Student Loans / Loan Forgiveness, etc.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know of any schools that offer in-state tuition to out-of-state applicants?

Worcester State (in Mass) has one tuition rate for both in state and out of state - it's only about $14,800 total in tuition and fees for the program. However I just visited and got a bad vibe, so have crossed it off my list.

Worcester State (in Mass) has one tuition rate for both in state and out of state - it's only about $14,800 total in tuition and fees for the program. However I just visited and got a bad vibe, so have crossed it off my list.

Care to elaborate on the bad vibe? I didn't apply there, just curious. 

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know of any schools that offer in-state tuition to out-of-state applicants? 

Assuming you're a California resident, there are a number of schools that you'd be eligible for in-state tuition at through the WRGP program. Eastern Washington, Idaho State, Utah State, CU Boulder, University of Northern Colorado, and maybe a few others I'm forgetting offer it to students coming for SLP master's programs. Definitely something worth looking into; the ability to get in-state tuition had a huge influence on where I applied (as my signature shows, lol).

Assuming you're a California resident, there are a number of schools that you'd be eligible for in-state tuition at through the WRGP program. Eastern Washington, Idaho State, Utah State, CU Boulder, University of Northern Colorado, and maybe a few others I'm forgetting offer it to students coming for SLP master's programs. Definitely something worth looking into; the ability to get in-state tuition had a huge influence on where I applied (as my signature shows, lol).

WOW! I did not know this. Wow. Thank you so much for posting this, seriously.

Any reason you feel like sharing that you didn't apply to any SoCal school?

Edited by SLPsara

The only school I was accepted to was out of state and I was thinking of just becoming a resident after my first year and sticking around for a few years. I'm looking at 50k in tuition only for the whole two years in addition to the $40,000 for undergrad/postbac. That doesn't even cover living expenses, although I may get some help from my parents. Right now my only hope is to do the PSLF program and get my debt forgiven after 10 years.

So far I've only been accepted to an out of state school also. Idk if you've done any research on becoming a resident for in state tuition, but typically you need to be a resident for 1 year before the program begins to qualify. Hopefully this is not the case for you, but I didn't want you to be caught by surprise if it is!

I'm jumping into this conversation kind of late, but I'm pretty sure in Massachusetts if you work in a lower income school for 5 years, you are eligible to get part of your student loans forgiven (NOT ALL). I'm not sure how much, but that is definitely a perk I would check into once you graduate. Not sure if they do this in others states (I would guess they do)! I'm lucky I chose to go to an in-state school for undergrad because grad school is going to cost me a lot, but it could be worse!

WOW! I did not know this. Wow. Thank you so much for posting this, seriously.

Any reason you feel like sharing that you didn't apply to any SoCal school?

I did apply to SDSU and CSU Chico, but I pretty much felt like most of the CA public schools (wasn't interested in private school tuition) would be a waste of application fees given how absurdly competitive they seem to be. Between looking at number of applicants vs number accepted and hearing that a number of the CSU's seem to heavily favor their own undergraduates in the admissions process, I decided it would be better for me to focus my energy elsewhere. I'm also interested in settling outside of California in the long run, so that played into it as well.

My mentor has explained that once you get into the SLP field you can apply for second SLP jobs that are PRN (as needed). The medical field employs these and they can work for up to $90 an hour in some areas!!! The pay is high. Need is high. The shifts are normally on weekends and holidays, but it's a good way to earn extra money to pay down the loans. I have 100K in undergraduate debt. My monthly payments are 1,000 a month. I'm trying to get into a school less than 35,000 for total program. If I take out all loans for that amount my monthly payments will be less than 400 a month. 1400 is a lot a month. There are people who make it work. However,it's best to limit your debt as much as you can!!!! Choose the 30K over 57K program. As long as you go to a program that is accredited, has excellent job placement rates and Praxis pass rates, you'll be coming out making 60,000 to start. Higher depending on placement. Eastern New Mexico University charges in-state Tution to students who take less than 6 credits a semester. You'd get your masters in 3 years for only 12K!! Only kicker is have to complete on campus clinical for 4 months. Ive heavily researched this school and that's one of the only negatives I've found.

• 2 weeks later...

My mentor has explained that once you get into the SLP field you can apply for second SLP jobs that are PRN (as needed). The medical field employs these and they can work for up to $90 an hour in some areas!!! The pay is high. Need is high. The shifts are normally on weekends and holidays, but it's a good way to earn extra money to pay down the loans. I have 100K in undergraduate debt. My monthly payments are 1,000 a month. I'm trying to get into a school less than 35,000 for total program. If I take out all loans for that amount my monthly payments will be less than 400 a month. 1400 is a lot a month. There are people who make it work. However,it's best to limit your debt as much as you can!!!! Choose the 30K over 57K program. As long as you go to a program that is accredited, has excellent job placement rates and Praxis pass rates, you'll be coming out making 60,000 to start. Higher depending on placement. Eastern New Mexico University charges in-state Tution to students who take less than 6 credits a semester. You'd get your masters in 3 years for only 12K!! Only kicker is have to complete on campus clinical for 4 months. Ive heavily researched this school and that's one of the only negatives I've found.

Would you mind sharing how you ended up with 100k undergraduate debt?