Wisconsin-Madison CS vs. Columbia OR...deadline of response in a week...help!!

zgzjhzxhq

This result may be kind of weird, as I applied to two different disciplines.

My interest lies in algorithm design, programming and algorithmic game theory. But I am eager to apply this into reality instead of leading a academic career. My undergrad major is Computer Science.

Wisconsin-Madison offers Computer Science Phd with fellowship and Operations Research MS AD. It seems to have a higher rankings in usnews. The location is, may not be as good as New York. I don't know how is the job market for their graduates.

Columbia offers MS in Operations Research. Better location but I have heard this graduate of this program is not very popular.

My goal is to find a job after graduation. And I don't think I really need a Phd to find a job. (though I could quit as MS in Madison, Madison offers a defer in decision until second year.). I don't want to stay on campus and do research all my life. What should I choose?

I know perhaps you have experienced only one of the two field. But any information and advices are welcome. Thanks in advance!

I've heart great things about Madison, WI. The PhD would give you more mobility in your field and has the very significant advantage of being free. Meanwhile Columbia's program isn't very well regarded and a master's degree might leave some doors closed compared to the doctorate, especially since Wisc's program is so strong. And congratulations on being admitted, especially with a fellowship! Your research interests must be well-represented there of they're offering you such a generous stipend.

"Follow the money"..

Accept the Wisconsin admission, you get a fellowship and won't have to pay money for graduate school.

Your job outlook would probably be much better with a PhD

I've heart great things about Madison, WI. The PhD would give you more mobility in your field and has the very significant advantage of being free. Meanwhile Columbia's program isn't very well regarded and a master's degree might leave some doors closed compared to the doctorate, especially since Wisc's program is so strong. And congratulations on being admitted, especially with a fellowship! Your research interests must be well-represented there of they're offering you such a generous stipend.

Thx~~I think so too... but my parents just think Columbia is so much more heard of than Wisc... My interest is actually theoretical computer science and optimization.. not sure if Wisc is strong in that... but I see Columbia's operations research is famous except bad reputation on its MSOR....

"Follow the money"..

Accept the Wisconsin admission, you get a fellowship and won't have to pay money for graduate school.

Your job outlook would probably be much better with a PhD

My question is this.. is it because Wisc is not actually good as Columbia so it gives money?? I know top school do not offer fellowship so generously, say, i am not as a top student as i think...

My question is this.. is it because Wisc is not actually good as Columbia so it gives money?? I know top school do not offer fellowship so generously, say, i am not as a top student as i think...

Your are right, generally top schools offer less funding the lower ranked schools, but you have missed the point a little.

First of all, it is silly to go to into debt because of graduate school, especially when you have a great offer with funding from a great school like U Wisconsin Madison. Do you know that you were selected as a PhD candidate with funding from over ~1300 prospective applicants? Don't underestimate this achievement. Some entering PhD candidates did not get funding, and will dismiss the admission offer to the PhD program. If you browse thru various threads in this forum, you will find out the the more funding you have - the better chance you will finish the program.

Secondly, U Wisconsin Madison is highly ranked in graduate studies in Computer Science - it is more respected than Columbia, Harvard or some other ivy league or reputed university. Columbia is great school for undergraduate studies - but you are looking a graduate program.

Check out: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-science-schools/computer-science-rankings

Columbia U is ranked 17, U Wisconsin Madison is 11.

Finally, research interests and fit is very flexible. Most entering CS PhD students change their research areas once they enter the PhD program because they are suddenly interested in another area. Don't be to worried about it at this stage.