How important is taking an econ class when applying to grad school in Public Policy or IR?

shadowzoid

Hey, I'm currently an undergrad with a bunch of misconceptions about grad school. I want to apply to a public policy or IR program, and looking online, many "recommend" taking at least a microecon class. Seeing as I already took AP econ, taking a college econ class would just be for my transcript, not knowledge, which seems like a waste to me (my university doesn't accept Econ AP credit, so I can't take a random econ elective instead until I pass the intro classes). How important is taking an econ class for these universities that recommend taking one? Because if it isn't that important, then I would rather spend my time more productively. 

Thanks. 

• 10 months later...

Economics in the field of public policy and international relations are very important. I myself am applying to a Masters Program and I am currently in a micro class. 

The reason for its important is the following. Government and austerity are two concepts that have become very intertwined recently. Any policy recommendations you make (either domestic or international) MUST be backed up with numbers. So having a strong foundation in economics will essentially make you a better analyst. So take it anyway, there is nothing wrong with a refresher. 

Hope this helps. 

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think it's that important to make sure the course appears on your transcript. The most critical thing is to show to the grad schools that you're already equipped with adequate economic background. You can include your AP econ in the quantitative/analytic resume, which some public policy schools require. Anyway, you can still add one if it's not required. 

• 10 months later...

Econ is important and if you get into a program, they will most likely still make you take an undergrad econ course.  May as well take one while still in undergrad.  There are many different econ courses you can take as an undergrad, if you are interested in learning. 

Most of my grad schools in International Affairs require micro&macro economic courses. 

My current undergrad school even requires IR majors to take Statistics. Gah, I hated it lol! Surprisingly, I have not come across many graduate programs that ask for STATS. Only Economics.

Edited by Guest