Missing a week in this first month

sdt13

About 2 years ago I attended an international conference that I found to be one of the most beneficial since it was really aligned with my research interests. My undergrad advisor and I have been talking about attending this conference for the past year, but we recently found out it will be held in Singapore in September.

I will be starting a PhD program in the fall and so I was wondering how my absence would be viewed if I were to attend (the trip would be a week)? My undergrad advisor thinks I shouldn't go so that I don't miss out on important lab/professor/student bonding opportunities. However, I also do not want to miss out on a chance to meet up with international colleagues that I only see at conferences (and this particular conference is bi-annual). Thoughts?

The person whose opinion is important is your new PhD advisor, not the undergrad advisor. Ask that person. Depending on the week, you might not miss much. 

Totally agree, you should ask your new advisor what he/she thinks.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm holding out for my top choice to find funding, which is making this difficult. At this rate I may not hear back until closer to the April 15th deadline and I will need to submit my proposal before then.

I think I am just going to submit my presentation and if my new advisor objects, I will just withdraw.

Ask the new adviser or better yet skip the trip. I once planned a short international trip over what I assumed was a short school break. Trip was booked about 3 months before school started. Schedule shifted and I had finals that week in my M.A. program at the time. The professors cut me some slack me but one turned around and said "You need to check your schedule and not go away when there are classes and tests. Not everyone will let you take the test early, they'll just tell you to take the test when they give it or miss it and fail." She let me test early but what she said stuck with me a lot. 

Also I believe the first week usually also has orientations, mandatory meetings, and presentations. At least my doctoral program I'm starting in the fall does.