since everybody knows you need at least an A- in chemistry to be a good SLP!"

I know a lot of emphasis is put on GPA and GRE on these boards, but the numerical data isn't everything.  Just as you are "auditioning" grad schools for fit, education, and training opportunities; the grad schools are "auditioning" you as an applicant.  The relationships are reciprocal.  If you accept an admission offer, they're stuck with you for the next two years of their lives too!

True, I think the only thing i'm worried about is that they will calculate this General Ed course part of my 2nd bachelors GPA. I doubt they will, but you never know.

I know a lot of people are taking Chemistry/Physics as part of their Grad curriculum because of the new ASHA regulations. It just sucks because i'm still trying to get in. 

This is my 2nd year applying lexical_gap and i've already been rejected to one graduate program so I guess I've started panicking because of this course and my rejection. Still waiting on more schools. :/

Admissions committees might factor it into your GPA.  But as I said, the GPA and GRE are just two components of an application.  The others: LOR, SOP, extracurriculars, resume, research experiences, etc. are just as important- if not more.  The GPA and GRE tells of your ability as a student, but the rest speak to who you are as a person.

As I mentioned, most programs are looking for more than the best academic students.  They want the best overall for their program.  Admissions committees look at how well they will get along with you just as you look at how you will get along with them.

An applicant could thereotically have a 4.0 in the major and a 340 GRE with a 6.0 AW score.  However, if every LOR mentions that the applicant has no people skills and is a pain to work with, I doubt that applicant would be offered admission.

With regard to your chemistry course, I would say finish the course.  From a financial standpoint, why pay graduate tuition rate for an undergrad course?  From an admission committee standpoint, it could also be seen as taking initiative to fulfill the new ASHA requirements before starting the program.  You just never know.

Edited by lexical_gap

Admissions committees might factor it into your GPA.  But as I said, the GPA and GRE are just two components of an application.  The others: LOR, SOP, extracurriculars, resume, research experiences, etc. are just as important- if not more.  The GPA and GRE tells of your ability as a student, but the rest speak to who you are as a person.

As I mentioned, most programs are looking for more than the best academic students.  They want the best overall for their program.  Admissions committees look at how well they will get along with you just as you look at how you will get along with them.

An applicant could theroetically have a 4.0 in the major and a 340 GRE with a 6.0 AW score.  However, if every LOR mentions that the applicant has no people skills and is a pain to work with, I doubt that applicant would be offered admission.

With regard to your chemistry course, I would say finish the course.  From a financial standpoint, why pay graduate tuition rate for an undergrad course?  From an admission committee standpoint, it could also be seen as taking initiative to fulfill the new ASHA requirements before starting the program.  You just never know.

That's very true. Thanks for your advice, it gave me some perspective. Congrats on your acceptance to UW-Milwaukee! :)

I wouldn't worry about the course name. Quantitative methods basically means statistics, and it's not at all uncommon for schools to name their intro stats courses that way. Like someone else suggested, it's always a good idea to save ALL your syllabi, but I'd be really surprised if schools had a problem with this course name.

My advice is to take a physics or chem class as soon as you can! I have friends who took astronomy/geology and are now having to take the extra class in top of their graduate classes/clinic. I ended up doing intro to physics online for pass/no pass. I think as long as something says on phys/chem on your transcript that's all that matters!
I am looking for an online phys or chem course, I too took astronomy and will need to take another. Could you tell me which school offers the online pass/fail intro course. I have no background in physics or chemistry and I'm a little worried. Thanks

Hey! I'm a first year grad student so im way too familiar with asha's changes. Asha just changed the physical science requirements this year to a chemistry or physics class if you become certified after September 1 2014, which if you're going to start this fall you will be. But fortunately they don't specify the credit amount the class has to be or if it has to be graded or not so I have a few classmates who are taking a one credit chemistry seminar that is just pass/no pass.
I would be very Interested in a one credit chemistry seminar, but this sounds like it is on campus? Would you mind sharing if this is available online? Thanks

Does anyone know of any cheap community colleges that offer online courses that might fulfill these requirements? As I mentioned, I need a chem or physics course. I found this one place called Clovis Community College that offers really cheap online courses but they only have chemistry this summer and it's 4 credit hours with a lab. I was hoping to find one without a lab...

