Looking for a Book Recommendation: Winter Soldier/Vietnam War Protests

New England Nat

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a book about veteran anti Vietnam war protests.  I don't have any objection to a serious book about John Kerry in this context but I'd like to avoid the puff pieces and the swiftboating stuff that came out during the 2004 campaign.

Christian Appy also has an Oral History-based book called Vietnam: The Definitive History - that's pretty good.

Otherwise, for general anti-war protests, I'd try Kenneth Heineman's Campus Wars.

Hope that helps!

I am fascinated by David Harris and the Draft Resistance Movement. An even more interesting history would be that of those deserters and draft evaders who went to Canada and elsewhere, including the continued prosecution by the government after the war until Carter pardoned everyone one day into office in 1977. Many stayed in Canada, which impacted the politics there.

Here are some interesting tangent sources, I think others could better recommend more focused works, but as a leftist nerd/ historian, I obviously geek out on protest movements of the last century.  Here are some things, I really liked in my more cursory interest:

Suran, Justin David.  “Coming Out Against the War: Antimilitarism and the Politicization of Homosexuality in the Era of Vietnam.”  American Quarterly.  51 (2001): 452-488.

Documentaries (All of these are on Netflix instant):  The War at Home (1979), Berkeley in the Sixties (1990), and The Weather Underground (2002). The War at Home is my favorite personally, and is mostly about Madison, Wi.

The War at Home is a fantastic documentary. I used parts of it in one of my lessons about the 60s. It is very to the point and avoids all the bad 60s cliches, which students know all too well. 

• 7 years later...

John Douglas Marshall, Reconciliation Road: A Family Odyssey. This work also provides details of the SLA Marshall controversy and interesting information on T. Jackson Lears.