Georgia Tech Fall 2013

trueblue13

Its getting more and more likely that I am heading to Georgia Tech for the PhD Robotics program in fall 2013. Anyone else here heading to tech? What are people doing for housing?

Edited by trueblue13

I'm a current Tech undergrad, and strongly considering staying here for a masters. On campus housing is decent (was good enough for the 1996 Olympic athletes), but its a sort of rip-off cost wise (~$4k/semester). If you do rent an off campus apartment, make sure its in a safe area.

I'm going to Georgia State for a Ph.D in Neuroscience.  Looking for housing in surrounding areas at the moment.  Buckhad and Decatur are my current best options, but I might be expanding that list. 

I'm heading to Georgia Tech this Fall and I'm excited about it!!! Any suggestions/comments about housing (i'm considering an off campus apartment), life in Atlanta, or anything else?

I'm heading to Georgia Tech this Fall and I'm excited about it!!! Any suggestions/comments about housing (i'm considering an off campus apartment), life in Atlanta, or anything else?

My understanding is that everythign is broken up by neighborhoods and each one has its own positives and negatives.  Figure out whether you like high end clubbing, lower end trendy restaraunts / hangout spots, super cheap living arraignments, or neighborhood safety.  As a future student of Georgia State I'm looking at Buckhead because of the nightlife (clubs, bars, restaraunts, kayaking scenes, etc, and easy access to the MARTA lines as well as overall a safe neighborhood.  Still a 10-15 min train ride into the city center (downtown).  But I think Georgia Tech is actually farther north than State, so it might be like a 5 min ride from Buckhead. 

Then again I'm only going by research and hear say from people I've talked to. Someone who lives there might be more informed.  Decatur is a nice area too.

• 2 weeks later...

Just accepted my offer from GaTech! 

I'm planning on living on campus the first year, as I don't have the time or money to go to Atlanta and search around... also hoping to be in an environment with a lot of other like minded people.

Anyone looking for a new acquaintance/friend? :)

I haven't lived in Atlanta before, but when I visited, many people said that living without a car is possible; they have a tech trolley and other various transportation that takes you across campus.

I heard decent things about on campus grad housing (anyone agree/disagree?), which may be a good option for those without a car.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, guys.  I've been at Tech since Spring of last year doing my MSME.  I finish this fall.  Overall, Atlanta is ok.  Not a city I can fall in love with, but definitely not the craphole people tried to convince me it was.  The weather is a definite plus.

I dunno, living without a car in Atlanta would be a bit of a hassle if you plan on going places away from campus.  I live right beside Piedmont Park (which is an awesome park, btw) and I can walk to campus, but usually just walk down to Midtown MARTA station and take the Tech Trolley to campus.  Otherwise, you probably will need a car to get to places where there isn't a MARTA stop.

I am glad I chose Tech for my MS.  The campus is beautiful and there are so many interesting projects going on in all the labs and many student build projects if that tickles your fancy more than research.  The school is definitely socially focused on its engineering student body so if you're a nerd or even a nerd at heart, you'll love going to school here.  

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

I'm finding an off-campus apartment around Gatech to live in this fall semester. Until now my two favorite choices are Tenside and Alexander on Ponce. Could someone let me know if I can go to school by bicycle from these two places? And if anybody knows please let me know about the safety around these places.

I appreciate any suggestion/comment. 

Thanks. 

Hi everybody,

I'm finding an off-campus apartment around Gatech to live in this fall semester. Until now my two favorite choices are Tenside and Alexander on Ponce. Could someone let me know if I can go to school by bicycle from these two places? And if anybody knows please let me know about the safety around these places.

I appreciate any suggestion/comment. 

Thanks. 

I have a couple of friends that used to live at tivoli tenside. The place is awesome and it's definitely close enough to campus to bike. I don't know much about alexander on ponce, but I know where it is. I don't really like the area. Tenside feels pretty safe, although it is closer to home park, and I think there was a shooting there a few years ago. If you live on ponce you'll be closer to restaurants and bars and stuff, but tenside is near a few good places. Ormsbys is particularly awesome. But anyways, I may be biased since I've been to tenside often and have never been to alexander on ponce.