Starting PhD and keeping current job

callista

So, I feel like I'm on an emotional roller coaster more than ever.  

I've received full funding, but... I'm an older student with a secure state job (and bills to pay.)  It seems like my best option (for now) might be to go down to 20 hours at this position (would make 2x TA stipend amount) and pay tuition.  I have money in a 529 and I might be able to get reimbursed for some classes through work.  I can work on getting funding for next year.

I think I'll feel better about things once I get some answers from HR, director of graduate studies, etc.  But I'm anxious about making this work and am doubting myself.  Anyone else in a similar situation?

I'm very aware that this is a first world problem... sorry.

Some questions to consider:

Are you planning to go to school full time or are you considering both work and school at half-time? Will teaching experience be beneficial to your future career goals? I don't think anyone expects to live well off of a PhD stipend, but can you make ends meet at your current funding level? Will doubling your income but paying tuition still provide you with more money than the full funding, and if so, is it worth all the additional stress of trying to juggle two priorities and a seriously busy workload?

I'm in a similar situation and I completely understand wanting to maintain ties with your current office, but I have been advised against additional work from my program--even just 2-3 hours/week externally. (This would be in addition to my full funding, which doesn't require TAing.) Primarily because you become very busy, very quickly and there is not a lot of time left over for external obligations. I have made the personal decision that this PhD is my top priority and I should devote all my time to getting the most out of it. I worked 20hrs/week in both my undergrad and masters programs, and I'm rather looking forward to actually having time to just do research and school work. How novel!

My main motivation for going to graduate school is personal fulfillment as well as to gain skills and knowledge. I want to do applied research in my field (public behavioral health) at the state agency where I work.  Teaching experience would be nice, but I don't plan to pursue a tenure track position.

No, I could not make ends meet at my current funding level.  My spouse was laid off recently, unexpectedly, and we have a mortgage.  Ultimately, if I were to choose between going to grad school and staying in this job, I would choose the latter.  I hope I don't have to, but... life is full of twists and turns.

Some questions to consider:

Are you planning to go to school full time or are you considering both work and school at half-time? Will teaching experience be beneficial to your future career goals? I don't think anyone expects to live well off of a PhD stipend, but can you make ends meet at your current funding level? Will doubling your income but paying tuition still provide you with more money than the full funding, and if so, is it worth all the additional stress of trying to juggle two priorities and a seriously busy workload?

I'm in a similar situation and I completely understand wanting to maintain ties with your current office, but I have been advised against additional work from my program--even just 2-3 hours/week externally. (This would be in addition to my full funding, which doesn't require TAing.) Primarily because you become very busy, very quickly and there is not a lot of time left over for external obligations. I have made the personal decision that this PhD is my top priority and I should devote all my time to getting the most out of it. I worked 20hrs/week in both my undergrad and masters programs, and I'm rather looking forward to actually having time to just do research and school work. How novel!

Hey Grace187, there seems to be an echo in here. ;) (I've done this on my mobile at least once...)

Having time to just do research and school work sounds very satisfying.  Enjoy it! :)

Hi callista,

Tough decision. From my personal experience, I would expect that most academics would encourage you to drop your job and TA instead. There's a general feeling in academic that you should give little consideration to $$ and make decisions based on what's good for your career long-term, etc.

I personally disagree with that sentiment 100%. I was choosing between PhD programs last year and I was in a situation where there was a $7,000 per year difference in stipend between one school and the other. The school that paid less was slightly higher ranked but not much, and I was not at all convinced that attending that school with give me any advantage. Certainly not to the point where I would sacrifice $35,000 to go there. 

For your situation, yes TA'ing is considered somewhat important.... But it is not a life-changing, esssential activity that is worth losing $25,000 a year or whatever to pursue. Ask any grad student who TA's about TA'ing, and they'll probably shrug and say, "It's a requirement." You can always TA 1 or 2 courses later in your program, maybe when your schedule is easier, you're done with your own classes, etc. 

Good luck!

Hi callista,

Tough decision. From my personal experience, I would expect that most academics would encourage you to drop your job and TA instead. There's a general feeling in academic that you should give little consideration to $$ and make decisions based on what's good for your career long-term, etc.

I personally disagree with that sentiment 100%. I was choosing between PhD programs last year and I was in a situation where there was a $7,000 per year difference in stipend between one school and the other. The school that paid less was slightly higher ranked but not much, and I was not at all convinced that attending that school with give me any advantage. Certainly not to the point where I would sacrifice $35,000 to go there. 

For your situation, yes TA'ing is considered somewhat important.... But it is not a life-changing, esssential activity that is worth losing $25,000 a year or whatever to pursue. Ask any grad student who TA's about TA'ing, and they'll probably shrug and say, "It's a requirement." You can always TA 1 or 2 courses later in your program, maybe when your schedule is easier, you're done with your own classes, etc. 

Good luck!

Frankly, I think it's different when you're talking about choosing between two programs based on funding and working 'on the side' while in a PhD program. The expectation is that if you're a 'full-time' PhD student that that is your job. I'm not saying it's impossible or unwise to have another job, but I don't think it's illegitimate for departments and faculties to be concerned enough to mandate reasonable limits or strongly discourage it.

I completely disagree with the above re: TAing, not only for myself but for others I know. Yes, it can be frustrating and sometimes tedious but it also can be very fulfilling. I enjoy interacting with students and helping them achieve things, and I think TAing also tends to create stronger connections to the department and the broader mission of what's going on at a university, not just your own small corner of research. Obviously, YMMV.

For the OP, you mention you have financial constraints, so that's probably the most important thing to consider in the short-term, + the fact that your goal isn't necessarily academia, leads me to think the better course of action is continuing to work.    

Thanks for your thoughtful comments.  I actually want to TA.  However, they won't allow additional work on top of the 20 hours of TAing - which makes total sense.

I'm 40 years old.  I have a career.  If pursuing a PhD at doesn't work out, it won't be the end of the world - just a part of my journey.  I have reasons to believe that I could make this work; I'm an experienced project manager and I see this as a long term personal project.  :)

I see what you're saying wtncffts. TA'ing is a worthwhile activity for any grad student. I just think that if you multiple the OP's yearly opportunity cost of TA'ing by 5 or however many years the program is, you'll see a number that's really hard to walk away from. But anyway we arrived at the same conclusion - although you got there without undermining the importance of TA'ing :)

Good luck with your planning and decision making callista.

Thought I would update this.  They are OK with me working part time and putting off TAing for a year.  Very relieved. :)  Thanks again to everyone who commented.