Does anyone know of any cheap community colleges that offer online courses that might fulfill these requirements? As I mentioned, I need a chem or physics course. I found this one place called Clovis Community College that offers really cheap online courses but they only have chemistry this summer and it's 4 credit hours with a lab. I was hoping to find one without a lab...

I'm registered at a small, cheap school called Nevada State College where I did my post-bacc that is offering a 3 credit, online, non-lab chemistry class called Chemistry, Man, And Society.  Total cost is less than $500.    

hmmmm I'm glad I saw this. I am about to finish up my first year of grad school and don't have a physics or chemistry class. I DO have a physical science (it was listed as natural science at my undergrad) that I made painstakingly sure was covered under ASHAs old policies. My grad advisor has not mentioned the fact that it may not count (in fact as far as I know everyone in my program is under the impression that if we met the ASHA requirements that were in place when we applied we would be okay). I will have to email ASHA (as it seems as if people are getting different answers) and talk to my advisor but if I have to take another course I am going to be pretty upset. I took this other class specifically because it met the Standard IV-A requirement (I needed a sci to graduate as part of my core but took this one because it was easier than chem or physics (but had a lab) and counted as a physical science in face I WAS going to take a physics class but it didn't fit in my schedule!). I understand ASHAs reasoning behind changing but they really should  grandfather in classes that would have counted under the prior standards IF the student is enrolled in a grad program and/or make it effective in 2016 so that people who aren't in graduate programs are the only ones affected (or even 2015 but I know that would technically affect all of you but as you haven't started grad level classes yet...). I have two bachelors degrees and have met all other Standard IV-A requirements. Not cool ASHA. Not cool. Who did everyone email? 

I'm really frustrated to hear that they have changed their requirements. Like a lot of people on here, I took an astronomy course (which does have a physics prefix) and was under the impression it would count. I guess I need to contact the grad school I'll be attending and find out whether or not mine will be enough... I guess I just don't understand why ASHA is so concerned about which physical science course we take!

hmmmm I'm glad I saw this. I am about to finish up my first year of grad school and don't have a physics or chemistry class. I DO have a physical science (it was listed as natural science at my undergrad) that I made painstakingly sure was covered under ASHAs old policies. My grad advisor has not mentioned the fact that it may not count (in fact as far as I know everyone in my program is under the impression that if we met the ASHA requirements that were in place when we applied we would be okay). I will have to email ASHA (as it seems as if people are getting different answers) and talk to my advisor but if I have to take another course I am going to be pretty upset. I took this other class specifically because it met the Standard IV-A requirement (I needed a sci to graduate as part of my core but took this one because it was easier than chem or physics (but had a lab) and counted as a physical science in face I WAS going to take a physics class but it didn't fit in my schedule!). I understand ASHAs reasoning behind changing but they really should  grandfather in classes that would have counted under the prior standards IF the student is enrolled in a grad program and/or make it effective in 2016 so that people who aren't in graduate programs are the only ones affected (or even 2015 but I know that would technically affect all of you but as you haven't started grad level classes yet...). I have two bachelors degrees and have met all other Standard IV-A requirements. Not cool ASHA. Not cool. Who did everyone email? 

If you are in the spring class of 2014, you are supposed to be okay with ASHA's old requirements. I was told that this change was for fall 2013 entry, and class of 2014 winter or spring class of 2015 and onwards at the UNC Chapel Hill info session I'm the fall. Your department advisor is probably the best resource on this since everyone knows ASHA is changing the requirements. I don't know who everyone contacted at ASHA, but I guess an email to double check couldn't hurt. :-)

I am just starting the grad program in September, 2013, so the new changes will affect me.  I am under the same impression as the poster above.  The school is the ultimate decider, but they use the rules that are in effect based on when you are graduating. They have more flexibility as long as you are graduating prior to changes going into effect Sept, 2014.  

