Columbia SEAS vs NYU Poly

chinp

Hi all

Well I have admits from columbia SEAS and NYU poly for computer engineering program and I am totally confused because Columbia is obviously better ranked and all but it is not offering me any aid whereas NYU is.

Without any aid, Columbia will be an extremely expensive school to go to but then I dont want to choose NYU and then regret my decision later. I have already rejected the offer from virginia tech as I wanted to go to NY :) .

Please help and thanx in advance !!

Personally, I would follow the money.  NYU Poly is a well-respected engineering institution; you shouldn't have a problem getting employment from there, and I doubt the extra leverage Columbia SEAS could offer is going to be worth the extra debt you'd go into unless NYU's aid is so small as to be irrelevant.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey chinp. I'm in the exact same siutation as you except I'll be doing an MSEE program. I'm debating on taking a (partially) funded NYU Poly admit vs. an unfunded, more costly, Columbia admit. I was set on Columbia but just got my NYU Poly admit today so have to think it over a bit more.

I'm not sure if I want to work after I graduate or get my PhD but I want to keep both options open. I think it'll depend on how much I enjoy the research I plan on doing while getting my masters. I realize that you can get into a PhD program or find employment from NYU Poly. I just wonder how much more of a benefit Columbia's program would be in either case and if it would be worth the extra debt I'd have to take.

For me, the aid is pretty significant and it would minimize the amount of loans I'd have to take out. The extra debt I'd have for Columbia would be manageable though assuming I get a job out of school. I'm not sure if this would be the case if I go for a PhD program.

Have you decided yet? Anybody else have input on this situation?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there!

Well, I got acception for both of them (NYU-Poly and Columbia) for PhD in Civil Engineering. But my situation is different cause I got a brazilian scholarship that will cover all the costs (tuitions, fees,...) and will give me a monthly stipend to live there during all my PhD program. So, I decided for Columbia!

Anyway, I understand your situation (in general, Columbia is a better school than NYU-Poly) but if you have to go for NYU-Poly, don't be afraid cause I know it's also a really good school and you will get some great opportunities from there too!

Does anyone know about Civil Engineering at Columbia and NYU-Poly? Is Columbia program much better than NYU-Poly?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone and thanks for the advice. I have finally made a decision and am going to Columbia and not NYU Poly as the scholarship is not very significant and considering the pros and cons, I think Columbia would be a better option as I have no plans to go for a PhD after completing my masters. I hope it turns out to be the right decision  :)