Vanier Scholarship 2013

diegoab

Interesting, I did not know the ratio was that high, I thought it would be something more like 1/4... You mean Friday this week? Do you know if they email the results?

i am waiting too. my school told me that you could not really predict your chances. they told me last year 1 out of 5 from our school got it, the year before 6 out of 7. 

the email i received when they confirmed receiving my application said results would be out in may, so friday would definitely be nice!

Edited by JerriBlank

Last year the results were issued on the 30th of March. On Recherche.net it says it s on the 29th of March this year. I hope I am not wrong... I would be surprise if it s May because the Scholarship is supposed to start in May (I mean for those who choose this date). And usually the race for scholarships is done in May... For the ratio there is nothing official and I talked about a global ratio not a uni one (as far as I know I uni can get no vanier one year and then the next year have all its candidates to have it)

When I checked a while ago it orginially said March 31st (which is Sunday). Now it has changed to the 29th, so hopefully we will find out soon. I believe the number of Vanier scholars is dependent on the amount of research funding each University received from that particular funding agency (NSERC/SSHRC/CIHR). 

And this will determine the number of applications a school is willing to send and with the quality of the candidates on a national level the odds will change every year. So it difficult to guess your odds. 

i am on pins and needles too,...and flinch every time my email application chimes. The 29th sounds promising for an online posting of results on researchnet. It seems from last year's board that people got emails notifying them that the results were online (but not what the result was), and this seemed to happen faster than mailed letters arrived. So friday it is I guess!

Does anyone know where the results will be posted once you log on to researchnet? Will it be on the "completed activities" page?

Edited by EvolBiol

Does anyone know where the results will be posted once you log on to researchnet? Will it be on the "completed activities" page?

If it's the same than last year, the results should show up on Researchnet under "Current Activities" (which is empty at the moment). 

Hope the results are coming out this week. Do they have holidays on Friday as well? 

Good luck to everyone. 

I think potentially both. The results might get posted online first (you should get an email telling you they are up). Depending on how far from Ottawa you are, the letter may be a bit later...That's what I figure anyways, judging by last year's forum posts.

Results are out on research net (at least for sshrc). I ranked 69, there are 55 scholarships for sshrc this year

did you get an email telling you the results were online first?

Edited by EvolBiol

Results are out on research net (at least for sshrc). I ranked 69, there are 55 scholarships for sshrc this year

Heh. I just got my Banting result and I also ranked 69, with 23 awards for NSERC.

Well, are you running around celebrating, or just enjoy keeping me in suspense? ;)

who me? haven't looked yet. I have to finish a talk for tomorrow, and don't want bad news clouding my brain!

I didn't get an email from researchnet though...

Would this have been your first postdoc?