Texas State

Called yesterday.  Everyone who didn't get in the first time around is on a waitlist pending declines.  They have a ranking system, so your number could be anywhere from 35-500+.

I'm curious to find people who got in.  I've already decided on UT Austin, but I'd be interested to know how they choose their candidates, considering UT is ranked so much higher.

Got accepted to Texas State via email April 5th,, so backup in place...now keeping my fingers crossed to get off the waitlist at UT. Expecting to be notified April 16 or 17.

Called yesterday.  Everyone who didn't get in the first time around is on a waitlist pending declines.  They have a ranking system, so your number could be anywhere from 35-500+.

I'm curious to find people who got in.  I've already decided on UT Austin, but I'd be interested to know how they choose their candidates, considering UT is ranked so much higher.

I found it interesting that I was rejected from Texas State, but placed well on the waitlist for UT... I thought it might have something to do with my being out of state, and  they might favor their in-state applicants more? I'm not broken-hearted because it would have been a pretty long drive, and also it wasn't my first choice. Still, it would be nice to know for sure that I could stay in the area!

I found it interesting that I was rejected from Texas State, but placed well on the waitlist for UT... I thought it might have something to do with my being out of state, and  they might favor their in-state applicants more? I'm not broken-hearted because it would have been a pretty long drive, and also it wasn't my first choice. Still, it would be nice to know for sure that I could stay in the area!

Agreed!  I actually think it has more to do with how heavily GPA was ranked, in my case at least.  I have extensive professional (out of field) experience and I kinda killed the GRE verbal portion, but only a somewhat competitive GPA.  Considering UT takes your GPA for your upper division only, and Texas State takes last 60, my TxState GPA would have been .10 lower than the way UT calculates.  I'm guessing that is what killed it, seeing as how GPA was the weakest part of my application portfolio. 

I know their average admitted last year was 3.8, as opposed to UT's 3.78.  

I'm not really heartbroken either- obviously UT is the higher-ranked school, but TxState does have some nice perks.  Would have been cool to have a choice.  

Agreed!  I actually think it has more to do with how heavily GPA was ranked, in my case at least.  I have extensive professional (out of field) experience and I kinda killed the GRE verbal portion, but only a somewhat competitive GPA.  Considering UT takes your GPA for your upper division only, and Texas State takes last 60, my TxState GPA would have been .10 lower than the way UT calculates.  I'm guessing that is what killed it, seeing as how GPA was the weakest part of my application portfolio. 

I know their average admitted last year was 3.8, as opposed to UT's 3.78.  

I'm not really heartbroken either- obviously UT is the higher-ranked school, but TxState does have some nice perks.  Would have been cool to have a choice.  

Congrats on UT!! Hopefully I might join you... The GPA makes sense, it wasn't my strong point either, but I spent so much time studying for the GRE last year that it helped me too :-) It's funny that their admissions committees look at different things for being in the same field, maybe being so close makes it really tough on them, especially since UT is higher ranked.

UT accepted 58 students so far, and wants a class of 35. according to statistics I found on UT's website, typically 30-35% of admitted students accept UT's offer. Although, this percentage has been as high as the 50s in a couple years. I am pretty optimistic about my chances to get in off thr waitlist. Just curious what perks does TxState have? I'm not too familiar with the program.

Here's the link for those past admitted vs enrolled statistics. On second look its more like 30-45% for most years. Still less than half, so likely less than 29 of the first rounders will accept leaving at least 6 more spots. This means they will likely have to go at least 12 spots deep on the waitlist, but likely deeper.

Here's the link for those past admitted vs enrolled statistics. On second look its more like 30-45% for most years. Still less than half, so likely less than 29 of the first rounders will accept leaving at least 6 more spots. This means they will likely have to go at least 12 spots deep on the waitlist, but likely deeper.

I hope so! I go from confident to freaking out constantly, especially now that next week is getting closer. 58 sounds like a lot of people to admit at first glance, but those statistics look good to me close up

• 4 weeks later...