Ontario Trillium Scholarship

foucaultmania

Congrats, that's awesome that they nominated you for this :) Keep in mind that your tuition and student fees will need to be paid from the total amount of the award (as far as I know) when you are calculating what it would leave you with for a living stipend.

Congrats, that's awesome that they nominated you for this :) Keep in mind that your tuition and student fees will need to be paid from the total amount of the award (as far as I know) when you are calculating what it would leave you with for a living stipend.

This is true but it might also be the case that the department will top up the award with funding of their own, or you may also be paid an additional TA/RAship. The award statement says that 2/3 of the fund comes from the government while the remaining 1/3 comes from the school and they can make you TA or RA to earn this money. So, it's possible that the 40,000 per year is the only funding you'll see. With international student tuition on the order of $15,000-$20,000 per year, depending on the school, this usually leaves you with a stipend about equal to a domestic/Canadian non-scholarship student. If you do get a top-up from your department, then you would make about as much as a Canadian grad student on a scholarship! So, it's a pretty prestigious award, congrats on the nomination :)

Thank you very much for the responses. Yes, it is most generally said that the award is $40.000 per year but nobody knows that this award will cancel or not my regular funding supplied by the department should I be admitted for it. Finally, I have only be nominated, it is not sure, the committee of faculty of graduate studies at York will decide it. :)

I just heard that York will still offer a portion of funding, but I do not know what will be the form of it. If it will only be the remaining 1/3, it may not be good since normally York offers funding for 6 years but this award is for 4 years.

Who knows anyone who has already been accepted for this scholarship?

Thank you very much for the responses. Yes, it is most generally said that the award is $40.000 per year but nobody knows that this award will cancel or not my regular funding supplied by the department should I be admitted for it. Finally, I have only be nominated, it is not sure, the committee of faculty of graduate studies at York will decide it. :)

I just heard that York will still offer a portion of funding, but I do not know what will be the form of it. If it will only be the remaining 1/3, it may not be good since normally York offers funding for 6 years but this award is for 4 years.

Who knows anyone who has already been accepted for this scholarship?

Usually, when a student gets external funding and if the student already has a funding promise from the school, the general policy is that after the external scholarship, the student would get at least as much funding as they had before the external scholarship. So, it's likely that after the 4 year Trillium Scholarship runs out, you will still be supported by York for the remaining two years. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...

@Ocean's_Witch I assumed I would be informed if and when I receive my admit letter. I agree with you though. We may not be informed if we don't succeed. We are way past early March now. Have you received your admit letter from UofT otherwise?