UIUC ECE vs UCLA CS

haobaobao34

I have got admits from UIUC ECE and UCLA CS for phd both with aid. My research focus at UIUC will be CAD and the other will be computer architecture. I didn't manage to visit them as I am from China.

Could you guy help deliberate which one is a better choice, considering the research focus, school and city?

I have got admits from UIUC ECE and UCLA CS for phd both with aid. My research focus at UIUC will be CAD and the other will be computer architecture. I didn't manage to visit them as I am from China.

Could you guy help deliberate which one is a better choice, considering the research focus, school and city?

For a PhD, both are similar in reputation. You should decide based on who has been assigned as your advisor (or has agreed to take you as a student) at both places in my opinion as you have been offered aid. You should see who is a better research fit for you.

I think the city and all other things are secondary and you should look at these only if you have a tie in deciding between advisors.

Have you visited either school? I would say it is not just a matter of which adviser might seem better to you on paper, but actually talking to both students and faculty that are currently in the program to get a better impression. I am currently a UIUC student myself actually (though not currently in CS or ECE) and can certainly say that I was initially planning on staying here for my Masters, but after visiting another school that accepted me, I was honestly blown away by the quality of the program there in comparison, and of course my POI's research interests matched mine very well. There is probably very little time left to schedule a visit, but I would make every effort to do so if you can, especially if either program is willing to fund your trip.