Final Decisions 2013!

sfh09

So I don't know if we actually need this thread but I'm excited and wanted to make it.

I'm for sure going to (staying at) Michigan!  I had actually decided about a week ago but then, just prior to visiting days, I had a bit of panic about whether I was making the right choice.  Luckily, the last three days were extremely affirming and I'm fairly certain I'm going in the right direction for me  :) .  So, they know I'm coming and Wayne and Pittsburgh know I'm not.

Has anyone else decided?

Congrats on your admission and acceptance of the program.  I am leaning toward UW, but then again UIUC is calling my name. Both programs are very good and I am utterly confused. However, the more personable nature of UW might be the winning point for me.  I'll give it another week and make my final decision then.

I'm leaning toward UNC, but Simmons and Iowa are both contenders still. I think I can comfortably turn down UMD, Drexel, and Arizona at this point.

Money is the biggest issue, as I'm sure it is for many of you as well. I already have student loan debt from undergrad, so I am wary of taking on the huge loans that would be required by pretty much any of these schools. I applied to UMD and UNC not knowing that they had chosen to opt-out of the Academic Common Market program, which means that I can no longer get in-state tuition at either of them. I don't know if I would have heard by now or not regarding funding at Simmons or UNC, but I'm going to have to make my decision pretty soon!

If I get no grant money anywhere, I will probably choose UNC, defer for a year, and try to move to the Chapel Hill/Durham area as soon as possible, so that maybe by the time my second semester of enrollment comes around, I'll qualify for in-state tuition.

I like Iowa a lot, even though I know it is not as prestigious as UNC or Simmons, and I did apply for a GAship there. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll know about that before I have to tell them whether or not I'm attending!

I've decided upon University of Washington. I'm kind of in the same boat as Grimm101... I'd eliminated UNC (out-state-tuition is insane) and CUNY Queens (several negative encounters with them through the application process). I'm more drawn to Seattle than Urbana-Champaign as an area - for one, I'd prefer not to have a car. I also got a very nice personal call from the program chair at UW, and haven't really seen any such gestures from UIUC. Thus, I've decided to commit fully to UW, even if neither school has given financial info yet - I doubt I'll get much funding beyond loans from either school.

I'm heavily leaning towards UW. I too was called by someone in the office (I cannot remember her name for the life of me), which was such a nice, personal touch. I also really like the program offerings. I just get so excited thinking about going there (online, but I will move to Seattle).

I paid my enrollment deposit on the second day of my CUA campus visit. They were my first choice throughout this entire process, and I am so glad that I am officially enrolled. :D

I notified UMD by email & snail mail that I declined their acceptance. It was quite hard, considering that I had just visited their campus (on my dime, not theirs) and met a few members of the iSchool dept, but I tried to be as diplomatic and thankful as possible. I plan on staying in the DC area after graduating, so I disn't want to potentially rule myself out as a future employee by not acknowledging their kindness.

I'm feeling conflicted at the moment. I'm leaning towards Pitt, and have been awarded a Partners position, but I still haven't heard about funding. Received an email yesterday reminding me to make my decision (though they stated earlier that no one would be required to accept until they heard). And now, I'm interviewing for a job related to my current master's which (if I got it) would mean I'd have to switch to part-time, and probably the online program. So many hypotheticals going around in my head right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I officially decided on the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. I found out yesterday that I was awarded the scholarship I applied for that pays for tuition and student fees and provides a stipend. This is the best offer that I've had so I am going to go for it.

I officially decided on Maryland a week or so ago and today got an email from IUPUI saying I received funding there. I won't be going but hopefully that means that someone else can get it!