"Your university is the ultimate decider on the physical science course. So if it is accepted by your school/program director for the physical science requirement for ASHA, then it will be accepted by ASHA."

Sheree A. Price
Certification Case Manager
American Speech-Language Hearing Association
2200 Research Boulevard, #313
Rockville, MD 20850-3289
301-296-8569 (fax)
(800) 498-2071
certification@asha.org
http://www.asha.org

To kind of echo what other people are saying here, I called my program director the other day because I was worried about my astronomy course counting. She told me ASHA has kind of backed off and now "suggests" that your credit comes from physics or chemistry but that your school ultimately makes the decision. Mine is going to count towards the requirement. So if you're not sure - just call your program :)

• 2 years later...

For what it's worth, here is what I've found out.

Writing ASHA usually receives a response directing you to your institution. However, in a post above, ASHA did clarify a lab is not required for either the Chem or Physics class.

So the best bet is to just check with your university advisor. ASHA provides accredidation to your university, so they go with what your advisor ok's. But each advisor will ok only what they feel 100% safe ok'ing.

At my institution I had the unique experience of having first one then another advisor. For me, both advisors did not accept a Coursera stats course I took for free/no credit, even though it was taught by a professor from Duke University and was WAY TOUGHER than the subsequent one I took at a local community college online. So, personally I wouldn't advise Coursera, though I love their courses. This was because it was not for credit, so it can't appear on my official transcript.

For my physical sciences requirement, my second advisor is allowing his advisees to take a Geology course. I've googled tons of schools, counted the tuition/fees/registration/textbooks and found most Geology courses are $700 and up. Even my local community college wants $700 for a 4 credit Physics course, the only online course in my county that can satisfy the physical sciences requirement.

So now I've found a 2 credit Physics course at a community college in a neighboring county for $526 not including textbook (no info). Since ASHA doesn't say it has to be a 3 credit course, and usually defers to adivsors, I'm going to ask him if this will work. For me, 2 credits of Physics beat 3 to 4 credits of Geology!

By the way, I'm in my second to last semester before graduation, and I do wish I'd been on the ball and completed these courses in my first 2 much easier semesters of grad school!

Good luck to all of us!

Edited by Anet

1 hour ago, Anet said:

For what it's worth, here is what I've found out.

Writing ASHA usually receives a response directing you to your institution. However, in a post above, ASHA did clarify a lab is not required for either the Chem or Physics class.

So the best bet is to just check with your university advisor. ASHA provides accredidation to your university, so they go with what your advisor ok's. But each advisor will ok only what they feel 100% safe ok'ing.

At my institution I had the unique experience of having first one then another advisor. For me, both advisors did not accept a Coursera stats course I took for free/no credit, even though it was taught by a professor from Duke University and was WAY TOUGHER than the subsequent one I took at a local community college online. So, personally I wouldn't advise Coursera, though I love their courses. This was because it was not for credit, so it can't appear on my official transcript.

For my physical sciences requirement, my second advisor is allowing his advisees to take a Geology course. I've googled tons of schools, counted the tuition/fees/registration/textbooks and found most Geology courses are $700 and up. Even my local community college wants $700 for a 4 credit Physics course, the only online course in my county that can satisfy the physical sciences requirement.

So now I've found a 2 credit Physics course at a community college in a neighboring county for $526 not including textbook (no info). Since ASHA doesn't say it has to be a 3 credit course, and usually defers to adivsors, I'm going to ask him if this will work. For me, 2 credits of Physics beat 3 to 4 credits of Geology!

By the way, I'm in my second to last semester before graduation, and I do wish I'd been on the ball and completed these courses in my first 2 much easier semesters of grad school!

Good luck to all of us!

Adding on to this, I took Astronomy at my undergrad for physics credit, and my grad school initially wouldn't accept the credits for physical science. However, when I provided a syllabus, it was evaluated as comparable for physics credit, so make sure to keep your syllabi from the science courses to argue for credit :).